is dr cafta working?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
to my understanding u.s. products are supposed to come in tax free... anyone seen twinkies? levi's? bud? is this working at all?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
You presumably don't have a very good understanding of it all. We have had an ongoing thread for a couple of months about anything over $200.00 being imported pays a tax of 18% etc..

your response is very restrained, to say the least.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
sorry...but im thinking that a container load of twinkies not your personal purchase...
the international agreement is not for your purchases...it is for international trading....products made in u.s. can come to d.r. tax free to stimulate interntl, trade.??

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Working for whom and to do what? I'm no expert, but my observation is that the DR infrastructure has limited the effectiveness of exports (transportation cartels, energy costs, e.g.), and the tax structure is not kind to imports [or anything else]. And then, of course, there is that pesky little problem of corruption. The US side is not without inhibitions. Sugar, rice, and other agricultural subsidies, are notable. Apparel may fare better.

shorts

Dec 3, 2012
I'm curious about this also.

There is an import/export free trade agreement in place between the US and DR.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
As with any other legal document, the DR-CAFTA is more complicated and nuanced. 'Free' trade is not completely 'free'. The Agreement is a volume of specific provisions that were politically worked out over a period of time. It is not as simple as you think. You can google the Agreement and have a look. Beware, it's a pretty long document.

spartanx15

Jan 26, 2007
As someone who has done a lot of importing of electronics (servers, radios, routers, fiber optic equipment, etc) DR-CAFTA does not seem relevant. We still pay huge taxes and fees. And if we're lucky all the nuts and bolts will be in the boxes when we finally get them. Have even had circuit boards missing or damaged. Plus we have to allow up to 6 weeks to clear customs. Having, also, read DR-CAFTA to find out what catagory our imports are in can take hours and never found anything even close.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
As someone who has done a lot of importing of electronics (servers, radios, routers, fiber optic equipment, etc) DR-CAFTA does not seem relevant. We still pay huge taxes and fees. And if we're lucky all the nuts and bolts will be in the boxes when we finally get them. Have even had circuit boards missing or damaged. Plus we have to allow up to 6 weeks to clear customs. Having, also, read DR-CAFTA to find out what catagory our imports are in can take hours and never found anything even close.

from which country do you source your electronics? if the origin is not the US, then DRCAFTA rules do not apply.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Are the iteme MADE IN THE USA? If not, no DR-CAFTA application

from which country do you source your electronics? if the origin is not the US, then DRCAFTA rules do not apply.

Exactly. Just because you purchase an item from a vendor in the US, it is not covered under DR-CAFTA unless it is MADE IN THE USA according to the details of that agreement. Almost nobody makes electronics in the US, so the purchase of electronics is rarely if ever going to fall under DR-CAFTA

There are more Chevrolet cars in the DR since before DR-CAFTA.

And yes the agreement is very complicated.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
DR-CAFTA has resulted in many more US products on store shelves at competitive prices. This is especially apparent in grocery stores.

This has led to increased quality in locally produced products, again seen in the grocery stores. I cite mayo & catsup as just two but no doubt there are many more.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
This has led to increased quality in locally produced products, again seen in the grocery stores. I cite mayo & catsup as just two but no doubt there are many more.

If the agreement increases the quality of DR products it will have a consequence I didn't anticipate, and a really good thing! If it also positively impacts inefficiencies, that will be spectacular!

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
If the agreement increases the quality of DR products it will have a consequence I didn't anticipate, and a really good thing! If it also positively impacts inefficiencies, that will be spectacular!
Competition brings out the best in capitalism...

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I would agree CB, but, unregulated capitalism can create unfortunate consequences, a la, the
Recession of 2007.
It was REGULATION that created that problem, going back as far as the CRA in 1978, in the first place, when the whole thing began: gubmint picking winners and losers in an economy.

Crony capitalism is NOT "capitalism." The latter should not suffer for the corrupt excesses of the former.

Unintended consequences.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
DR-CAFTA has resulted in many more US products on store shelves at competitive prices. This is especially apparent in grocery stores.

this is what im asking about...catsup....made in usa of us products should be on shelves by now....imported with no import tax by dr cafta...i mean what else are we making ? chicken is regulated...beef and all meats are the same...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
this is what im asking about...catsup....made in usa of us products should be on shelves by now....imported with no import tax by dr cafta...i mean what else are we making ? chicken is regulated...beef and all meats are the same...

never seen Hunts and Heinz here? where do you shop?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
It was REGULATION that created that problem, going back as far as the CRA in 1978, in the first place, when the whole thing began: gubmint picking winners and losers in an economy.

Crony capitalism is NOT "capitalism." The latter should not suffer for the corrupt excesses of the former.

Unintended consequences.

i thought you attributed the collapse of the economy in 2007 to the home mortgage default rate. so which is it? regulation, or default?

Status
Not open for further replies.