Don't believe everything you read or hear

P

PJT

This is your typical story of dealing with bureaucracy and people. Yesterday, the 10th, was my initiation to renew my vehicle registration or in Dominican terms, Renovacion de Placa. Basically it is your payment of taxes to make your vehicle legal at least with the tax department, ?Direccion General De Impuestos Internos? and they give you a sticker you place on your vehicle windshield to prove they caught you. Mind you, this is only one incident in my recent history of dealing with the government and its agents.
Last week I read a notice in the DR1 news and similar ones in the newspapers, that it is time for vehicle registration, starting Dec 5 and ending Dec 16. It is a very short time, compared to a two-month renewal period allowed last year. Maybe the bureaucrats have streamlined the process? They mentioned where you may go for the transaction; the tax office and banks such as Baninter, Banco Progresso, and Banco Reservas. Well!!! I live in the Bavaro area, so I went to Baninter. I inquired. Nope, they haven?t got them, they haven?t arrived. Went to BHD. Nope we don?t do them, try Banco Popular. Went to Banco Popular and asked the girl at the information desk can I get my placa here, she directs me to the teller?s window. I wait in line for ten minutes, only one person in line ahead of me. Alas, a teller is available. I go to the slot. Do you have placas? Nope. Well!!! I have business in Higuey at the Banco Reservas, lets try there. I drive the 30 miles to Higuey, arrive at the bank and get in line, eight people ahead of me. Fifteen minutes later I get to the teller. Oh senior, you have to go over to that desk over there, he says. I go over to the desk and wait the mandatory five minutes; the clerk is on the phone. She later turns to me and asks how can she serve me. Serve me up a placa, I say. No can do, she says. Try the tax department in the town center is her next statement. Well I drive to Ave. Guzman and pull over to the side in front of a government office and ask a local, ?is the tax department inside? sure he says motioning to the door. I pull around the block and park half on the sidewalk and half on the street. This is proper Dominican parking etiquette; it is better to obstruct a pedestrian on the sidewalk than have your vehicle remodeled by the passing traffic on the narrow streets. Getting back to the government office, guess what??? It is the courthouse; there is no tax office there. I ask an intelligent looking gent, (he had a briefcase and tie) where is the tax office? He smiles and motions me to a building across the street. I dodge the motoconchos while I cross the street heading for the other government building. I gingerly step inside. Guess what??? There are posters on the door and walls advising it is time to renew. Gracias A Dios!!! I made it. No line. I hand over my registration and copy to the clerk. He looks it over, looks me over, looks it over again, and looks at me again. He starts writing on the back of the copy, pulls out and uses the rubber stamp over and over again, pounding on the paperwork. He then opens a draw and pulls out the sticker. He writes on the sticker form. I think I finally made it. No, not yet. Pay up he says. Ahhhh!!! 1,145 pesos. Regards PJT

J

Justin

PJT: A quick question for you...

Do you know if Maldy's Restaurant is still open in Bavaro? Or how it's doing? Just curious. I know the owner and haven't talked to him in a quite a while. Sorry to hear about your difficulties with the government. Better Luck in the future!

-Justin