seasons

T

Theresa

Re: can this be added to ...

the Ken Merritt and Cejay, and sarah irene ongoing list, Loren?

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

The seasons in DR are subject to opinion, I guess. There is a Summer(very hot one) and there is an Autum period when the leaves change colors, specially in the mountainous areas and fall is now. You can feel the cool breeze of fall right now. Spring is probably the most doubtful season to me. Its hard to tell when it is. For anyone from a cold country abroad it may seem there is only one season(summer year round), but it isn't so. We, those who live here, notice the difference although we use air-conditioning year-round.

P

Pib

Does Seasons Restaurant count?

I think that the way you worded your question made it sound quite silly. Check the thread linked below, I specially recommend Susanne's post, very thorough and intelligent response.

G

GringoCarlos

We have Hurricane Season, which lasts from June through November.

We also have Wet Seasons and Dry Seasons. I have lived in the Caribbean many years, but I haven't lived here long enough to know the timing in the DR for sure, but think it is Wet Season here from about June through August, and then again in Oct and November, but dry (or lots drier) usually from December through April.

Ask a camposino, and he would know in a minute, and tell you because he is in touch with Mother Nature here. Most City dominicanos, most gringos and most europeans here won't have a clue, or will try to compare seasons in the Caribbean to the seasons in New York or Bonn.

Hope this helps you.

L

Loren

Theresa, you're right...

That's a doozy, but lets have the benefit of the doubt, perhaps a young student is doing a school project.

The Earth has 4 seasons, determined by the dates of the Equinox and the Solstice. The Solstices are the longest and shortest days of the year and mark the beginnings of Winter and Summer. The shortest day of the year in the northern Hemisphere is the Winter Solstice and the longest is the Summer Solstice. The Spring and fall Equinoxes (from "equal-night") mark the two days of the year when daylight and darkness are equal in proportion.

The seasons are reversed in the Northern and Southern Hemisphere so that when it's summer in Newfoundland it's winter in Tierra del Fuego. The Dominican Republic is in the Northern Hemisphere so they share the same seasonal pattern as North America.