dominican born child visiting USA. question.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
My baby is less than 2 yrs old. Mom is dominican citizen and baby is born in santiago.
through me, he got US passport (citizenship). he has dominican birth certificate and lives in DR.
question:
I need to take him to USA to visit along with his mom. the question is: if he travels in US Passport then will he be treated like a dominican national leaving DR or as an american citizen? remember, he lives in DR and born here and mom is dominican. So he leaves for usa and comes back. at the dominican airport would they allow him to come back as dominican citizen or will he be treated as american tourist? will they require me to buy a tourist card? If he is treated like a tourist then will I have to pay late penalty for over stay in future?
Please no guesses or imaginations. I need someone who seem to have 1st hand experience with this situation. I have heard mixed opinions but no real facts. No one seem to answer my question.
Please answer as soon as possible as I am leaving in 2 days.
AZB

May 12, 2005
He will come and go from the US as a citizen. On the way back he will be exempt from the tourist card. Just fill out the form for people born in DR that they hand out on the plane. Should be no issues. Did you get your child his DR passport?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
He will come and go from the US as a citizen. On the way back he will be exempt from the tourist card. Just fill out the form for people born in DR that they hand out on the plane. Should be no issues. Did you get your child his DR passport?

No DR passport. would that be a problem?
AZB

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I was born in the DR and raised in the states. I became a US citizen in 1988. I have a US
passport and got rid of the DR passport. I only travel with my US passport back and forth
to the US and the DR. When I go to the DR I fill out the forms as a DR citizen and coming
back as a US citizen. On the US passport it says born in the DR, so when you present his
US passport immigration will see that he is a dual citizen and will not be required to pay
entry or tourist fee. No tourist card required.

AZB, take it from me , he will not need DR passport.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
thank you very much both of you. Now I feel very confident. No one was able to answer my question better than you 2 guys have answered. may god give both of you 2 cold beers.
AZB

karnes

Sep 26, 2013
You will never have to pay late fees if someone asks just point out the birth location on the passport. Had to do this with my daughter who was born in Higuey and has a canadian passport.

Feb 7, 2007
I have DR daughter, she has both DR and European passport. I used for her to leave on DR passport until couple of trips ago the DR immigration officer in PUJ told me she can leave/enter on ANY of the two passports. Showing a proof of her DR citizenship (either by birth certificate or DR passport) would exempt her from paying overstay fee and/or tourist card. Since then, she has been leaving/entering on EU passport, along with the pink/blue slip I always request when I come in with her (entrada/salida de menores) so I no longer have to request notarized permission (and sealed at Migracion) from the mother, I just hand in the pink/blue slip (color depends on which copy you get). Saves 4,000 pesos each trip.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
No DR passport. would that be a problem?
AZB

Not at all. No need to have a DR passport for the child. I have this situation in my own family. The US passport acts as a golden pass back and forth. It is like the child caught the golden ring on the Merry Go Round of the world without even having to try because you were a US citizen and did your part to get that US passport. Do not worry about this. You will pay an exit fee for the child and that is about it.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Not at all. No need to have a DR passport for the child. I have this situation in my own family. The US passport acts as a golden pass back and forth. It is like the child caught the golden ring on the Merry Go Round of the world without even having to try because you were a US citizen and did your part to get that US passport. Do not worry about this. You will pay an exit fee for the child and that is about it.

Good to know that the child being born in the DR should eliminate the exit fee as well. The child in my family was not born in the DR.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
US Passport notes Born in the Dominican Republic.

There is no reason to carry Birth Certificate and no reason to get Dominican Passport either.

g'luck

sorry AZB, still using old nokia, so no watsap

DRdreaming

Jul 29, 2014
I have DR daughter, she has both DR and European passport. I used for her to leave on DR passport until couple of trips ago the DR immigration officer in PUJ told me she can leave/enter on ANY of the two passports. Showing a proof of her DR citizenship (either by birth certificate or DR passport) would exempt her from paying overstay fee and/or tourist card. Since then, she has been leaving/entering on EU passport, along with the pink/blue slip I always request when I come in with her (entrada/salida de menores) so I no longer have to request notarized permission (and sealed at Migracion) from the mother, I just hand in the pink/blue slip (color depends on which copy you get). Saves 4,000 pesos each trip.

Could you explain what this form is? I left in September with a friend and her daughter(dominican born, British passport), and she had to get the notarized form, which the lawyer never had stamped at immigration. They gave her quite a hassle, and she almost missed her flight. I didn't realize there was another option.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
My baby is less than 2 yrs old. Mom is dominican citizen and baby is born in santiago.
through me, he got US passport (citizenship). he has dominican birth certificate and lives in DR.
question:
I need to take him to USA to visit along with his mom. the question is: if he travels in US Passport then will he be treated like a dominican national leaving DR or as an american citizen? remember, he lives in DR and born here and mom is dominican. So he leaves for usa and comes back. at the dominican airport would they allow him to come back as dominican citizen or will he be treated as american tourist? will they require me to buy a tourist card? If he is treated like a tourist then will I have to pay late penalty for over stay in future?
Please no guesses or imaginations. I need someone who seem to have 1st hand experience with this situation. I have heard mixed opinions but no real facts. No one seem to answer my question.
Please answer as soon as possible as I am leaving in 2 days.
AZB

Because you post that you want advice from someone with personal.experience with this exact situation, I highly suggest you visit ; www.dominicanstotheusa.com and pose this question directly at D-mo via personal message. Use my name if you wish. He has first hand experience, is a good man, and a site moderator.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
The passport will says place of birth Dominican Republic, with his birth cerfificate where says that his mother is dominican that will be good for them not charge the 10.00 dollars turist card for visitors.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Travel on Swiss passport. Present dr cedula as arrive in dr, passport not needed.
No tourist card, no exit fee.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
The birth certificate is important because you can wasborn in Dominican Republic but that do not makes you Dominican, as is a kid will need birth certificate to proof is Dominican. Adults will need a Dominican Cedula.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
AZB
Done this last year with my son to Orlando. Left here with his US passport, Mother carried his Birth Certificate. No problem. entered the US at Miami, All three of us entered through the US line as there were few people. When we entered DR they looked at his passport says born in DR. all three of us entered through the DR citizen line, (I have residency). He was only 2 then, does not have a Dominican passport. No one asked for the birth certificate.

Questions PM me

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
AZB
Done this last year with my son to Orlando. Left here with his US passport, Mother carried his Birth Certificate. No problem. entered the US at Miami, All three of us entered through the US line as there were few people. When we entered DR they looked at his passport says born in DR. all three of us entered through the DR citizen line, (I have residency). He was only 2 then, does not have a Dominican passport. No one asked for the birth certificate.

Questions PM me

I have a friend that he was born here now he is US Citizend, and they asked him for his Dominican Cedula even said in his passport place of birth Dominican Republic.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
I have a friend that he was born here now he is US Citizend, and they asked him for his Dominican Cedula even said in his passport place of birth Dominican Republic.

How old is your friend? My son was 2 therefore no cedula. can't have one until he is 18. This might be the difference!