Arryo honda ???

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Arryo honda, or something that sounds like that........

Is it a nice neighbourhood ??? Secure ???? Upper class ????

Just trying to satisfy my curiosity....... a retired couple that we know from back home in switzerland are moving in to a house they habe just bought there. She is dominicana, he is swiss-italian.
They are supposed to move in begining of december, but their story is full of holes.....
If anyone has any info on the neighborgood or even better on the house,it would be much appriciated........

P.S. I am trying to satisfy my curiosity, but also I am wondering if we should/want to visit them end of this year / begining of the next. We are redneck campisinos and I do not like going places I do not know.......

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Malko, from things I have read, I think that Arroyo Hondo in SD is where Criss Colon lives. Maybe you could send him a PM?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Why only PM? I might be interested in Arroyo Hondo too. Next year we'll move on for sure. Higuey isn't working for us. We are thinking La Romana or SDQ... Any information is welcome. :)

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Arryo honda, or something that sounds like that........

Is it a nice neighbourhood ??? Secure ???? Upper class ????

Just trying to satisfy my curiosity....... a retired couple that we know from back home in switzerland are moving in to a house they habe just bought there. She is dominicana, he is swiss-italian.
They are supposed to move in begining of december, but their story is full of holes.....
If anyone has any info on the neighborgood or even better on the house,it would be much appriciated........

P.S. I am trying to satisfy my curiosity, but also I am wondering if we should/want to visit them end of this year / begining of the next. We are redneck campisinos and I do not like going places I do not know.......

I have been to several homes in Arroyo Hondo and they were very secure luxury type houses and like most Dominican neighbourhoods you can have a shack next to a mansion but it general it seemed to be upper middle class to Rich. I'd live there because the roads are fairly decent and there are lots of trees.

Aug 6, 2006
Arroyo Hondo translates to "Deep Gully".

But "Arroyo Hondo" does sound more profound. Like a place name from an old John Wayne film.

Showdown at Arroyo Hondo.
Bandits of Arroyo Hondo.
The Legend of Arroyo Hondo.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Arroyo Hondo has its upper (rich), middle class as well as barrios. It is a huge area.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I have lived in Arroyo Hondo for almost 20 years!!!!!!........"OMG"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I rented a house for a year, then bought a house 2 blocks away.
As BOB said, there are "POOD BARIOS" surrounding every neighborhood in SD!
When my "Morena"wife used to tell the other students at University that she lived in "Arroyo Hondo" they wrinkled their noses and said,...."Must be "La Puya" de Arroyo Hondo"!!!!!
A Poor Barrio near where we live.

Malko, "Redneck Campesinos" are NOT ALLOWED to enter Arroyo Hondo!
I live in a section called "Las Colinas de Arroyo Hondo", it's right next to the ZOO, so I feel right,..."AT HOME" here!

Aug 6, 2006
The Man from Arroyo Hondo has spoken!

Noses were unbefittingly wrinkled!

I hope you are downwind from the Monkey House.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
The Man from Arroyo Hondo has spoken!

Noses were unbefittingly wrinkled!

I hope you are downwind from the Monkey House.

There is a wall separating the poor (barrios) in Arroyo Hondo from the well to do or
upper to middle class.

I know a few people who live in barrios in Arroyo Hondo.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Thanks for the heads up CC !!!

I'll be sure to be on my best behaviour......I'll swap the cargo pants for a pair of jeans, rangers for shoes...... I might even wear a shirt !!!
I also promise to wear matching socks with no holes....
I will also make myself a mental note not to pick up any roadkill on the way over.....:D
I might even leave my machete at home...... but then I need to dig around my closet for a real belt....

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I would not live there ,,there are too many hills to walk and the transport there is ordinary but there is one good section . Although I live in Zona Colonial there are plenty of great places to live in SD on both sides of Rio Ozama

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Have you seen or been to the entire Arroyo Hondo? I should know because the people that
live there say they live in Arroyo Hondo and live in a barrio. Your problem is that you
associate or think that all barrios are slums.

These Dominicans should know where they live.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
I have lived in Arroyo Hondo for almost 20 years!!!!!!........"OMG"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
When my "Morena"wife used to tell the other students at University that she lived in "Arroyo Hondo" they wrinkled their noses and said,...."Must be "La Puya" de Arroyo Hondo"!!!!!

I live in a section called "Las Colinas de Arroyo Hondo", it's right next to the ZOO, so I feel right,..."AT HOME" here!

Are you sure it's not part of the Zoo? :)

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010

Ah Crisss! After reading some of your posts about your domestic life, I'm starting to feel sorry for the animals next door.......

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I've been there and stayed there a few times. Once when a cabbie took me from the Colonial Zone, he said "ah, Arroyo Hondo, donde viven los ricitos!!!"

When I drove around I saw houses of all types-some that had land surrounding them on private lots to houses that were built connected to each other. Even these, though they seem small from the outside, are very nice.

There appeared to be plenty of security, yet there were still break-ins and burglaries from the bochinche I heard from the residents. According to them, they are usually inside jobs by staffers who know the comings and goings of the residents.

But all in all definitely a nice place to live. Very nice.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
The area of Arroyo Hondo itself is pretty nice from what I've seen. Hoewever it is surrounded by abject poverty in front of them and more middle class neighbourhoods on the other side.