Price of a Christmas Pig.....on the hoof??

May 20, 2012
Anybody know how much the live pigs are going for this year??

We want to buy one for a Dominican family in Cabarete, but need to know the market price.

Thanks!

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Last year I paid 2,200 pesos for a 120-130 lb pig live weight. This included tying him up, stuffing him in a sack, and throwing him in the back of my truck. I paid an additional 2,000 pesos to have him cleaned, scraped, y Rostado.

nl8qjb.jpg

2h2jxp1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
May 20, 2012
Thanks for the reply!
I just want to be sure I send enough money for them to buy the critter. That seems an inexpensive price at about 43 cents a lb live weight. This family does the work, but they might have to pay to get the pig to their house. Although, as I write this, I bet they would do it on their moto!!

Great pictures, too.

Last year I paid 2,200 pesos for a 120-130 lb pig live weight. This included tying him up, stuffing him in a sack, and throwing him in the back of my truck. I paid an additional 2,000 pesos to have him cleaned, scraped, y Rostado.

nl8qjb.jpg

2h2jxp1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It ain't cheap.... we didi it few yrs ago..... 2 pigs, bought and roasted

4,000 each and they weren't as big as 120lbs..... fed 50 or so with plenty left over (as usual)

May 20, 2012
Oh, well I hope the $2,200 is a current enough price then.

But if your price of $4,000 included everything, the whole process including roasting, then it's similar to jstarebel's price last year. The 120lb. is on the hoof, too.

How many years back? Seems like prices should be higher now? Just want to be sure I cover the cost....not trying to look a gift pig in the mouth or anything!

It ain't cheap.... we didi it few yrs ago..... 2 pigs, bought and roasted

4,000 each and they weren't as big as 120lbs..... fed 50 or so with plenty left over (as usual)

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Thanks for the reply!
I just want to be sure I send enough money for them to buy the critter. That seems an inexpensive price at about 43 cents a lb live weight. This family does the work, but they might have to pay to get the pig to their house. Although, as I write this, I bet they would do it on their moto!!

Great pictures, too.

Exactly. Sack up the porker, sit on the back of a moto with the pig in their lap. Transporting Christmas dinner Dominican style.

May 20, 2012
Very interesting!
And a LOT of work. No wonder it costs $2000 to get that done.
Plus, I know there is some cost for the oregano and other "stuffing".

And I learned a new Spanish word: Preparando los lechones....Preparing piglets
But these seem big to be called piglets.

I know it has nothing to do with the price but here are a couple of YouTube videos of how it is done one you get that little piggy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCTfpWo6Olo&eurl=http://sacandomelao.blogspot.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt-OxLktQeg&eurl=http://sacandomelao.blogspot.com/

May 20, 2012
In case anyone else is interested:

I have been told that the December 8, 2014 price of a pig on the hoof (live pig) in Cabarete area is DOP$90/K (US$0.95/lb.) and that the optimal size for a Christmas pig is approximately 45-50K (100-110lb.)

So, US$100 for a live pig. No wonder it's what the rich eat and the rest eat chicken!

And the price increases the closer to Christmas it is.......

I do not know the price of labor for slaughtering, preparing and roasting said pigs.

The price (last year) on the street for Dominicans buying the cooked meat was about DOP$250/lb.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I'm happy to have this thread.... looking for a New Year's Day pig

yes, prices will go up - so buy now, then you need to keep it
I saw a fellow walking one the other day..... he had the same idea, I guess

Up my hill, I'm hearing 100 peso /kg
Goat last weekend was 150.....

these pigs are not too fat,,,, getting my money's worth - my man says.....

I will report back and the 'processing / cooking charges

my price is Cabrera, so the Sos/Cab 95 pesos sounds right...... mine will be 30kg, I expect......

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
not all cheap here in the Land of Oz, Wuddy

oil change hoy.... 2250..... about double my PHL price and more than Canukia - seguro

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
90 bucks for a 120 lb pig dressed and ready to roast? Seems like a bargain to me. Last year in colombia we were visiting country cousins way up in the mountains. Cold at night. I assisted in the butchering. The barn was hot and steamy from the meat. I raised two piglets when I was a hippy in Vermont. Took the little bugger for a ride and they came back all packaged up in butcher paper. The last few weeks I fed them only apply and straight corn. Such sweet meat.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Not sure what he paid, but Mr. AE came home with a piggy on a leash:

Pig Roast 001.jpg

We fed it for a couple of days.

A couple of guys showed up to roast it:

Pig Roast 002.jpg
Pig Roast 003.jpg
Pig Roast 004.jpg
Pig Roast 006.jpg

PanfilodeVaca

Jan 12, 2014
Not sure what he paid, but Mr. AE came home with a piggy on a leash:

View attachment 1742

We fed it for a couple of days.

A couple of guys showed up to roast it:

View attachment 1743
View attachment 1744
View attachment 1745
View attachment 1746

Great pix, though what is that at the back of the fire on #3/1744? Looks like a vinyl cushion.

Makes me want to sing:

Gotta slap that hog
Roll him over twice
Baste him with with a sweeping broom
You gotta swat them flies
And chain up the dogs
Cookin up a Navidad box spring hog

(apologies to Tom Waits)