Customs fees waiver for Christmas.

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
I apologize in advance if this has already been posted or asked.
Is the usual aduanas fees waiver going on this December?
What is the rule or where can I find it?

Thanks

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Christmas tax waivers for the importation of goods considered to be presents are only available to Dominicans who are living abroad and have done so for at least six months. These shipments are supposed to be collected by the shipper at customs in person here in the DR. There is a recent thread on this subject on DR1, I'm too lazy this morning to look for it. Sorry.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
try just saying they're gifts and it usually passes (they say)

being a visitor as opposed to resident/citizen might be problematic... but try anyway

historically, its been a pretty slack oversight

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I arrived monday with 3 suitcases full of gifts. Nothing really expensive, but lots of gifts. Barely anyone was getting x rayed. I mad a comment to customs guy that in 1969 we put a man on the moon, and in 2014 dominicans still can't form and follow lines. He laughed and waved me through.

Pretty sure there is a box embargo on AA. I was able to check 3 suitcases without paying as I am exec platinum. The gate agent informed me that sicne I was upgraded I could have actually brought 4 suitcases. Luckily three were enough.

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
I usually do not have a problem but I wanted to know the specifics.
Not taking anything too expensive but have many bags with
donations.
I searched the threads but no joy.

Thanks again

Jan 9, 2004

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you are bringing in gifts or any other merchandise DO NOT volunteer this to customs. Let them find it and then talk. Most of the time you will walk right through with no inspection.

Jan 9, 2004
If you are bringing in gifts or any other merchandise DO NOT volunteer this to customs. Let them find it and then talk. Most of the time you will walk right through with no inspection.

I understand your point of not declaring verbally....but you must declare on the Customs form....lest they decide to search and find things not declared.

Then you will have other issues.

Personally, I always declare on the form.....they just take it and waive me on, but I am at least covered if you find someone who actually does their job.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I understand your point of not declaring verbally....but you must declare on the Customs form....lest they decide to search and find things not declared.

Then you will have other issues.

Personally, I always declare on the form.....they just take it and waive me on, but I am at least covered if you find someone who actually does their job.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

No one ever reads the form, and most of the time no one takes it from you. So you are safe.