suggestions for donations to orphanage

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I will be travelling around the d.r. on my next trip starting feb 10th ...I will be in the d.r for a month...while there I am thinking of calling to two orphanages ...villa bendicion in santo domingo and also jaibon boys orphanage in monte cristi
do you guys have any suggestions on what would be suitable to bring or what might be needed...I will be buying whatever in the d.r. ...I tried bringing stuff in luggage ,wasn't worth the hassle and extra fees...I tried mailing one trip and the stuff arrived in d.r. but was sent back to the states ...go figure ...a waste of $250 mailing fees
any suggestions would be appreciated
thanks

Jan 9, 2004
I will be travelling around the d.r. on my next trip starting feb 10th ...I will be in the d.r for a month...while there I am thinking of calling to two orphanages ...villa bendicion in santo domingo and also jaibon boys orphanage in monte cristi
do you guys have any suggestions on what would be suitable to bring or what might be needed...I will be buying whatever in the d.r. ...I tried bringing stuff in luggage ,wasn't worth the hassle and extra fees...I tried mailing one trip and the stuff arrived in d.r. but was sent back to the states ...go figure ...a waste of $250 mailing fees
any suggestions would be appreciated
thanks

First, kudos to you for your gestures of good will.

When I first started doing the same, I would buy large sacks of rice and beans and just deliver them myself to the orphanage. Others have bought/brought appropriate used clothes/shoes for the children.

Over the years, I began buying those ubiquitous bunkbeds you seem to see all over the DR. There always seems to be a need for fresh mattresses thereafter....and thus no shortage of what to buy.

Recently I sent a group of used computers and monitors.

As your trip is now one month away, I would definitely opt to buy in the DR whatever it is you intend to donate.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Last edited:
May 29, 2006
School hand bells are great for the adults calling the kids in. Staples, maybe?

Flash cards, chalk.. there are several other threads out there on the subject.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
thankyou for your help...any suggestions on where to buy mattresses ,sheets and pillows?....would they deliver?

Jan 9, 2004
thankyou for your help...any suggestions on where to buy mattresses ,sheets and pillows?....would they deliver?

PriceSmart was the most convenient for me to buy the mattresses.....although I imagine any of the larger stores...La Sirena, Jumbo etc., would carry them.

Not sure about the quality of sheets, pillows in those places. Everything I have read here indicates the quality of sheets in the DR is suspect.

One last suggestion....try to spend a little time with the children...have lunch...if possible. I find the interaction a sort of chicken soup for the soul.

Best of Luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

La Sirena sells all those things, and they have good mattresses. Pillows are decent too. Sheets are very expensive there and usually pretty low quality, if you can bring them with you it would be better and cheaper. They do deliver large items, not sure they'd deliver the pillows and sheets too, but they might if it's going with the mattresses - talk to the store manager.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
ok thanks...I will look at sheets here and if possible bring them...the pillows and mattresses I will leave till I get to d.r....pillows I should be able to deliver ...but would be handy if the store could deliver both ...any idea on prices ...the orphanage in monte cristi has I believe 16 kids

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
ok thanks...I will look at sheets here and if possible bring them...the pillows and mattresses I will leave till I get to d.r....pillows I should be able to deliver ...but would be handy if the store could deliver both ...any idea on prices ...the orphanage in monte cristi has I believe 16 kids

I can't remember what we paid for the mattresses we bought, a full and a twin, because we bought them together with the bunk bed frame, but I remember the twin was pretty cheap. The pillows are pretty cheap usually, and you'll have a choice of different ones, maybe $5 each, some cheaper, some a bit more.

You may want to check around at local furniture stores near Montecristi, they often have connections with Dominican mattress manufacturers at good prices. La Sirena might be more expensive, they also carry higher end brands like Sealy, Serta, etc., not necessarily better than the local stuff.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
if anyone knows the price of twin size mattresses ..please let me know....I am looking for 16
thanks in advance

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
u probably do much better pricewise at a local manufacturer...santiago has plenty