Weekend in Santiago for baseball, beer and fun! First timer in the DR and need info!

Jan 8, 2015
I arrived in the DR for the first time on 1/3/15 and enjoying my first week here a bunch. I spend a few days in Santo Domingo and moved on to Bonao and Jarabacoa. I'll need to return to Jarabacoa on my next visit.

Tomorrow I am planning to head to Santiago and spend the weekend there. On Friday night I plan to go to see the Aguilas play and check out baseball here in the DR. Anything I should expect or look for at the game? I plan to scalp or buy a ticket from the box office.

I plan to stay at Hotel Colonial as trying to keep a limited budget on hotels. I'd rather spend money on beer and food. Looking to spend a night or two in the Momument area. I'm in my early 40s, speak enough Spanish to carry on a conversation and have done a bunch of backpacking in Latin America.

I'm not into the club scene and wondering what bars or areas near the Monument you can recommend. I've been reading some comments on this forum and Ahi-Bar sounds like a good place to start.

Is there much going on in Santiago on Sunday during the day and evening? What areas would be best to hit on a Sunday? Any specific bars showing the NFL playoffs?

I am in the DR for another 2 weeks and headed to the north coast after Santiago. Any beach areas you'd recommend for a backpacker on a budget who is trying to stay away from the overly touristly beach areas. I plan to start in the Puerto Plata area and make my way to the Samana area. Anyone recommend Monte Cristi area for some secluded beaches away from the tourists? I'll check out the north coast forum, but the people on the Central forum seem to be in the know about the DR.

So many questions in this post and feel free to answer as few questions as you prefer. So glad to find a great travel forum on the DR!

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
hey man, I am currently finishing writing paid blog-guide to CHEAP Dominican Republic. The best and authentic stuff, best guide to DR ;-) Too bad that when I will finish it in one month you will be probably already outside DR...but anyway..heh
as for the Santiago - I may tell you one thing: forget about Colonial, too expensive, just look for the other hotels ON THE SAME STREET and you will save few bucks :) same standard, security, just the lower prices...
Monte Cristi: is nice, but to get to the beach (if you dont have your own transport) you will have to take motoconcho every time. the beach is around 4-5 km from the city center. oh, and the other thing: dont try to swim there early until 4 pm, too dangerous and waves are too big. after 4 pm is ideal :)
there are lot of Hotels in Monte Cristi, and there are few nearer the beach - like 2-3 km from it. the cheapest ones(around 8-10 bucks/night) are in the city center
I arrived in the DR for the first time on 1/3/15 and enjoying my first week here a bunch. I spend a few days in Santo Domingo and moved on to Bonao and Jarabacoa. I'll need to return to Jarabacoa on my next visit.

Tomorrow I am planning to head to Santiago and spend the weekend there. On Friday night I plan to go to see the Aguilas play and check out baseball here in the DR. Anything I should expect or look for at the game? I plan to scalp or buy a ticket from the box office.

I plan to stay at Hotel Colonial as trying to keep a limited budget on hotels. I'd rather spend money on beer and food. Looking to spend a night or two in the Momument area. I'm in my early 40s, speak enough Spanish to carry on a conversation and have done a bunch of backpacking in Latin America.

I'm not into the club scene and wondering what bars or areas near the Monument you can recommend. I've been reading some comments on this forum and Ahi-Bar sounds like a good place to start.

Is there much going on in Santiago on Sunday during the day and evening? What areas would be best to hit on a Sunday? Any specific bars showing the NFL playoffs?

I am in the DR for another 2 weeks and headed to the north coast after Santiago. Any beach areas you'd recommend for a backpacker on a budget who is trying to stay away from the overly touristly beach areas. I plan to start in the Puerto Plata area and make my way to the Samana area. Anyone recommend Monte Cristi area for some secluded beaches away from the tourists? I'll check out the north coast forum, but the people on the Central forum seem to be in the know about the DR.

So many questions in this post and feel free to answer as few questions as you prefer. So glad to find a great travel forum on the DR!

Jan 8, 2015
robbiee, thanks much for your reply and will check out the hotels on the same street as Hotel Colonial. Still not sure if I will make it to Monte Cristi.

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
no problem, buy my guide when it will be ready heheh ;-)
actually Monte Cristi is in my top5 when it goes to the country and its beaches...but you have to have your own transport to enjoy it fully (like in whole country actually)
robbiee, thanks much for your reply and will check out the hotels on the same street as Hotel Colonial. Still not sure if I will make it to Monte Cristi.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
chicagobackpacker, welcome to dr1, there are plenty of things to fill your time in Santiago...........
Especially around the Monument..........
What part of Chicago are you from, myself, born and raised there, now residing in Santiago 9 years......

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
chicagobackpacker, welcome to dr1, there are plenty of things to fill your time in Santiago...........
What part of Chicago are you from, myself, born and raised there, now residing in Santiago 9 years......

Sorry off topic but...from Oak Lawn

steelsavior

Jan 10, 2015

Wow Waytogo,
you've really spent some time in Santiago. I'm coming out there soon. Do you ever show new cats around? I mean i don't relaly need it, i can find lots of stuff on my own and speak pretty good spanish to get around. However, ask me if i'd rather have someone show me who knows everything, or figure it out for myself, and i'm always going to choose the guide. Please let me know. It will be me retired military and my buddy who's active military flying in from Honduras. Both Air Force guys.
Steel

steelsavior

Jan 10, 2015

Wow Waytogo,
you've really spent some time in Santiago. I'm coming out there soon. Do you ever show new cats around? I mean i don't relaly need it, i can find lots of stuff on my own and speak pretty good spanish to get around. However, ask me if i'd rather have someone show me who knows everything, or figure it out for myself, and i'm always going to choose the guide. Please let me know. It will be me retired military and my buddy who's active military flying in from Honduras. Both Air Force guys.
Steel