Engine Rebuild

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Well it was gonna happen sooner or later. The engine blew on a 2005 Mitsubishi Montero DID diesel. I am wondering if anyone knows if you can exchange for a professionally rebuilt? Kinda of hesitant to buy a used motor cuz you never know what you are going to get.

If not, anyone know a reputable shop?

I live in the middle, so everywhere is just a close.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
:disappoin:disappoin:disappoin

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
There is a very good guy (they tell me) in Nagua that rebuilds engines.
He's from Philadelphia

Another here in Abreu.... Mingo, good , fast and cheap

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
you really have more confidence in rebuilt vs factory assembled? Not difficult to assess an engines condition with a few tests and much less expensive than an overhaul. Dominican guarantee? Does not take a talented mechanic to switch an engine and labor rates are comparatively low in DR. I have seen shops in S.D. with literally hundreds of used engines for sale. Common practice here. Just importing quality overhaul parts would be expensive. Switch it out is quicker, more reliable and cheaper.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I'm sorry I can't remember where but I too, have seen engines lined up --all ready to go on a street in SD

Big auto refurb area... rebuilding seats, motors - the works

I would trust a rebuilt engine here..... I think

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My friend had a Prado (I think) and the dealer wanted to rip the engine apart for reapir/rebuild.
Both the cost and the time were excessive in her mind.

She went to the Abreu mechanic I mentioned.... in 2 days and for a fraction of the pesos, she was back on the road.
Still driving the car today,, never a problem

Some of these boys really know their stuff - like Cuba, fix it or its dead

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
difference in technical expertise to overhaul a modern diesel engine and keeping a clunker running is night and day.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
dunno... her Prado isn't a clunker...... quite a nice car... they're what ? $60,000 ? ?
and I'm fussy

but you may be right

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I can do that for you, bring it over here NC US.
Who ever do it. Need o use the plastic gauge to torque the rods and canckshaft...

JJ

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
The Mitsubishi diesel engine is an expensive one even second-hand as it's used in many commercial vehicles as well. I opted to go for a rebuild, (Greg's garage Sosua) instead of an unknown used one.

I am pleasantly surprised as it now starts and runs better than when I bought it.

There are so many fake spare parts out there that are not made to the same alloy specifications or tolerances that you must be careful when choosing a re-builder. Cheaper is often not the best solution. My rebuild (Mits2.5 TD) was around $2000 US using genuine bits so it can actually be better to buy another car sometimes.....

(Which I did, but I love my Tonka toy Pajero! so I kept it as well.)

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I can do that for you, bring it over here NC US.
Who ever do it. Need o use the plastic gauge to torque the rods and canckshaft...

JJ

I used to practise torqueing with a regular socket and ratchet and then checking with a torque wrench. I was very accurate with 25, 35, and 50 inches lbs and dead on with 120 ft lbs but off by too much to be accurate at other torques. GOOD LUCK WITH THE REBUILD.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Most people in DR will change the death motor for a gasoline engine, some will do so just to have the car coverted to LPG.

My two Cents!

JJ

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
isn't the torque wrench used everywhere? it's not just in the USA.

I am talking about hight tech mechanic work, when torquing a crankshaft or a connector rod you are not looking at tightness only; you are performing a very important task on which the life of your engine is going to depend... Using plastic gauge tell you if there will be enought clearance between the moving parts and if there won't be too much play that will produce oil pressure lost.

That's why Diesel engines are a little be complicated.

You need a Mecanico Diesel!
[video=youtube_share;APmmOIL-CcQ]http://youtu.be/APmmOIL-CcQ[/video]

JJ

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I am talking about hight tech mechanic work, when torquing a crankshaft or a connector rod you are not looking at tightness only; you are performing a very important task on which the life of your engine is going to depend... Using plastic gauge tell you if there will be enought clearance between the moving parts and if there won't be too much play that will produce oil pressure lost.

That's why Diesel engines are a little be complicated.

You need a Mecanico Diesel!
[video=youtube_share;APmmOIL-CcQ]http://youtu.be/APmmOIL-CcQ[/video]

JJ

people have been measuring clearances forever. this is nothing new. you can't build a motor without checking clearances.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
people have been measuring clearances forever. This is nothing new. You can't build a motor without checking clearances.

[highlight]and now you know what the plastic gauge is for![/highlight]

JJ