first time to PP ...10 times to PC .. Q's

bombero

Jan 20, 2014
Going solo to PP, looking at a 10-12 day stay and was thinking of trying it up North instead . Wife don't want to go , in 50's not looking for chica's... r & r ,don't mind leaving the resort . don't know much about PP ... any hints ... gracias

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
One is able to see all that PP offers in about 30 minutes which is the time it takes the cable car to go up Mt. Isabel. A 10-12 day stay will cause you to need psychotheraphy. To say there is nothing to do in PP is an overstatement. Men in their 50s, traveling without the wife, are not interested in chicas? Only good thing about PP is that its only a half hour cab ride to Sosua where even though you are not interested in chicas you are able to window shop.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
don't leave the resort. just stay by the pool, close to buffet and enjoy your holidays. if you insist on getting out of the AI take some organized trips to the jungle, paradise island, catamaran etc.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
One is able to see all that PP offers in about 30 minutes which is the time it takes the cable car to go up Mt. Isabel. A 10-12 day stay will cause you to need psychotheraphy. To say there is nothing to do in PP is an overstatement. Men in their 50s, traveling without the wife, are not interested in chicas? Only good thing about PP is that its only a half hour cab ride to Sosua where even though you are not interested in chicas you are able to window shop.

And what is there to see in Punta Cana besides the resort? I stayed in the Punta Cana area once. No need for me to ever go there again.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the fort area has been closed for months and will not reopen any time soon.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Love that old Burro.
If you golf then you may like staying in Playa Dorada; for drinking heavily try Cabarete, lots of bars and less Putas than Sosua. It you can get to El Catey airport easily then Las Terenas is a great spot for R & R.

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
There are nice AIs near POP. How many days that is bearable depends upon you. I an good for 2 days. But, the NC has much to offer if you drive; from the Hatian border to the tip of Samana peninsula. Get s car and a travel guide book and stay in cities across the coast.

And only do what dv8 suggested if you prefer a Disney land type of experience.

markryan

Jul 16, 2014
Within a 2000 peso trip of Puerto Plata there is the 27 waterfalls, which is a natural water park where one hikes thru the water and slides down the falls. Everybody I've ever taken there loved. Some people go every year. Then there is the fort down on the beach which was built in 1611 if I remember right, No not a thrilling place like Disney World, but a fine relaxing vacation.

The 27 waterfalls is awesome. Really worth it. Quite the hike up if you are not in shape. I would do it again in a heart beat.

bombero

Jan 20, 2014
so Sasua is a better place , more to see .. ? Usually work out in the am .. and walk the beach for a couple hours . Would be nice to ride a bicycle but a 2 hour walk outside the resort in the street is every other day. Any middle of the road resorts reccomended . Usually stay at 4 or 5 star resorts in PC but don't need as much for solo trip. and don't mind shopping :)

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
Sousa has nothing to see except a nice beach and restaurants.
You're better off in Pto Pta. You can do the cable car, 27 waterfalls not far, Maimon for fish lunch, walk along the malecon. You can do a day trip or spend a few hours in Sousa and Cabarete one day from Puerto Plata.
Barcelo resort in Playa Dorada is nice. Middle of the road, not really updated but decent buffet daily, nice little disco on the beach, and nice big pool.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I took a group there last Monday. There is a disveo that takes one around the construction. The old guy is still there giving burro rides too.

good to know. i have not been up thought the back of puntilla in years. what's the view like?

And only do what dv8 suggested if you prefer a Disney land type of experience.

i think someone who goes to PC is probably not an adventurous type. it's better for tourist to stay in the resort so that the bubble of DR being all so lovely is not burst with a knife point set against their neck as an autochton politely asks for some cambio.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Sousa has nothing to see except a nice beach and restaurants.
You're better off in Pto Pta. You can do the cable car, 27 waterfalls not far, Maimon for fish lunch, walk along the malecon. You can do a day trip or spend a few hours in Sousa and Cabarete one day from Puerto Plata.
Barcelo resort in Playa Dorada is nice. Middle of the road, not really updated but decent buffet daily, nice little disco on the beach, and nice big pool.

Nothing for a man to see in "Sousa"? I always see plenty, apart from the beach and restaurants!

santiagodude

Nov 25, 2012
Sounds like too much time for only Puerto Plata, I would be bored to death (especially sans chica).
I would check out Jarabacoa and mix it up a bit. You can do river rafting and hike the waterfalls. Some good food and nice views too. If I were you I would not book my entire stay in POP.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Going solo to PP, looking at a 10-12 day stay and was thinking of trying it up North instead . Wife don't want to go , in 50's not looking for chica's... r & r ,don't mind leaving the resort . don't know much about PP ... any hints ... gracias

First of all, send Derfish an email. He's a very good guide and good to hang out with.

I personally enjoy hanging out at the kiosks along the malecon enjoying the music, and cold beer on the beach. There is a guy (2actually) that will come by selling fresh oysters and lambi (conch) very cheap, and the small oysters are very tasty. There is of course Oceanworld, and I enjoy the Bravisimo show that they put on there. It's also an interesting place to check out. Another favorite thing to do when I'm bored in POP is to hop on a moto and have the guy drive around. I found a great little pool hall that way. Have fish take you up the mountain, play some golf if thats your thing, hang on the beach over in Costumbar (locals beach) on a sunday and theres always a fiesta going on.

You are limited only by your imagination as to what is available here. Just go to have fun, and be safe..

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Sounds like too much time for only Puerto Plata, I would be bored to death (especially sans chica).
I would check out Jarabacoa and mix it up a bit. You can do river rafting and hike the waterfalls. Some good food and nice views too. If I were you I would not book my entire stay in POP.

Absolutely and go to the top of the momentum in Santiago, and visit the Leon Museum ( very nice), shop on Calle Del Sol at the Mercado. Find out how you can go fishing for Bass at Maim?n.

bombero

Jan 20, 2014
I've done every excursion in PC ... except for PC Mikes , wife has no prob staying on the resort for a week to 10 days to unwind... i usually leave resort every other day for a couple hours and talk to the people in the streets. The Barcelo puerta plata looks just like the barcelo's in PC...lol... gracias para audarme

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I've done every excursion in PC ... except for PC Mikes , wife has no prob staying on the resort for a week to 10 days to unwind... i usually leave resort every other day for a couple hours and talk to the people in the streets. The Barcelo puerta plata looks just like the barcelo's in PC...lol... gracias para audarme

No two Barcelo's are equal in my opinion! The Palace Deluxe in PC is the top, a 5 star! The one in Juan Dolio is the worst, the one in PP is a touch better than Juan Dolio but poor quality food and drinks. Personally I would stay in the VIVA Wyndhan Tangerine in Cabarete as nicer beach, better food and drinks yet still only a 3ish star but better than PP Barcelo. The good part is your on a cooler kite surf beach and can walk to the best restaurants and gringo bar spots in Cabarete. Also only 15 mins from Sosua.

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
Nothing for a man to see in "Sousa"? I always see plenty, apart from the beach and restaurants!

Please forgive my auto correct. There is not much to do in SOSUA. OP stated he isn't looking to go for the chicas that apparently entertain you.