Pets

Wonda Hames

Feb 17, 2015
Hello all my name's Wonda
We recently started the process to purchase a condo in Bavaro and down the road I want to be able to bring my dog with us..4-6 month periods. Can anyone help with what I need to do to be able to bring him?

Thanx :)

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Unless its a servive dog it can be very expensive. A friend transports her dog usually once a year both ways and she spends approx 400 each way.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
use the search function here ...'rabies' and see what you get

its all laid out for and isn't that hard...huge library on this

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It costs $50 using westjet. Ask your vet at home bc it varies and also Google your country and taking pets to the DR.
I think I used something called pet passport, very easy and they gave me all the info online.

$75 r/t as I recall.... may be higher now

Nov 1 to Apr 30.... with an embargo over the Christmas period

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hello all my name's Wonda
We recently started the process to purchase a condo in Bavaro and down the road I want to be able to bring my dog with us..4-6 month periods. Can anyone help with what I need to do to be able to bring him?

Thanx :)

Hi:

Is your dog small enough to be in a soft sided carrier at your feet on the plane? Where are you flying out of? If it is North America you need to go to your vet and have him fill out an International Travel form/document showing that your dog has had it's shots, especially rabies. You than bring that form with you when you travel. The form needs to be dated, I believe 10 days prior to your flight. When you check in the airlines may ask you for a copy of the form. Make an extra photo copy in case. When you arrive in Punta Cana you will go through customs and someone from Animal Control will spot you and take you to a desk to exam your travel papers. He will fill out a DR form and you will give him around rd400 or about $10usd. He will give you a copy of their form. Keep this. You will need to show it to officials when you are leaving the country. That is it. When you leave the DR find the Animal Control office and clear your pet BEFORE you go to check in. You will need to go to a vet in the DR to get a new International form about 10 days before your flight just like you did when you came to the DR originally. Remember to bring heart worm pills and flea and tick medicine. If the dog is too big (over 20 lbs.) and needs to be in the hold than you need to find an airline with a climate controlled pet bay. I brought my dog regularly inside the plane and never had any problems. If you are bringing the dog in cabin and purchase seats with extra leg room you and your dog will be better off. Also again if bringing the dog in the cabin get a soft sided dog carrier. In the hold you will need a cage. Good luck