Milk production and lactose intolerance in the DR...

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
This may seem like a silly reason to start a thread, but I need the information regardless.

Someone stated his mother, who lives in the US but was born and raised in the DR, is lactose intolerant, and cannot drink milk. But she is Dominican, and we all know some Dominicans are complete physiological anomalies.

When she goes to the DR, she can drink regular milk and it does not affect her in the slightest.

Is Dominican milk imported, or is there a domestic market that feeds domestic demand?

Is their pasteurization process the same as anywhere else, or do they process the milk so as to remove the lactose?

Who are the major domestic milk suppliers, and do they offer lactose-free milk?

Apr 13, 2011
I am not sure what is different, but the boxes of milk that we normally get in the DR taste a lot different to me than the gallons of milk that I get in the US...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
This may seem like a silly reason to start a thread, but I need the information regardless.

Someone stated his mother, who lives in the US but was born and raised in the DR, is lactose intolerant, and cannot drink milk. But she is Dominican, and we all know some Dominicans are complete physiological anomalies.

When she goes to the DR, she can drink regular milk and it does not affect her in the slightest.

Is Dominican milk imported, or is there a domestic market that feeds domestic demand?

Is their pasteurization process the same as anywhere else, or do they process the milk so as to remove the lactose?

Who are the major domestic milk suppliers, and do they offer lactose-free milk?

Well Berzin, remember that 'regular milk' in the DR isn't like regular milk in the USA. I doubt the woman is buying the quart containers of fresh milk that some of the large supermarkets carry. The milk in DR tastes similar to watered down evaporated milk. Could be the treatment of the milk that changes it - or as Frank suggested, the diet of the cows.

Our son is very lactose intolerant, and some dairy products are much worse than others.

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
Eight million hormone shots and vaccinations may play a role in why she can't drink milk from US cows.

Wild guess, just throwing it out there...

[video=youtube;OrBn1HGPMrY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrBn1HGPMrY[/video]

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
They sell lactose free milk in the stores.Several different brands but Rica is the big one. There is lots of milk produced here both pasyerized and unpasterized. Both cheese and yogurt are produced here in Jarabacoa as well as other places. The raw whole milk here tastes great and is not wayerly at all. The boxed Rica is watery. I see many people walking back from the local lechero in the morning with half gallon and gallon containers full of unpasterized whole milk.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I'm lactose intolerant and I can't drink milk in the DR unless it's lactose-free.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i call bogus allergy on that old trick drinking dominican milk like it's nothing. our niece here has lactose intolerance and she cannot have any milk or milk products. if i as much as have a ham and cheese sammich and give her only ham from that she'll puke her guts. so no milk, cream, cheese or butter, under no circumstances.

maybe that granny is allergic to some chemicals they stuff in milk in the states.

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
"maybe that granny is allergic to some chemicals they stuff in milk in the states."

Sounds more than plausible.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Nobody really knows what it really is, except for those that package it.

there is a rumor that dairy products are made here. i reject that notion. Rica and Sosua are not butter. the cheese made here is closer to laundry soap. ok, Bon Ice Cream is good stuff.

May 29, 2006
It just might be that there is some correlation to the rates of lactose/gluten intolerance and the amount of glyphosate(RoundUp) sprayed on the crops used to feed cows and produce wheat.. Hmm..

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
The trick is to reverse engineer the ice cream and make butter and cheese from it.

We need to think outside the box on this, maybe call in some experts from Dutchland or Holland or something.

May 29, 2006
Cattle raised for meat and milk are different breeds. Anyone ever see a Holstein in the DR? That's the most common milk cow. All black cattle are usually Angus type raised for meat.

Apr 7, 2014
i think your friend has to define what is "regular milk" in the DR. because they can cartons of milk on the shelf which dont require refrigeration and cartons that require refrigeration. the shelf milk works well in rural areas and poorer communities because of the lack of electricity or constant refrigeration. The lactose in the shelf style cartons has to be removed and probably replaced with regular table sugar or an artificial sweetener. Were the lactose left in the shelved cartons it would acidify and turn the milk to cheese or some lumpy stinky dairy product. Additionally that shelf milk is reconstituted from powder, stuff like Nido or Nestle, or Carnation or Peak.

I dont think your buddy's mom is drinking refrigerated encased milk but she can from the shelved reconstituted cartons.

Last edited by a moderator:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
there is a rumor that dairy products are made here. i reject that notion. Rica and Sosua are not butter. the cheese made here is closer to laundry soap. ok, Bon Ice Cream is good stuff.

Laundry soap or some sort of experimental plastic compounds are indeed made in Sosua and labelled incorrectly as cheese.

Not a huge fan of DR ice cream, either. But then I want CHOCOLATE...

The cartons on the shelf do not have the lactose removed. It is reconstituted and I think it is UHT.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2014
Laundry soap or some sort of experimental plastic compounds are indeed made in Sosua and labelled incorrectly as cheese.

Not a huge fan of DR ice cream, either. But then I want CHOCOLATE...

The cartons on the shelf do not have the lactose removed. It is reconstituted and I think it is UHT.

natrel_sans-lactose_2l_2d_0.png

710870.jpg

leche.jpg

compo+copy.jpg

23068_l1.jpg

https://www.ulabox.com/media/23068_l1.jpg

It says Parmalait is UHT. The last one Puleva says semi-denatured clearly but not UHT(which it may be if it is a European product), and it is lactose free.
So he has to clarify what she actually is drinking.
I had a friend in Don Pedro section of Santiago who had a daughter and the child was LI. But her older son wasnt. Unfortunately for her, as is the case here, she cant say for certain where the father of the child is from, since he vanished as soon as she told him she was pregnant.