Satellite Internet on the North Coast

Jammers

Nov 7, 2007
We live too far out to get any reliable internet signal through Claro or Orange and cable internet is not available in our area. Looking for current information and contacts for reliable, good companies that provide Satellite Internet installation, etc. near Cabarete.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Contact Dolfi in Sosua at 809 224 3111. He will take care of you. I assume he is still in business, have not spoke to him in
quite awhile.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
We live too far out to get any reliable internet signal through Claro or Orange and cable internet is not available in our area. Looking for current information and contacts for reliable, good companies that provide Satellite Internet installation, etc. near Cabarete.

Contact Rick from Rocky's Restaurant Sosua.
He uses Dish Network and has US direct TV.
He's very helpful and will give you info and a good meal:).
cell 809-481 2951

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
You can get 3G Orange or Claro almost everywhere. Rancho Lobo Gris is a good example. No cell phone coverage there, surrounded by mountains but they have both - Claro and Orange internet. I've sent you a private message, check it.

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
Also, Satellite internet is not going to be your friend. High installation costs: you will need a dish over 2 meters / 7 feet in diameter, plus receiver/transmitter, we are talking about 2-3 thousand US Dollars here, monthly charges (12-18 month contract required with a USA company) from US$ 99 and up for a slow speed, limited data and high latency signal, not usable for voice calls.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Outdated, Expensive, Slow

Also, Satellite internet is not going to be your friend. High installation costs: you will need a dish over 2 meters / 7 feet in diameter, plus receiver/transmitter, we are talking about 2-3 thousand US Dollars here, monthly charges (12-18 month contract required with a USA company) from US$ 99 and up for a slow speed, limited data and high latency signal, not usable for voice calls.

We used to have internet via satellite for many years and it was not bad, very reliable indeed at about 60 USD/month.
Then Hughes.net switched off the satellite we were on. :mad:
Fortunately I was able to switch to a small local provider (Las Terrenas) which resulted in a faster, unlimited and cheaper connection. No more dish either. :)
{BTW, 1.2 m was sufficient and VoIP was OK.}

One can still get Hughes.net service on a month-to-month subscription, but I consider it expensive (109 USD/month) and speeds are relatively low.

Also check out STARBAND, LinkStar, Exede, WildBlue, etc.

I'd recommend a local solution...

donP

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I actually have a dish that was used for Satellite internet if the OP is interested.

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
Hmm, I have a dozen dishes.... for satellite TV and/or internet (6-footers).... :laugh:

donP

Since nobody needs them any more I may buy all of them from you if the price is cheap. I can pay slightly more than metallo viejo trucks pay.

The OP has 3G internet from Orange now. Signal is full. Plus he can select the tower he gets his 3G internet from.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
OK. So I'm reviving an old thread this morning. Does anybody know what is the latest and greatest for Satellite internet service?

I am moving to San Cristobal shortly, and there is no fiber optic service out there.

I have not visited the Claro office yet, but I'm guessing they will tell me it's copper lines with a max of 3 g.

I have a 2 meter dish I used to use for Satellite TV before fiber optic internet streaming came along, but have no idea if I want to try to use it or if some other service exists today.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
There are a couple of links on FB here https://www.facebook.com/search/108381805852588/places-in/187215161312096/places/intersect/

The first looks as if it is the same as I have which is a 30 foot pole on the roof with a little white box on it. My provider is in Mao and he has a tower not that far away from us so it comes from Mao to the tower to me (I think). The advantages are that it is very fast and very cheap (RD$800 a month unlimited). Most of the towns in the DR have these type of providers which are excellent if you can find them. Installation ranges from RD$5,000 including a wifi modem and repeaters are available at RD$1,200 each. They do all of the installation and in my experience if you have any issues they are quickly resolved.

Matilda

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
There are a couple of links on FB here https://www.facebook.com/search/108381805852588/places-in/187215161312096/places/intersect/

The first looks as if it is the same as I have which is a 30 foot pole on the roof with a little white box on it. My provider is in Mao and he has a tower not that far away from us so it comes from Mao to the tower to me (I think). The advantages are that it is very fast and very cheap (RD$800 a month unlimited). Most of the towns in the DR have these type of providers which are excellent if you can find them. Installation ranges from RD$5,000 including a wifi modem and repeaters are available at RD$1,200 each. They do all of the installation and in my experience if you have any issues they are quickly resolved.

Matilda

Thanks Matilda.

I went to the Claro office this afternoon and talked to a friend there, and I was told they can definitely give me 20 mbps on copper lines.

It involves multiple pieces of equipment, but it will work fine according to him. The cost will be 2700 a month plus ITBS, I imagine.

I was also told I should have fiber optic available before the end of the year.

If that's the case, I'm a happy camper!