Travel restrictions into DR with a dui related conviction? And question.

wuzizname

Mar 16, 2015
Hello everyone,

I am looking to travel to the DR next month. Regrettably, I have a dui related conviction in Canada (refusal to provide roadside sample) from September 2013 and I'm wondering if there would be any issues getting into the DR? I have a full and valid passport, and I don't plan on driving at all while there. Can anyone advise?

Also, I like to bring stuff for the locals when I visit anywhere and was wondering if I can bring stiff that people in DR need?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Zero chance of you not getting in with that. Come on down. Just bring money, the locals can use some.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
THE only "law" IN THE DR, IS THAT IF YOU ARE CAUGHT WITH AN "OPEN CONTAINER" in your car, you HAVE TO SHARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ESPECIALLY with the "Policia"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
cccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

curlando

Bronze
Jul 23, 2003
If you want you can bring old clothing. I use to give my old clothing to the kids. They would sell it for cash.

wuzizname

Mar 16, 2015
That's great news everyone and thanks!!!

I'm coming down with a group of around 80 people and we will be spreading the cash around, we're even doing a trip to help out some school kids and donate some money to a local school program so I'm super happy and stoked to be going. Looks awesome and looking forward to meeting some of the cool locals.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The teachers will appreciate your donation.
OR, you can just bring them "BOOZE" from the "Duty Free" shop at the airport!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
When you get here, come on over, there is always room for a fellow drunk at my house. Just bring your own bottle, I'm frequently out of liquor oddly enough.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
yeh oddly or seldom enough to offer anyone a snort....
load up at duty free//// ha ha ha plenty of booze here.....presidente beer is #1...

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I am looking to travel to the DR next month.

Here's the deal - you'll probably be ok this time but that may not always be the case.

Canada shares criminal conviction information with the USA. You already know that your DUI conviction makes you inadmissible to the USA. The US is installing computerized immigration systems here in the DR. These new systems will have access to the US database and thus your Canadian conviction as well. Depending on which airport you come through, you may or may not encounter one of these new systems.

Even if your record does pop up when your passport is scanned, at this point in time, I do not think a DUI would be sufficient to deny you entry as a tourist. That can change at any time. As always when requesting permission to enter a foreign country, they don't have to let you in and they don't have to give you a reason why not.

Don't give immigration any reason to look at you too closely. Don't fill your luggage with TV sets, dress conservatively, get a hair cut if you need one, remove any nose rings or eyebrow piercings, be polite and you should be ok.

Last edited:

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
Drunkenness is the national support. You will have the time of your life ...
Dont worry about the little kids, they get lots of stuff from foreigners every year.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Here's the deal - you'll probably be ok this time but that may not always be the case.

Canada shares criminal conviction information with the USA. You already know that your DUI conviction makes you inadmissible to the USA. The US is installing computerized immigration systems here in the DR. These new systems will have access to the US database and thus your Canadian conviction as well. Depending on which airport you come through, you may or may not encounter one of these new systems.

Even if your record does pop up when your passport is scanned, at this point in time, I do not think a DUI would be sufficient to deny you entry as a tourist. That can change at any time. As always when requesting permission to enter a foreign country, they don't have to let you in and they don't have to give you a reason why not.

Don't give immigration any reason to look at you too closely. Don't fill your luggage with TV sets, dress conservatively, get a hair cut if you need one, remove any nose rings or eyebrow piercings, be polite and you should be ok.

I keep wondering who scared you this much. Must be your lawyer.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hello everyone,

I am looking to travel to the DR next month. Regrettably, I have a dui related conviction in Canada (refusal to provide roadside sample) from September 2013 and I'm wondering if there would be any issues getting into the DR? I have a full and valid passport, and I don't plan on driving at all while there. Can anyone advise?

Also, I like to bring stuff for the locals when I visit anywhere and was wondering if I can bring stiff that people in DR need?

You should not have a problem getting into the DR but how about coming back into Canada? If you want to bring things bring kids clothes, sneakers, sandals, medical supplies (pain killers, antiseptics) and cash.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I keep wondering who scared you this much. Must be your lawyer.

I'm not scared at all. This has been the immigration reality in every country in the world for a long time now. The DR is just now catching up.

It does the OP absolutely no good to say come on down everything *will* be fine. It may not be. Anyone with a criminal record who travels these days needs to have a backup plan in the event that they cannot get to where they want to go. I did say in my post that in all likelihood he'll get in without a problem. However, if by the luck of the draw he encounters an immigration official that had an argument with the wife that morning, or just got chewed out by their supervisor, or didn't get the propina they feel entitled to...

Next time you arrive by plane, rather than running to be the first through immigration, hang back and watch. Every so often the guy behind the desk calls a supervisor over, hands him a passport and the supervisor disappears into the back room. What do you think they are doing in there? They are verifying the admissibility that was flagged by the computer.

The days of DR nonchalance are coming to an end. I know this is hard for some to believe and accept, but obstinate denial does no one any good, especially the people who are hoping for a complete answer to their question not just the idle speculation of reality deniers.

I'm sure the OP will have a great time here. I'm pretty sure he will have no problems with entry, but he could, and it's only fair to point that out.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
They have been letting me back in here for 29 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have NEVER heard of anything different for convictions for "minor offenses.
Just visit Boca Chica and count the "Wise Guys" sunning themselves!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

DUI conviction is treated more serious by Canadian Customs that either the USA or any Latin American country.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the good news is that once you arrive you can drive drunk. you will love it here!