Golf on the North Coast

HDR

Nov 21, 2012
I have seen different threads about golf but can we make one that is about the current situation for the golf courses on the North Coast. I start with some info I have...

Playa Dorada: Played there recently. 37 USD a round for residents, Cart 30 USD, Caddie 800 pesos. Course was not in very good shape (very slow greens) and Playa Dorada has very annoying caddies.

Costambar: Played there before but now somebody said they raised the price to 75 USD?!? Is this true? I thought the 800 with cart was ok for that course.

Playa Grande: I played there first time 11 years ago and it was paradise. By far the most beautiful course I have ever played. I pass by there regularly and played there last year (first 9 holes only) and it was in very bad shape and not much going on. Last time I went there (a couple of months ago) it looks like they are working on the first 9 holes. Will we ever be able to play there again?

Costa Azul: Is this "course" open for play? Any driving range?

Monkey Jungle driving range: Is this open?

Golfers on the North Coast. How do you enjoy the game here? Where and how? Or is the best way to enjoy golf to watch Masters on TV? :(

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
RE: Playa Grande

second nine reconstructed to facilitate the new Aman Hotel
First nine under reconstruction currently

both nines have new drainage, irrigation, grass, sand... the works ... all by Robt T Jones son's company...Reese Jones

Future yet to be determined..... no word to date

Master's:
go in to any bar.. buy a drink and change to ESPN for Thrus/Fri starts at 3pm
CBS for Sat/Sun 3pm Sat - 2pm Sun

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
I have seen different threads about golf but can we make one that is about the current situation for the golf courses on the North Coast. I start with some info I have...

Playa Dorada: Played there recently. 37 USD a round for residents, Cart 30 USD, Caddie 800 pesos. Course was not in very good shape (very slow greens) and Playa Dorada has very annoying caddies.
PD greens have always slow, and as far as the maintenance program, well no one expects anything better when you consider the management's experience in operating a golf course. There is only one caddie that actually knows what and why he is there, and his name is Papo. There maybe one or two other caddies, but over 7 yrs, I haven't met them yet

Costambar: Played there before but now somebody said they raised the price to 75 USD?!? Is this true? I thought the 800 with cart was ok for that course.

Not sure what this 9 hole GC fee is, however even in the NC I can't imagine it would be more then PDGC

Playa Grande: I played there first time 11 years ago and it was paradise. By far the most beautiful course I have ever played. I pass by there regularly and played there last year (first 9 holes only) and it was in very bad shape and not much going on. Last time I went there (a couple of months ago) it looks like they are working on the first 9 holes. Will we ever be able to play there again?

We have been told that the 18 holes will not re open until mid 2016. As far as outside play is concern, well I would think that everyone not a member there will have to wait and see.

Costa Azul: Is this "course" open for play? Any driving range?

It's been closed for many yrs, and is a great place for cows, and kids playing baseball

Monkey Jungle driving range: Is this open?

Yes there is a range on the left side heading toward MJ. It is operated by a Dominican couple, and you will always be made to feel welcome there. The range balls are pretty good, and if you want to hit off the ground verses the mats, it's fine

Golfers on the North Coast. How do you enjoy the game here? Where and how?:(

The #1 golfing experience in the DR will always be found in the PC/Barvaro area. As far the north is concern, well as you know there is only one resort course (PDGC) available, and anyone playing there just has to except that it is what it is. My second choice for the north would be to play Las Aromas - Santiago Golf Club. There you will find a really nice country side course

Or is the best way to enjoy golf to watch Masters on TV?

As far as enjoying The Masters on TV, I'm hoping for a Rory and Tiger tied for the lead with 9 holes to play on Sunday

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
There is a new 18 hole course planned for next to Star Hills - across from The Plantation. But I have no idea on the schedule. I am guessing it will be after The Plantation gets well under way. Right now there's only a 2 or 3 homes in there.

HDR

Nov 21, 2012
I agree. Punta Cana/Bavaro area is great... for golf... Love the courses, the service etc

Santiago, last time we played two golf carts broke. I don?t really like the course and prefer the drink carts over the guys with shotguns on the Santiago.

Star Hills, it would be great!

Sea Horse Ranch... the plans for a golf course there are gone?

I wished Playa Dorada would have som 10 or 20 round package. And yeah i will ask for Papo next time! :)

Mu?ecote

Aug 1, 2006
i ate at mama pasta in sosua and went to a bar across the street. not sure of the name but the bartender is ted. all the regulars kept talking about there golf adventures on the north coast including santiago and jarabacoa i think. might be a real good source of information. i thought they were really good as i heard someone talking about shooting a 70 but it turned out to be only for the front nine. good luck

HDR

Nov 21, 2012
i ate at mama pasta in sosua and went to a bar across the street. not sure of the name but the bartender is ted. all the regulars kept talking about there golf adventures on the north coast including santiago and jarabacoa i think. might be a real good source of information. i thought they were really good as i heard someone talking about shooting a 70 but it turned out to be only for the front nine. good luck

Hehe yeah, but it?s a 2 hour drive to Santiago and 3 hour to Jarabacoa. Not really North Coast.

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
Hehe yeah, but it?s a 2 hour drive to Santiago and 3 hour to Jarabacoa. Not really North Coast.

Santiago is a really good option for the north if you are playing with a group. You leave early in the morning, and you can be on the course by 8-9am. You then have lunch in the city, then head back in the afternoon. That way the wife will actually believe you that a round of golf does takes 8 hrs to play.:classic:

HDR

Nov 21, 2012
Yes there is a range on the left side heading toward MJ. It is operated by a Dominican couple, and you will always be made to feel welcome there. The range balls are pretty good, and if you want to hit off the ground verses the mats, it's fine

Monkey Jungle. Is it before or after Monkey jungle? Thank you BermudaRum for good info!

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Costa Azul is funny. The only "Golf and Beach Resort" as it says on the sign outside with no golf course and no beach!

HDR

Nov 21, 2012
There used to be a golf course in Costa Azul, nine holes.
There are still 2 playable. I have played a few times and had a blast but it is horrible. Same crappy 2 holes back and forth. No shortage of caddies running over from La Cienega. As far as the beach goes, it is just across the road. Costa Azul does have 24/7 security now, which is a plus.
Playa Grande is the course to play for avid golfers. Many say, best course on the Island.

I think your information is outdated. Playa Grande is under construction and I believe BermudaRum when he says that there amore cows in Costa Azul than golfers

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Playa Grande
1st nine is dug up... no planting yet
2nd nine is finished with new layout to allow for hotel.

Course may/may not ever be public again... no decision yet

certainly breathtaking and even better now
all the undergrowth has been cleared to allow for ocean views from virtually every hole
villas will be built at the edge of the course

it is truly an astounding complex... for any place on the planet, not just our north coast
ground breaking architecture and design/construction skills

watch for write ups in the professional magazines......remarkable