mobile hot spot wifi help in Punta cana

gburger717

May 27, 2014
Need some help figuring out about the cell service in DR. I am looking to buy a gsm mobile hot spot for my 4th trip to Punta cana. I know I have seen an orange stand at the airport. Can I ask in an unlocked 21mbps hotspot enough to use skype in DR? Also can I pay for 14 days of service at the stand? I have a phone but need to get on the internet. Any help or tips? Thanks in advance

I will also activate my phone once I am in DR but the web is more important to keep in touch with family back in the states.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Simplest solution is of course WiFi. Plenty of WiFi hotspots around but not always reliable.

Next, you can get a SIM card from Claro for your unlocked phone (I suspect Orange as well but have no experience with them) and pre-pay for both data and voice. It's rather affordable. I think all you need is your passport to get pre-pay phone service.

Buying a mobile hot spot device sounds like the most expensive route.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Need some help figuring out about the cell service in DR. I am looking to buy a gsm mobile hot spot for my 4th trip to Punta cana. I know I have seen an orange stand at the airport. Can I ask in an unlocked 21mbps hotspot enough to use skype in DR? Also can I pay for 14 days of service at the stand? I have a phone but need to get on the internet. Any help or tips? Thanks in advance

I will also activate my phone once I am in DR but the web is more important to keep in touch with family back in the states.

I have no idea if you are from the US, but if you are and happen to use T-Mobile as your wireless carrier, check to see if you qualify for the free text and data offer they have. Android phones can easily be turned in a hotspot if you qualify and have one.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I have no idea if you are from the US, but if you are and happen to use T-Mobile as your wireless carrier, check to see if you qualify for the free text and data offer they have. Android phones can easily be turned in a hotspot if you qualify and have one.

The problem with T-mobile is that they use VIVA here, for text will be fine, for data will be 2G and is slow for calling using skype.

My sugestion is bring your phone unlocked and make sure that the 4G of the phone is in the range of AWS 1700 MHz-2100 MHz (B4), and get a pre-paid 4G LTE sim card from Claro. Buy the bigest amount of Gb that they have. 1 Gb cost 650.00 pesos for 30 days.

Don open youtube that will suck all your Mb in one minute, if you will use if messages and voice notes will be fine.

Download Opera Mini, and use it when you surface in the web, with this program will help you to save Mb of use on internet.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris

The problem with T-mobile is that they use VIVA here, for text will be fine, for data will be 2G and is slow for calling using skype.

My sugestion is bring hes phone unlocked and make sure that the 4G of the phone is in the range of AWS 1700 MHz-2100 MHz (B4), and get a pre-paid 4G LTE sim from Claro. Buy the bigest amount of Gb that they have. 1 Gb cost 650.00 for 30 days.

Don open youtube that will suck all your Mb in one minute, if you will use if messages and voice notes will be fine.

Download Opera Mini, and use it when you surface in the web, with this program will help you to save Mb of use on internet.

gburger717

May 27, 2014
Simplest solution is of course WiFi. Plenty of WiFi hotspots around but not always reliable.

Next, you can get a SIM card from Claro for your unlocked phone (I suspect Orange as well but have no experience with them) and pre-pay for both data and voice. It's rather affordable. I think all you need is your passport to get pre-pay phone service.

Buying a mobile hot spot device sounds like the most expensive route.

My issue is I do not have an unlocked gsm phone. I have a cdma phone that is why I asked about bringing my mobile hotspot and using my cell phone for skype calls on wifi. Do they sell sim cards at the airport for my hotspot device?
Could I buy a cheap phone at airport also?

gburger717

May 27, 2014
Forgot to add I am staying at iberostar domicana. I can walk if a place to buy what I need is close by. One day I shall call DR home so I need to learn a few things..

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
Take a look on amazon.com, and purchase an unlocked phone that takes sim cards, specs above will give you an idea for selection. You can get last years phone pretty cheaply.
Another option is renting a wifi hotspot device from a company named gobecom. Its like $30 u.s. for the week and very popular among the tourist. Search thru tripadvisor punta cana forum, for tons of information on gobecom. The company offers delivery at punta cana airport or you resort.
A wifi hotspot device allows you to use any device that needs wifi. Then you make your calls over wifi thru an app Like majic jack ,hangouts, etc.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Forgot to add I am staying at iberostar domicana. I can walk if a place to buy what I need is close by. One day I shall call DR home so I need to learn a few things..

Wouldn't Iberostar have Wi-Fi? Usually these hotels have computers that you can use to access the web?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I'd recommend not going the gsm hotspot route if this is to be used primarily while staying at a resort. A gsm modem, will need to be registered with the cell carrier before it will work, and you may have difficulty getting a local cell provider to activate a foreign modem on their network.

You would probably be better served by purchasing a wifi hotspot/router to use instead if the resort you are staying in has wifi access in the room.

Just remember, that most wifi systems at resorts are now using MAC address filtering and limit their connections to a single device over the period of time you purchase access. Make sure your hotspot is the first device to connect to the resort wifi router or this won't work.

Most android phones can easily act as a hotspot/repeater for other devices to connect though them, but my experience is that a true hotspot/router will work much better.

For example (I use one of these all the time):

SharePort Go | D-Link

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012

Yes, you can do all this. As some mention, the mobile hotspot might be pricey, but it's a solution I use all the time. You get up to 10 devices, and as a cellular device, you'll get connectivity everywhere there's a signal. You can Skype over a 3mb connection, and video chat over a 5mb connection.

You should note that the 4g hotspot devices are hard to get, and may not yet be available with the prepaid plans. The 3g ones are now fairly cheap.