Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default New baby and mirror

Since living here I have acquired a lot of folk wisdom, such as never to open the fridge while ironing, which could prove fatal.

I recently held a month-old baby up to a mirror and brought a storm of criticism on my head. Apparently if young babies see themselves in a mirror this could delay their learning to speak by as much as a year.

Anyone else heard that one, or variants thereof?

Unsurprising really, as mirrors often have magical, and sometime sinister, properties in folklore worldwide.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

In old African-American fokelore, babies seeing themselves in a mirror will cause them to have difficulty teething or very paining teething.

3. Likes london777 liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WorldCitizenDC View Post
    In old African-American folklore, babies seeing themselves in a mirror will cause them to have difficulty teething or very paining teething.
    Actually the superstition it started in 19th century Europe.

5. Likes london777 liked this post
    On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Africada, please weigh-in.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tamborista View Post
    Actually the superstition it started in 19th century Europe.
    Don't know where it started. I just know that (and many other things) were commonly said among my mother, grandmother, and aunts, in the southern U.S.

8. Likes london777 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Silly of me. I should have googled it first. Enough material there to show that it is a worldwide superstition in various versions and is not peculiar to this island or to Africa. No one else mentions delay in speaking, but stuttering seems a common consequence, along with even more dire results.

Thanks to those who replied.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tommeyers View Post
    Africada, please weigh-in.
    Afri' is not African-American

I know there are superstitions about mirrors and babies in Africa too, but can't remember (don't really believe in these things), something about babies can't recognize their own image to avoid mirrors.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is a list of superstitions. I imagine that there are lots more than these.

I don't think refrigerators and irons is a common one, nor a very old one, since refrigerators and even iceboxes are fairly recent household gadgets.

Superstition Bash - CSI

Hre are some dominican supersticiones:
    http://http://www.barahonero.com/201...minicanas.html

*** I love DR1 ***
    Post Thanks / Like

You should never let a baby look into a mirror, however its O.K for the mother to hold them with one hand while riding on the back of a moto concho going 45 mph after Raul just consumed 8 el Presadentes

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier_Onassis View Post
    Here is a list of superstitions. I imagine that there are lots more than these.

I don't think refrigerators and irons is a common one, nor a very old one, since refrigerators and even iceboxes are fairly recent household gadgets.

Superstition Bash - CSI
    XO:

I will leave but, please remember, regular forums are for contents that pertain to DR only.

Super Moderator DR1.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast