German Man Robbed and Killed

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Puerto Plata

It is only now that I learn about the death of a German resident, Mr. Hagen F. from Puerto Plata.

Supposedly he was robbed and then seriously injured when thrown from a bridge (Javillar?) on Saturday, 2nd May.
He later died in 'Centro M?dico Bournigal'.

I have not seen anything about this in the newspapers....

R.I.P.

donP

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
Somebody should put together a Gringo Quick Reaction Force, small squads in each of the major cities, subscriber-based with a monthly fee.

Life Alert one touch panic button.

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
what is more interesting, knowing North Coast, is... that you never know if he died because of Dominicans or other gringos....
edit: oh, I see "robbed" so these were probably Doms

donP

Dec 14, 2008
The Death of a Resident

what is more interesting, knowing North Coast, is... that you never know if he died because of Dominicans or other gringos....
edit: oh, I see "robbed" so these were probably Doms

Well, the FB info is sketchy, but it certainly was not a natural death.
What is strange, however, that nobody seems to have known Mr. Hagen Fels, although he must have lived here for several years.

donP

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Don't know the guy, the bridge or reason, as if any were needed, but odd the guy was thrown off a bridge and didn't make the headlines. It sounds like something that would have doms cel cameras recording. Were the police involved in this, any suspicion on thier part?

Not directly related, I hope OP doesn't mind, but what are the death statistics in DR in relation to cause with foreigners only. It comes to mind after I was surprised to find out that in the UK, the biggest single killer of men under 40 is suicide, above car crash, cancer, heart.... all natural or otherwise causes (now I'm aware that is of no interest here, but wanted to mention why I had thought of such a thing).
I have no idea how many expats live in DR, so I wouldn't know where to start. Anyone any idea?
probably not the place right?

Last edited:

donP

Dec 14, 2008
High Up

....but odd the guy was thrown off a bridge and didn't make the headlines.

The original text:
"Again ... a German from Puerto Plata, has been robbed at night on Saturday and seriously injured, they have pushed him to the Javillar from the bridge, Hagen is in intensive care in the Bournigal he is seriously injured..."

So, pushed, thrown, what led to it... we do not know.
But it did happen and was not reported in the news.

I hope OP doesn't mind, but what are the death statistics in DR in relation to cause.

I can only tell you, that violent deaths are not rare here {at about 22 - 28 (depending on the source) per 100,000 inhabitants}.
A recent study puts the number as high as 34.
RD figura entre pa?ses con m?s homicidios de la regi?n | AlMomento.net

Such findings put the DR high up in the world statistics.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate#cite_note-UNODC2013XLS-7

donP

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Not directly related, I hope OP doesn't mind, but what are the death statistics in DR in relation to cause with foreigners only. It comes to mind after I was surprised to find out that in the UK, the biggest single killer of men under 40 is suicide, above car crash, cancer, heart.... all natural or otherwise causes (now I'm aware that is of no interest here, but wanted to mention why I had thought of such a thing).
I have no idea how many expats live in DR, so I wouldn't know where to start. Anyone any idea?
probably not the place right?

in regards to dominicans: ?De qu? mueren los dominicanos? - listindiario.com
the article is 5 years old but not much has changed in recent years.

in terms of death of foreigners, haitians aside, i would risk saying natural causes are number one: cancer, heart, diabetes. most violent deaths are reported and they vary from vehicular accidents and drownings to suicide and murder but they are likely not a significant percentage.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
These news items are bad for tourism. This happens all the time!

Agreed, and they better get a handle on it soon. Can you imagine how quickly Puerto Plata will come off the cruise ship destination list after one or two people from one of the ships gets killed?
All the grand plans could go for naught.
Overall I like Danilo but when it comes to violent crime he needs to be a bit more like Trujillo.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Still Enough Residents

...Can you imagine how quickly Puerto Plata will come off the cruise ship destination list after one or two people from one of the ships gets killed?
All the grand plans could go for naught.

Don't worry.
They'll only start killing tourists after they run out of residents.... :rolleyes:

donP