Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Santiago

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Santiago

I'm not flaky, I promise We are just contemplating different scenarios, that's all.

What do you think about Santiago, to go for three months. On line it says that the nearest beach is about 23 miles away, and that the road (highway?) is pretty good. Looking at rental apartments it seems they are cheaper than in SD, found an old post here that mentioned some good neighborhoods.

Who lives, or has visited Santiago that can give me some info on it? Good neighborhood and stuff.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Depends on what you are coming to the country for. I lived in the La Trinitaria area for about 6mos, near the Monument. Very nice, more expensive area, near Caribe tours/Metro bus station. For only 3 month stay you would want furnished. Expect to pay a real estate agent a 1 mo rental fee and the drive to a decent beach is at least 1 hour.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you set on living in a large city? If not, the Punta Cana/Bavaro area might work. Rent is within your budget, and other than a weekly trip to a large grocery store, everything in El Cortecito or Los Corales is within walking distance. For 30 pesos the guagua will take you to the mall, and I think the express bus to Santo Domingo is about $10 if you want to go to the city. I know several teachers from the US in the area that would be able to help with home schooling.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

We are spending the winter there, so January through March-April. We are still looking into SD, but Santiago also seems good.

So we are looking for the same thing there like in SD, a safe neighborhood for kids (we have four boys) close to shops, stores, parks, etc. An apartment (or house) of at least two bed., A/C, generator (do you loose electricity there like in SD?) in a nice and safe place, our budget for a place is $1 000-1 200, do you think it's reasonable that amount?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

The thing is that we want to live with locals, so the kids can mingle with kids who don't speak English so they are forced to speak Spanish, my oldest was fluent but i harder and harder to get him to speak now, and last time I heard him it was really bad.

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alas View Post
    The thing is that we want to live with locals, so the kids can mingle with kids who don't speak English so they are forced to speak Spanish, my oldest was fluent but i harder and harder to get him to speak now, and last time I heard him it was really bad.
    Yeah, this will end well.

7. Likes Alas, jd426, Criss Colon, ROLLOUT liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marcion View Post
    Yeah, this will end well.

Lol, We are not Americans, I'm born and raised Cuban, so actually I'm very close to Dominicans.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I can understand that. My 10 year old is not as fluent as I would like either. But when we are there, he picks it back up rapidly, as he is forced to speak Spanish. If you were to consider Bavaro, it would be on the low end of your budget, with 24/7 power, and some places even include cable and wifi.

10. Likes Criss Colon liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

People who live in Santiago seem to love it, the highway to the beach is my least fav highway I have traveled I think it is a death trap but doable to drive as I do it now and again. Living near a beach is over rated anyways.
    Santiago is cheaper than a lot of other areas in the DR and has a lot of amenities that I miss dearly living on the NC!!

Don't know about safe neighbourhoods but I am sure it is better than SD for most people.

I wanted to live with the locals as well and I am really glad we did that. I have learned a lot and gringos can be annoying :-).

Good luck, hopefully more people with Santiago experience chime in!

Your budget seems good for rent in Santiago.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I lived there, your budget is totally doable.
    anyway, you need something for 6 persons, right ? if you dont need AC THAT MUCH, i think that you should find something for 500-600 in center of the city easily.
    generally speaking Santiago is safer than Santo Domingo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alas View Post
    We are spending the winter there, so January through March-April. We are still looking into SD, but Santiago also seems good.

So we are looking for the same thing there like in SD, a safe neighborhood for kids (we have four boys) close to shops, stores, parks, etc. An apartment (or house) of at least two bed., A/C, generator (do you loose electricity there like in SD?) in a nice and safe place, our budget for a place is $1 000-1 200, do you think it's reasonable that amount?

13. Dislikes Criss Colon disliked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast