Summary of Residency Requirements

markryan

Jul 16, 2014
All,

There seemed to be a bit of confusion as to what the requirements for residency (general and "fast track") were, so I'm posting this link to Lic. Guzman's article on the subject.

Dominican Immigration Law - Guzm?n Ariza

Lol when you click the section for advantages of residency there is not much there. For snowbirds there is really nothing there. The only one that caught my eye was the inheritance and estate taxes. Doubt I would ever want to own property in DR anyway. Rent is cheap and plentiful. Just my opinion.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
All,

There seemed to be a bit of confusion as to what the requirements for residency (general and "fast track") were, so I'm posting this link to Lic. Guzman's article on the subject.

Dominican Immigration Law - Guzm?n Ariza

"Bit of confusion" lol. Yes. At least for me : ) What is not listed as qualifying you for residency is owning property valued at $2000 = $5000 USD. SherryLewis posts in the thread titled "New Member with Lots of Questions" that the embassy of the DR in Toronto is telling her she can qualify for residency if she buys property here - she is looking at making a minimal investment to start, so is looking at cheap property. (This is in no way criticism or anything personal about SherryLewis, she is just repeating what the embassy is telling her.)

It would be best if Guzman Ariza can clear this up quickly - the thing about buying cheap real estate to qualify for residency. (LicelotteM is a lawyer with that firm who covers Legal for DR1).

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
"Bit of confusion" lol. Yes. At least for me : ) What is not listed as qualifying you for residency is owning property valued at $2000 = $5000 USD. SherryLewis posts in the thread titled "New Member with Lots of Questions" that the embassy of the DR in Toronto is telling her she can qualify for residency if she buys property here - she is looking at making a minimal investment to start, so is looking at cheap property. (This is in no way criticism or anything personal about SherryLewis, she is just repeating what the embassy is telling her.)

It would be best if Guzman Ariza can clear this up quickly - the thing about buying cheap real estate to qualify for residency. (LicelotteM is a lawyer with that firm who covers Legal for DR1).

according to the Guzman article the property investment must be US $200,000 not $2,000.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I think that article might be a bit out of date, actually. In reference to tourist cards, the article says that they are good for 90 days. It has been a long time since the tourist card was valid for three months!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
As the rules exist today, one either needs to have a quantifiable and perpetual foreign revenue stream or one needs to plunk down a substantial amount of duckets here in the DR. One can't accomplish anything in the DR for $5000 US towards advancing residency other than paying for a lawyer. The marriage thing notwithstanding.

JLA1125

Aug 14, 2013
I think that article might be a bit out of date, actually. In reference to tourist cards, the article says that they are good for 90 days. It has been a long time since the tourist card was valid for three months!

Agreed. I wish they would put the date that the article was posted so everyone reading it has a good idea of how out-of-date it may be.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
It's been my experience that even if/though you qualify either as a pensioner or investor, you still have to go through the process of temporary residency - they want our money. Then you get permanent, which of course, isn't really permanent either!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Agreed. I wish they would put the date that the article was posted so everyone reading it has a good idea of how out-of-date it may be.

Since it is a substantial business stream for them, one would think they would actually keep such information current. I know, that is too much to expect.

LicelotteM

Sep 8, 2014
When applying for a residency permit applicants must be aware that, although related, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Immigration Department are 2 different institutions with different policies when it comes to granting visas and residency permits.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs current policy is that residency visas will only be granted to applicants who: a) have close relatives who are legal residents or Dominican citizens; b) Qualify under one of the investment programs as Investors (US$200,000.00), Rentistas (US$2,000.00/month); Retirees (US$1,500.0). Exceptionally, the Ministry might grant visas to applicants who can proof that they have invested in the country through a business (setting up a corporation) or a real estate property (no matter how small or how cheap). These last two options are not a 100% certain and will likely depend on the motivation letter and whoever works on your application.

Once the applicant obtains a visa, he/she must submit the application to the Immigration Department. And while it is very unlikely that the Immigration Department will reject an application for temporary residency (unless there is a problem with medical exams or background verification); it is a very different story if the applicant wishes to go for the investment route.

The Consulate will probably grant a visa to any applicant who can prove that he/she is retired, or has an investment; however, the Immigration Department will require that the pension documents are legalized with the Apostille (it?s proven difficult for applicants receiving benefits from social security in the US), and that the rentistas show proof of having received the rent for the last 5 years.

As for the US$20,000.00 investment, the law indicates that the investment may be a direct investment in a real estate property or a corporation; however, to the date, the Investment Center of the government (CEI-RD) has refused to certify any direct investment on real estate and the Immigration Department would not accept any application without the CEI-RD?s certificate.

The information on our webpage and any article you may find online are only meant to be general guidelines and I do not recommend anyone to start investing time and money on a venture without having at least a proper consultation with an attorney specialized in the field.

On a final note, the Director of the Investment Department was deposed yesterday, thus the criteria and policies may change in the near future.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
What LicelotteM writes above is why one is probably well advised to get a lawyer experienced in DR immigration law if it is the investment path to residency they want to take. Only a lawyer with experience with how the law is currently applied knows:

"Exceptionally, the Ministry might grant visas to applicants who can proof that they have invested in the country through a business (setting up a corporation) or a real estate property (no matter how small or how cheap). These last two options are not a 100% certain and will likely depend on the motivation letter and whoever works on your application."

AND,

"...the law indicates that the investment may be a direct investment in a real estate property or a corporation; however, to the date, the Investment Center of the government (CEI-RD) has refused to certify any direct investment on real estate and the Immigration Department would not accept any application without the CEI-RD?s certificate."

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
And then we have this:

"On a final note, the Director of the Investment Department was deposed yesterday, thus the criteria and policies may change in the near future."

Maybe the new director will open the door to real estate investments as an easy path to residency. Just a random though, I know nothing...

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun

the allowed length to stay on a tourist card can vary depending from which country you come to visit/passport issuing country.
according to the website of the dominican republic's embassy in germany the Tourist Card is only valid for 30 days, and the passport has to be valid for at least 6 more months starting from the travel date.

Mike

Mike

jkc

Jun 24, 2013
Lol when you click the section for advantages of residency there is not much there. For snowbirds there is really nothing there. The only one that caught my eye was the inheritance and estate taxes. Doubt I would ever want to own property in DR anyway. Rent is cheap and plentiful. Just my opinion.

Good point! Waht the purpose of becoming a DOMINICAN CITIZEN? Just curious! Sun, chicas, tax advantages, are there any?
I really would like to know from the EXPERTS here!

jkc

Jun 24, 2013
Good point! What is the purpose of becoming a DOMINICAN RESIDENT in that case?
I really would like to know from the EXPERTS here, why becoming a DOMINICAN RESIDENT if that is the case? lol
That is why a bunch of these GRINGOS go to those islands like they have have never seen SUN in their lives, never seen women in their lives. They are having euphoria and Most of them end up leading a miserable life! I know the island life can be very boring!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Good point! Waht the purpose of becoming a DOMINICAN CITIZEN? Just curious! Sun, chicas, tax advantages, are there any?
I really would like to know from the EXPERTS here!

Google would be your best friend in this case. There are a number of advantages of being a Dominican citizen , depending on your individual situation. I own property, both residential and rental. My Dominican wife owns considerably more. Inheritance, legal issues, taxation issues, no need to constantly renew residency, and improved social relations with Dominicans, and a bunch little things that can become big issues if you aren't a citizen. Adoption as well.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Good point! What is the purpose of becoming a DOMINICAN RESIDENT in that case?
I really would like to know ... why becoming a DOMINICAN RESIDENT if that is the case?

For me, I don't have to worry about June 15th, or any change in requirements or cost increases to the process that may occur in the future. I do not have to worry about being asked to leave unexpectedly. I do not have to worry about having future access to full banking services. My insurances companies can't use my status as a reason for denying a claim. I don't have to worry about overstaying, any fines or any potential problems when returning to the DR. A cedula fits much better in a wallet than does a passport.

Dear Sr. Gringo,

We, <insert insurance broker here>, are so sorry to hear that your house was broken into earlier this week. Unfortunately, due to your irregular status in this country your coverage provider has determined that it is not obligated to cover your loses at this time. In addition, after inquiring on your behalf to your health insurance provider under the policy that we sold to you, the cost of treatment for the injuries you received during that break in as a result of the gunshot by the landrones will not be covered by the provider for the above stated reason.

Further, we share your distress when you informed us that your vehicle was taken by the ladrones to cart away their bootie. Your vehicle was subsequently found parked in the bottom of a swimming pool in Cabrera. Your auto insurance company declines to cover the damages to the fence that was destroyed, the grass on the manicured lawn that was ruined and the all costs associated with removing the vehicle from the pool, and cleaning up the mess, for the above stated reason.

We thank you for your business and remain available to offer you a wide range of insurances products that may meet your needs in the future. Feel free to contact us for a quote at your convenience.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
For me, I don't have to worry about June 15th, or any change in requirements or cost increases to the process that may occur in the future. I do not have to worry about being asked to leave unexpectedly. I do not have to worry about having future access to full banking services. My insurances companies can't use my status as a reason for denying a claim. I don't have to worry about overstaying, any fines or any potential problems when returning to the DR. A cedula fits much better in a wallet than does a passport.

Dear Sr. Gringo,

We, <insert insurance broker here>, are so sorry to hear that your house was broken into earlier this week. Unfortunately, due to your irregular status in this country your coverage provider has determined that it is not obligated to cover your loses at this time. In addition, after inquiring on your behalf to your health insurance provider under the policy that we sold to you, the cost of treatment for the injuries you received during that break in as a result of the gunshot by the landrones will not be covered by the provider for the above stated reason.

Further, we share your distress when you informed us that your vehicle was taken by the ladrones to cart away their bootie. Your vehicle was subsequently found parked in the bottom of a swimming pool in Cabrera. Your auto insurance company declines to cover the damages to the fence that was destroyed, the grass on the manicured lawn that was ruined and the all costs associated with removing the vehicle from the pool, and cleaning up the mess, for the above stated reason.

We thank you for your business and remain available to offer you a wide range of insurances products that may meet your needs in the future. Feel free to contact us for a quote at your convenience.

Yep. that covers some of it.