What a change!

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
It was some 8 years since I last visited Bavaro and that was a long drive from just north of the capital at the time, winding through La Romana and Higuey before coming across the 'wild west' outskirts of the Punta Cana with branch road off to Bavaro.

I recall driving through various back roads to our end hotel destination.

The drive now from the capital is all dual carriageway with the only 100km/hr speed limit in the country. Takes just over 2 1/2 hours from central SDO. Lovely easy drive on near empty roads and 250rd toll each way. But do those speed cameras work?

I was really surprised how this road and the new Miches road that takes one to Bavaro has changed the whole image of the place into a modern resort town so similar to many other holiday destinations.

Whilst I am no fan of the AI holiday model, it clearly works here and no wonder 80% of tourist arrivals in DR go here. Yep the North Coast and South coast resorts are past their sell by date. Samana still has its charm and will never be a AI destination but rather the small intimate hotels and villas.

I doubt if I will visit again soon but if you live in DR and have not been to the East Coast recently suggest you take a look and see that significant additional tourism growth to meet the projected targets is very realistic.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
All those changes you note, have occurred since 2010. Bavaro is turning into quite a metropolitan area with Punta Cana now being a suburb! New business open weekly and more and more European and North Americans are establishing vacation and retirment homes here. It's a refreshing change from the rest of the country, especially the Capital, with all it's traffic and congestion and poverty.

Not my DR but it would surprise me if the NC continues to attract many expats soon especially from NA

The constant flow of taxis, minibuses and coaches shuttling tourists to and from Punta Cana airport...all new ....was an eye opener

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i am kinda looking forward to trying this. i may be going all the way to PUJ to pick my parents who hopefully will be able to come over and visit me sometime later this year. their first trip by a plane ever and first ever tropical land visit.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Rumour has it, that there is a decent deep sea fishing enterprise out of PC worth considering too!!!!

Just to the left of Capt. Cook facing the Ocean they offer deep sea fishing. I went with them and we went way out looking
for Marlin or anything else. Did not catch a Marlin, but caught over half dozen nice size fish. Forgot the name, but they
were very good eating fish and gave a nice fight.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
All those changes you note, have occurred since 2010. Bavaro is turning into quite a metropolitan area with Punta Cana now being a suburb! New business open weekly and more and more European and North Americans are establishing vacation and retirment homes here. It's a refreshing change from the rest of the country, especially the Capital, with all it's traffic and congestion and poverty.

I was quietly amazed.

My recollection of back in 2008 was that the only community out side the AI's was El Cortesito and a small mall with Scotiabank a kilometer away (excepting the 'wild west' workers enclaves on the Higuey road) . Saw that same mall this past week on the second exit off the Miches highway and everything around it has changed and much of it new.

A modern DR!!

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
i am kinda looking forward to trying this. i may be going all the way to PUJ to pick my parents who hopefully will be able to come over and visit me sometime later this year. their first trip by a plane ever and first ever tropical land visit.

If they bring some Pierogi, I'll buy some....