Need a document taken care of

Dec 21, 2008
I need to have my Canadian marriage certificate apostillada, legalizada and translated into Spanish. Any suggestions who might be able to do this for a reasonable fee as I don't want to sell one of my kidneys.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I need to have my Canadian marriage certificate apostillada, legalizada and translated into Spanish. Any suggestions who might be able to do this for a reasonable fee as I don't want to sell one of my kidneys.

good luck with that. just DON?T pay up front. your money will be waving at you from a respectable distance.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Send a PM to Matilda, she knows a great certified translator named Olga Vinas who can do it for you at a reasonable cost.

May 31, 2015
not very difficult legalizations is now in the malecon centre ground floor that will take a few hours but you just get a ticket join the the quque
and ahnd in your documents once handed you will get them back in about 20 minutes
need to get a impusto from banco reservas 600 pesos ground floor second exit has a banco reservas
than you need to get the apostille impuesto 620 made out to chanceleria not 600!! takes an hour to get papers back
translation office os opposite i paid 1000 or 1200 cannot remember but its overnight
not worth paying anybody for it
metro station lincoln
hope that helps

Dec 21, 2008
So, I am in Sosua.....I have absolutely no idea where you are talking about going...if it is Santo Domingo....nope, not going there, there must be someone in Sosua or Cabarete that will do this for a reasonable price.

not very difficult legalizations is now in the malecon centre ground floor that will take a few hours but you just get a ticket join the the quque
and ahnd in your documents once handed you will get them back in about 20 minutes
need to get a impusto from banco reservas 600 pesos ground floor second exit has a banco reservas
than you need to get the apostille impuesto 620 made out to chanceleria not 600!! takes an hour to get papers back
translation office os opposite i paid 1000 or 1200 cannot remember but its overnight
not worth paying anybody for it
metro station lincoln
hope that helps

May 31, 2015
sorry i live in santo domingo and i do not know if you can do it sosua i doubt very much the chanceleria has an office in sosua
legalizations perhaps centro attention de ciudano

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
And where are these individuals located AlterEgo?

She is in Santo Domingo, but I believe she does the work via e-mail. I think she will also deposit papers for you.

Remember, you need to use a translator who is certified by the DR to do so, for anything legal.

DRdreaming

Jul 29, 2014

I could be wrong, but I believe the document must be apostilled in the country of origin. In this case, Canada. The translation and legalization can be done in DR afterwards. Maybe the Embassy can provide the apostile?

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013

This might be slightly off-topic, just started thinking of this, as there are quite a few threads discussing apostille-related issues etc.:

Being European I have no idea what is possible for US/CA citizens, but as I get a birth certificate straight from the equivalent of "junta central" from back home translated into Spanish (it is in fact one single document written in English, French and Spanish, all official and legalized) AND Apostilled. I have never had to translate or get any apostille separately.

My point is only to see what ever might be possible in your home country (if you still are there, and I think the OP is not...), and do what you can in there, while in there... Might be that I?m completely wrong here, and in Canada for example they only provide documents in English and French (the official languages).

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
To my knowledge documents in Canada are only available in english/french and from the province of birth. Canada isn't a signatory of the apostille convention either.

MpJuly

Apr 30, 2009
100% true, the DR only apostille document issued in DR - translatation here by a translator registered

I could be wrong, but I believe the document must be apostilled in the country of origin. In this case, Canada. The translation and legalization can be done in DR afterwards. Maybe the Embassy can provide the apostile?

MpJuly

Apr 30, 2009
in this case he should contact the canadian embassy to know the procedure

To my knowledge documents in Canada are only available in english/french and from the province of birth. Canada isn't a signatory of the apostille convention either.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013

Thanks, that?s a good point. I did not take into account that Canada might not be part of the convention...

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
You do not need an apostille for a Canadian document as they are not signatories to the Hague convention. The document however does have to be legalized first by the Cancilleria in the capital. The cost is US$40. Then it needs to be picked up from there and translated by a legal translator. The standard charge is RD$ 800 a page. Then it needs to be taken to the procuraduria and the translation has to be legalised which is RD$300.

I suggest, as Alterego said that you contact Olga Vinas at vinasolga@hotmail.com. Mention my real name as she will have no idea who Matilda is lol. You can scan the copy to her so she can get the translation done first, then put original on Caribe tours and she will pick it up, take it to be apostilled, then take it to the procuraduria to have her translation legalised and put it back on the bus for you. You will have to pay her for her time to do the running around for you but she is not expensive.

Matilda

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Another excellent piece of information comes forward on DR1.

Matilda, you are a trove of this information for RD problems.

I hope I never need tit !!! ???:paranoid:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My experience has been you will have to have it translated and legalized at the Dominican consulate or Embassy in Canada AT A TOTAL COST OF $150 US. I look forward to your experience at trying to get it legalized here in the DR- I hope Matilda is correct.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
You'll have to get it legalized by foreign affairs in Canada first (they'll legalize the signature of the clerk that signed the certificate). Then at the consulate of the DR in Canada (they legalize the signature of foreign affairs in Canada. Then by Cancilleria. Cancilleria doesn't legalize foreign signatures they'll legalize the signature of the consul of DR in your country. Then you have it translated by an authorized translator and the certification of that has to be legalized at Procuraderia.

Procuraderia was a piece of cake half a year ago. Now it's a mess. Spent the whole morning last week for a certification of good conduct which half a year ago took half and hour. I asked if it was like that everyday: yes, at least as long as the reorganization last.....

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
You do not need an apostille for a Canadian document as they are not signatories to the Hague convention. The document however does have to be legalized first by the Cancilleria in the capital. The cost is US$40. Then it needs to be picked up from there and translated by a legal translator. The standard charge is RD$ 800 a page. Then it needs to be taken to the procuraduria and the translation has to be legalised which is RD$300.

I suggest, as Alterego said that you contact Olga Vinas at vinasolga@hotmail.com. Mention my real name as she will have no idea who Matilda is lol. You can scan the copy to her so she can get the translation done first, then put original on Caribe tours and she will pick it up, take it to be apostilled, then take it to the procuraduria to have her translation legalised and put it back on the bus for you. You will have to pay her for her time to do the running around for you but she is not expensive.

Matilda

The cost of certification at Procuraderia now is rd$500 instead of rd$300.