Concerning a domestic employee

Status
Not open for further replies.

white light

Sep 25, 2006
I have a domestic employee who has been my full time helper for three years. She has become sick and is going to be out of work for at least two to four weeks. I need to know if I am required to pay her when she’s out sick. I have to hire another person to help because I am an invalid and have to have constant care. Cannot afford to pay 2 people. Would appreciate any help. Thank you, White light

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Until now you don't HAVE to (but maybe should), however it appears it's going to change.

What about giving her the 2 weeks of paid vacations she has a right to?

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
If you have a keeper then don't mess with it. We have constant churn in our house due to sub par honesty and poor work ethics. The 125 that you pay in the next 2-4 weeks will go a long way to long term good will.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
If you plan to have your helper back when her health improves, you should probably do all you can to help her out during this illness. It's not like the State is going to be providing her any assistance. After 3 years of full time employment, if you won't be rehiring her, then I suspect her liquidation pay will be a big help getting her through the next few weeks.

Either way you are going to end up paying so why make it unnecessarily difficult on yourself and run the risk of a lawyer getting involved. When you hire full time staff here just like at home, you accept and agree to a minimum set of obligations and it's up to you to be able to afford those obligations should they come into play.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
White light,

If this is practical for you here's what I would do.

Keep her on during her illness and ask her to provide a temporary replacement herself that she pays out of her own pocket. This way she can be sure her job is there when she gets back. She will probably send a relative to help you out.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
That would be the right thing to do to give her at least half of her salary while she is sick non ? You can't be THAT poor ??? And you secure yourself with a woman who would be gratefut when she comes back. (I hope she would be)

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
its a simple situation of pay a little now or substantially more later when she decides you need a lesson. This aint Kansas.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Affordable Personal Care

I have a domestic employee who has been my full time helper for three years.

That alone is reason enough to pay her.
If you can't afford that (as you unbelievingly said), you should save up for a ticket home.

donP

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I want to thank those of you that gave Intelligent Respectful answers.

You can pay her her liquidation - she's entitled by law to that.

I would go the 'extra mile ' here... to keep my future secure.

The law is VERY pro worker... you'll lose most arguments, even if you're right..... 100,000 for me.

She'll supply a worker in her place for you to keep going forward.... and you'll be happier in the long run

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
intelligent respectful answers translantes into what you want to hear you cheap sob. looking to take advantage. I hope she screws you to the wall like you deserve. We are not he here to help you fuuuuuuuuck Dominicans. If I knew her I would drive her myself to employment board just to make certain she gets paid in full. Three years in your employ. Go figure her liquidation rights. What kind of a person are you? Hows that for intelligent respectful answers?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
intelligent respectful answers translantes into what you want to hear you cheap sob. looking to take advantage. I hope she screws you to the wall like you deserve. We are not he here to help you fuuuuuuuuck Dominicans. If I knew her I would drive her myself to employment board just to make certain she gets paid in full. Three years in your employ. Go figure her liquidation rights. What kind of a person are you? Hows that for intelligent respectful answers?

hey, zoom, tell us how you really feel.

actually, i am in the boat with you on this.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I 'liquidate' my people every year.,

They want the money.... I want to avoid the liability in the future

Seems smart to me.....

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Sorry. I kinda lost it. Works for some old sob as an arse wiper for three years and she gets sick so he comes here to try and find a way to screw her out of sick pay. Makes me want to vomit. Does he sound like a republican or what. Ok. Now I feel better. Give us her phone number and we will really help you out, my fren.

Status
Not open for further replies.