A Look at the Future of Air Travel

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Wonderful. Some of these airlines are packing them in sooo tight, it is ridiculous. I just read the other day, that the airlines want to decrease the size of your carryon bag.

Biggest thing I have noticed is the classes. I've been on flights with four different 'cabins'. Economy, economy plus, business, and first class. And of course after your 8 hour flight you have to walk past all the nice, bigger seats, that appear to have been empty, when you disembark.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Chill WW. You're on a rest & relaxation tour. It's all a matter of perspective. Calculate the per hour cost of the one way trip from the time you arrive at the origin airport until you depart the destination airport. This usually works out much less than the hourly chica rate at home so might be considered value for your money. In the good old day one could use the the time actually spent in a seat but now that usually doesn't factor out quite so favorably.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
R & R, my derriere..... my friend

I'm exhausted..... chores, chores, chores

Canada has suffered this oligopoly complex for years.... not so cheap here.

MIA - POP is a fine example of the problem.

I have given up searching too long for 'deals'.... I just fly less often
Easy way to save.... no fly.

and when I do, I 'up' the seating arrangement...
Thumb my nose at the system

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
carry ons are out of control. The overheads fill up then people like me have to check their carry ons then wait to go pick them up off the conveyers. I try not to check bags just to avoind the hassle of the conveyor and the chance of losing my luggage. Women with lots of kids seem to be one of the worst offenders with purses, diaper bags, shopping bags etc. Seat room is shrinking every time I board it seems. Im annoyed that there seems to be no effort to reduce fares. The billions saved during the drops in fuel prices never saved the passengers a dime. Perhaps after the elections President Clinton will take a look see at whats going on for us.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
the article states that fuel costs are down and overhead too (3% down) - yet no price drop.

the airlines have mastered the load factor..... rarely an empty seat beside you any more

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I am always lucky then, on long hauls......
Last 2 trips from europe to the US, whole middle row once, and the other time 2 of us for the whole middle row on A380..... and she was gorgeous:nervous:
I had to complain on one of those flights. I was alloted a seat next to an XXXL lady, she was pouring over on to my seat....... No, no, no, 7 hours like that, no way.
So the way I see it, its not the seats getting smaller, but rather the passengers getting bigger and bigger and bigger.

I vote for weight of passenger+weight of luggage = allowance.
Why should I have to pay for all the fatties ??:confused:

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I am always lucky then, on long hauls......
Last 2 trips from europe to the US, whole middle row once, and the other time 2 of us for the whole middle row on A380..... and she was gorgeous:nervous:
I had to complain on one of those flights. I was alloted a seat next to an XXXL lady, she was pouring over on to my seat....... No, no, no, 7 hours like that, no way.
So the way I see it, its not the seats getting smaller, but rather the passengers getting bigger and bigger and bigger.

I vote for weight of passenger+weight of luggage = allowance.
Why should I have to pay for all the fatties ??:confused:

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Interesting… weight of passenger+weight of luggage = allowance.

Pay per total weight.

Overweight people would protest discrimination… but seems fair. Maybe would even help some to go on a diet.

Moenia will be performing in Santo Domingo soon… they have this video on youtube that would encourage people to lose the weight….

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCF98qWl1_4

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Interesting? weight of passenger+weight of luggage = allowance.

Pay per total weight.

Overweight people would protest discrimination? but seems fair. Maybe would even help some to go on a diet.

Moenia will be performing in Santo Domingo soon? they have this video on youtube that would encourage people to lose the weight?.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCF98qWl1_4

EddieC

May 8, 2003
Chill

Wonderful. Some of these airlines are packing them in sooo tight, it is ridiculous. I just read the other day, that the airlines want to decrease the size of your carryon bag.

Biggest thing I have noticed is the classes. I've been on flights with four different 'cabins'. Economy, economy plus, business, and first class. And of course after your 8 hour flight you have to walk past all the nice, bigger seats, that appear to have been empty, when you disembark.

Buy a one way ticket to the DR, put up with the horrors of air travel for a few hours, and don't return to the madhouse industrialized world. Problem solved.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
malko and Dolores
it has been a conversation for years about 'heavyweights' spilling out of their seats and being req'd to pay more.
Hasn't happened yet.... but its on the radar.

malko, oddly, it seems the transatlantic flights are less crowded in some cases.
My UK daughter has managed to have empty seats more than once to POP...
stretches out and sleeps on the 3 across.

I am never so lucky........

Jan 9, 2004
It is abundantly clear to me that on today's flights, at least those to the Dominican Republic, the carryon allowance is heavily abused.

This causes the usual delays as no space is left and all the extra carry-ons need to be checked and placed in the baggage compartments below. Those delays can be as long as 45 minutes while the flight attendants explain to irate passengers why the bag needs to be checked.

And while I know this is not likely to happen, thinking totally outside the box, why could the airlines not allow 1 checked bag free (Jetblue/Southwest notwithstanding) and charge for carry-ons....like Spirit? Except, that unlike Spirit, passengers would be allowed one smaller personal item per person (purse/laptop/diaper bag/medicine bag, etc.).

Of course it won't happen as the last minute business travelers who pay more for their tickets and for efficiency usually do not check luggage and do have carry-ons, and lastly the airlines would lose a big revenue source in their first bag fee.

But one can hope.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
One a fee is charged, it is unlikely to go away. Just like once a tax is charged...The future looks dim for air travel.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I guess Sumo wrestlers take the bus............

or pay for 2 seats,
and Im a bigger person, and trying to lose weight but i stay in my space
.. but why do any of us have to sit next to a person who takes up 1.5 seats and is sweating like a race horse.. I didnt pay for that experience.. let them sit in their own section. or pay for 2 seats. and forget about asking them to get so i can use the lavatory.. truly BIG people should decide if they want to travel by air, or pay for 2 tickets.. it should not be everyone elses problem. or at least sit in first Class or the bigger seats up front on like Jet Blue.. its only $40 more..

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Oh, ya know what really grinds my gears is Deltas new miles things. Every 4 weeks I fly almost 9,000 miles. But those miles only count as my medallion qualification miles, not real miles. The actual miles I get are based on the fare paid, which my company pays the dirt cheapest they can get. Of those 9,000 miles flown, I get about 5,000 I can actually spend on flights.