From Bavaro to nearest beaches

Mascota

Jun 16, 2015
Hello all)
Does anyone know is it possible to have a day long journey to different beaches from Bavaro, taking the buses from Friusa?
I'm interested to go to different nearby beaches - Macao,Uvero Alta, Cabeza del Toro, Juanillo, Boca de Yuma....
Would this be possible to visit them bu guaguas, starting in the morning and going back in the afternoon?
thank you everyone for your advices)

Feb 7, 2007
Macao, Uver Alto ... I think Sitrahima can take you there.
Boca de Yuma - you first need to get to Higuey on Sitrabapu (I recommend express bus), take a motoconcho to "Parada de Yuma" and then take a guaguita to Boca de Yuma. If I am not mistaken, the stop is in front of Polideportivo/Multiuso on Jose A. Santana, (also known as former Mercado Inespre). The buses are tiny minibuses meant for 9/12 passengers that pack 20.

Mascota

Jun 16, 2015
rubio_higuey thank you very much for your information!:) will use it soon)
how much time do you think it can take going from Bavaro to Boca de Yuma 1 way?
also, do you know how many times a day there are buses to Higuey, i think there should be many, right?

Feb 7, 2007
Buses to Higuey run every 20 or 30 minutes from Friusa, express buses are about every other bus. Nowadays there is not much difference between regular and express, both have AC and are quite nice buses, but express might make fewer stops, saving you maybe 5, 10 minutes max of journey time. I have no idea about guaguas to Boca de Yuma, probably every 30 minutes, maximum 60 minutes. From Friusa to Higuey to final stop it's about 60 minutes, depending on traffic, but should not be more than 70 minutes. 45-50 minutes with little traffic. I have never taken the guagua to Boca de Yuma, but it is abut 40 minute car drive from Higuey. Guagua would take maybe 10 or 15 minutes longer because of the stops.

As for being safe, if you go in daytime, yes it will be safe. Going to Boca de Yuma, I would suggest going on Sunday, best day, there will be lots of Dominicans around drinking and eating fish, from Higuey and La Romana. On weekdays it's very calm and slow and many (maybe most) places such as restaurants etc. may be closed or have limited offering.

There is a natural pool in the sea formed by rocks, about 500-1000 meters to the right of Boca de Yuma's "Boulevard" (in other words once you are in the main place where all the restaurants are, head to your right /facing the ocean/ and you should be able to find it, you can also ask around).

Mascota

Jun 16, 2015
rubio_higuey that's great, thank you so very much!
pronto voy a probar todo eso)

(i cant see how can i like the post saying thanx..?)

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Macao can be very lively on the weekends, what with carloads of families arriving to enjoy the beach. My only advice would be to get there early to be able to grab yourself a table.
That, and try to get a spot waaaayy away from the vehicles (unless, of course you like reggaeton at 135db).

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Macao may soon no longer be, they are building a new Riu hotel there.

Occupants have been asked to leave....

I heard the RIU is building just before Chic (the old Colony Bay). Hope they don't let anyone build at Macao. Its one of the best places in the area

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Macao may soon no longer be, they are building a new Riu hotel there.

Occupants have been asked to leave....

I heard the RIU is building just before Chic (the old Colony Bay). Hope they don't let anyone build at Macao. Its one of the best places in the area