Cabarete Bypass - any news?

Bob Boyd

Feb 3, 2004
I’ve heard a rumor, 3rd hand, “from a source” that the bypass won’t be built, due to opposition from environmentalist over filling a strip through the lagoon. This is part of the painting of the center line and the no parking on the side of the road through Cabarete.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I would imagine that when there were objections to the originally proposed route, the government said "To hell with them then. If they don't want the bypass we'll keep the money."

A great shame in my view, because if they could have found a way to use the proposed route without damaging the lagoon (such as raising the road) it would have been a great boost to Cabarete while being far enough from the main town not to disturb too many people. The original plan also included renovating the main street to be more people-friendly, which now presumably won't happen either.

visitante

Jun 5, 2010
During the public hearing when the proposed contractor presented it's plan, the representative from the Ministry of Environment stated that the Ministry had been left in the dark over this plan and had serious reservations. The Minister himself when learning about it stated they would not give a permit for the work. The bypass was on a list of projects for the OISOE of the office of the presidency. It is not anymore. There are alternate routes for a bypass that would have less serious environmental impacts, but going back to the drawing board meant the project wouldn't make it into this electoral cycle. The ayuntamiento distrital is still advocating with Santo Domingo for a project to improve the main street and sidewalks in the center and provide additional parking. The line painting is all the local government could do absent central government support for this project.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I think the official solution to the highway problem in Cabarete is already in place. Notice those round yellow traffic bumps glued onto the roadway at random locations?

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Funny, somebody just told me recently that it was in fact going thru. But I can't remember who it was. But just rumor.

The traffic bumps do nothing to help the problem. The problem is 200 vehicles in a 100 vehicle area, and everybody trying to move at once. For someone who hasn't experienced it, it's like Vehicular Rubiks Cube.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Unfortunate, this is. I don't suppose they will do anything with those who illegally live on public land next to the lagoon either, although that is also damaging to the lagoon.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Cabarete bypass, Sosua non hooker destination ....lmao.. they cant even fill the pot holes between Cab. and Sosua