90 Day Tourist Visa

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
The North Coast Crimestoppers just posted that beginning tomorrow there will be a new 90 day tourist visa and you can extend it in country before it expires. If true, not too many should be worried, especially snowbirds. Anyone know anything about this?

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Still the same on the DGII site, maybe it will change tomorrow.

My questions will be:

Will it be multiple entry? (Not that important)
How much will it be?
How much will it be to renew after 90 days?
After 180 days, then what? Can you renew again, have to leave and come back, if so for how long?
How will this affect drivers license, car insurance, medical insurance?
Will they phase out the exit fees, or will they remain/increase?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Still the same on the DGII site, maybe it will change tomorrow.

My questions will be:

Will it be multiple entry? (Not that important)
How much will it be?
How much will it be to renew after 90 days?
After 180 days, then what? Can you renew again, have to leave and come back, if so for how long?
How will this affect drivers license, car insurance, medical insurance?
Will they phase out the exit fees, or will they remain/increase?

The current card isn't multiple entry. I doubt you'll see a change there

After 180 days, might be re-entry
Residents need to present themselves every 6 months to stay valid ( not enforced, but the rule)

I expect you'll need residency to live like a resident - insurance, license, etc

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Here are the quotes from North Coast Crime Stoppers on facebook

IMPORTANT INFORMATION! Regarding the question of the changes to the visitor or tourist visas. Your initial visa when you enter the country is valid for 3 months. Before the 90th day, just go to the airport immigration office and pay for a renewal. Basically the same as any other country I have ever been to. So snowbirds, no worries. All is well and good.

You now have up to 90 days which is considered legal, after 90 days you would be considered illegal. So renew that visitor card before 90 days if you plan to stay in the country

I spoke to the minister directly for 5 minutes. Nobody should worry and yes there is an overstay fee. His answer was, the best course of action is to renew at the office in the airport. This way you are 100% legal

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
After 180 days, might be re-entry

I guess I am going island hopping every six months! Or, I mean, the wife and kids...

I expect you'll need residency to live like a resident - insurance, license, etc

But, I already have those things and I am not a resident. Let me clarify. Currently, a US drivers license is good for 30 day, the length of the visa. Will a foreign drivers license be valid for 90 (180) days now? As for the insurance, I guess that will be dependent on the DL question. Currently, some people, say that once you are past the 30 days your car insurance will not cover you.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
dr6
remember Mike's story.... health insurance only goes to 100,000 pesos for 'non cedula' people

Licenses might change... should have a cedula to get a license.
Perhaps the foreign license is good for the visa ( 90 days) up from 30 days.

That 30 day auto insurance question has NEVER been answered to my satisfaction.

For your family -- ferry ride to Puerto Rico every 6 months and return.... not so bad

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
dr6
remember Mike's story.... health insurance only goes to 100,000 pesos for 'non cedula' people
Yea, that too. Is it cedula, or legal status?

For your family -- ferry ride to Puerto Rico every 6 months and return.... not so bad

I know right. Or Intercaribbean airway, island hopping. Maybe Cuba! Or hell, even Haiti where I can go to Ship Wreck Cove and pretend to be Captain Jack Sparrow! Question will be, how long does one need to be out of the country to get a reset!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
to me, Cedula = legal status..... no cedula = illegal

My guess on the reset is 'In/Out'.... just a new stamp.
I am reading the new deal a s 180 MAX..... need to reboot after that or pay a fine, I guess
May not be clear yet

Island Hopping Weekend.... could be a 'dress up ' party at Pirates' Cove...

I want to go to that.

That's one reason 'whatshisname' did the Jack Sparrow role - to show his children what Daddy did for a living and to entertain them.
No R rated stuff while they were young

I mean, think about it... what thing to do for your children - and everyone else's got in on the deal !!

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Yea, that too. Is it cedula, or legal status?

I know right. Or Intercaribbean airway, island hopping. Maybe Cuba! Or hell, even Haiti where I can go to Ship Wreck Cove and pretend to be Captain Jack Sparrow! Question will be, how long does one need to be out of the country to get a reset!

Like Mexico/US. Out and immediately back in I would suppose.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It just gives the authorities a chance to refuse you if you have charges or whatever, against you.

A small'cleansing' on re-entry

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
did they post the source?

The source was apparently that the person who runs the site spoke directly with the Minister for 5 minutes. He called it the tourist visa but then corrected it to the tourist card later in the thread. There is so far nothing in the news nor on the Migracion web site.

Matilda

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I'm having a hard time finding the link to the 90 day tourist visa

Just read Mat's post, better to wait for an official announcement.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
The source was apparently that the person who runs the site spoke directly with the Minister for 5 minutes. He called it the tourist visa but then corrected it to the tourist card later in the thread. There is so far nothing in the news nor on the Migracion web site.

right, i saw that. i checked migracion twitter as well and still nothing. same with ministerio de interior y policia and jose fadul's twitter.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Here you go Anna. Here is the Migracion page - it is very helpful - totally blank lol.

i looked there too. FAQs say: ?Se Puede renovar visados dominicanos en el pa?s?
No. Para la renovaci?n de visados dominicanos, el extranjero deber? realizarlo en el Consulado Dominicano en su pa?s de origen.

interestingly enough,DGII says that tourist visa is valid for 30 days: La Tarjeta de Turista permite permanecer en el pa?s por un per?odo de 30 d?as, a partir de este tiempo el turista puede extender su estad?a pagando una tarifa que est? sujeta a la cantidad de tiempo que decida durar en el pa?s.
but website of consulado de RD en NY says 60 days: Los visados de turismo se otorgan para viajes tur?sticos, culturales, asistencia a congresos o convenciones. Tendr?n una vigencia de 60 d?as y ser?n v?lidos para una sola entrada o para entradas m?ltiples. Los beneficiarios no pueden desempe?ar actividades lucrativas algunas en territorio dominicano.

now i need to open the wardrobe and look for some booze. :laugh:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
and it says you can renew the 30 day at the airport.... some say 'NO", not possible

its all confusing...........

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
i looked there too. FAQs say: ?Se Puede renovar visados dominicanos en el pa?s?
No. Para la renovaci?n de visados dominicanos, el extranjero deber? realizarlo en el Consulado Dominicano en su pa?s de origen.

interestingly enough,DGII says that tourist visa is valid for 30 days: La Tarjeta de Turista permite permanecer en el pa?s por un per?odo de 30 d?as, a partir de este tiempo el turista puede extender su estad?a pagando una tarifa que est? sujeta a la cantidad de tiempo que decida durar en el pa?s.
but website of consulado de RD en NY says 60 days: Los visados de turismo se otorgan para viajes tur?sticos, culturales, asistencia a congresos o convenciones. Tendr?n una vigencia de 60 d?as y ser?n v?lidos para una sola entrada o para entradas m?ltiples. Los beneficiarios no pueden desempe?ar actividades lucrativas algunas en territorio dominicano.

now i need to open the wardrobe and look for some booze. :laugh:

Don't look at dominican embassies in other countries. They are under construction as is the one in th DR. The consulates right now have the old info so we wait.

http://www.drembassy.org/ and the one Mat posted. Nada yet