Cabarete Internet connection/working remotely.

lisa albertson

Jun 16, 2009
I need to know what to do to make sure I have a constant internet connection for my job when I stay in cabaret for 4 months. I know electric goes out and some places advertise they have WIFI and Inverters, etc, but I cannot rely on that. What are my best options for a backup plan which I can pay for myself. for my job I am logged into a medical transcription program, but don't know too much other than that. Not sure if the work I get from the program is considered a download or not. please help and make my dreams of coming there this winter come true! Thanks, Lisa

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
completely uninterrupted connection may be out of reach for you. the power and internet go off occasionally, for various reasons. whenever i had a job requiring remote work i used home internet and my smart phone as a backup. whenever our internet fails i connect my cell to the laptop and use it as a hot spot.

lisa albertson

Jun 16, 2009
Thanks. My thoughts are my own wifi service or something like that and then bring a portable inverter (battery backup) if necessary. Anyone got a definite answer for me?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i don't think there is a need for that. if you are in a place with good power backup (either inversor or generator) this will be enough to keep you connected to the power supply. unless, of course, there is a major issue in the area (think flood and so on). what i am saying is that regardless of the electricity issue sometimes the internet lines fail too (like ADSL or fiberoptics). this is why i use the internet from my mobile as a backup. what you need is a smart phone with prepaid internet plan.

lisa albertson

Jun 16, 2009
I am one of the few people in the world w/o a cell phone, but I am thinking of getting one when there so I will keep that in mind. Thanks.

singletravel

Oct 13, 2003
I have a unit in Ocean One, have a internet modem (claro, adsl, 5mg) plugged into a small ups, never had a problem (if power goes out, its just for a few minutes here and ups handles that). But I also have a cell from from China (they have two sim card slots :)). One slot for voice (Orange) and other for Claro (great internet and you can buy a monthly package of 500 mg for under 500 pesos and works well as a back up. Just turn on your hotspot (as pointed out) and great backup !!

Your always connect one way or another ....

singletravel

Yes, Rob, sold my Charmico apartment :)

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
As long as you are renting in something gated like Ocean One/Dream, you won't have much power interruptions since there is usually a backup diesel generator. But your power will go out at times and your wifi will go out at times, so you'll need a laptop and something like a 3G USB-powered modem from Orange or Claro for a backup on both counts.

CocoBoy

Feb 23, 2012
Thanks. My thoughts are my own wifi service or something like that and then bring a portable inverter (battery backup) if necessary. Anyone got a definite answer for me?

Your concerns are valid and understood. I require as close to 100% reliable internet access as is possible. To do so, first power delivery has to be 100%. This is accomplished with Edenorte, an inverter w/ batteries and generator. Secondary are the Internet Service Providers of which I have two. Without the redundancy in power supply and ISPs, I would not be able to achieve 100% online performance. Not inexpensive to provide at my home location, but worth it in the long run.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I don't use technology much...what is a ups? Very useful information which I am sure I will use. Thanks.

UPS is like a battery or alternative power source. it is connected to the computer. when power goes off UPS keeps the computer on long enough to save files and safely switch it off.

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
3G internet router with built-in rechargeable battery can last for up to 8+ hrs without power. Or a UPS as already suggested.

lisa albertson

Jun 16, 2009
Ok, that is what I was talking about...like a portable inverter that is rechargeable when electric comes back on....something like this which I was going to bring with me....oops I now see the words UPS in there lol. They are about $100 bucks in US. Thanks.

APC - Back-UPS 125VA Network UPS - White - Larger Front

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
Ok, that is what I was talking about...like a portable inverter that is rechargeable when electric comes back on....something like this which I was going to bring with me....oops I now see the words UPS in there lol. They are about $100 bucks in US. Thanks.

APC - Back-UPS 125VA Network UPS - White - Larger Front

You do not need to bring one. It is heavy. You can buy one here for around US$ 70, a good one.

senorblanco

Jun 11, 2006
You do not need to bring one. It is heavy. You can buy one here for around US$ 70, a good one.

You will be fine. Iget Internet through my Cable , Cable Norte, there is like 6 or 8 plans I have the second worst from the bottom, costs me like 20 bucks a month for wireless in my house and I never have problems

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You will be fine. Iget Internet through my Cable , Cable Norte, there is like 6 or 8 plans I have the second worst from the bottom, costs me like 20 bucks a month for wireless in my house and I never have problems

I went with Cable Del Norte after CLARO DSL became unreliable and their employees turned into morons. Much better service.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Just throwing in my personal back-up plan, as have the same need as OP:

1. Laptop with extra-capacity battery (for example 7800 mAh if available for your laptop) make sure to use only brand-batteries, otherwise lifetime can be very short, mine current one is in use since 1,5 years, still provides 4,5 hours), these will give you up to 6-8 hours time, can even power the modem in an emergency, and cost only a fraction of a UPS or inverter solution.

2. Main internet connection (as per your choice), additional wireless back-up plans from local mobile phone operators (USB-Stick or similar)

3. Secondary laptop for any other failure, with software as equal to the main one as possible.

We currently have no inverter nor UPS, due to the reason that our circuit is practically 24/7, and while I need to turn of the second monitor when there?s no luz, otherwise it?s painless.

lisa albertson

Jun 16, 2009
oops I accidentally "disliked" the post...Was trying to figure out the "post thanks". But thanks for the advice Josh 223.

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009
I work remotely from Santiago and I have Claro, I pay extra for faster internet and my neighbors gave me permision to use their tricom wifi in case claro ever goes down. So far, I haven't had any complains, my internet is super fast and reliable. Although, I'm talking about Santiago here, I don't know if Cabarete has the same internet options.

Additionally, I have backup laptop and a home computer just in case my main laptop decides to fail. My sector is 24/7, but my parents have an inverter for just in case. Is kind of funny how my cowerkers who live in the states tend to have more internet issues (mainly due to weather) than me who lives in a third world country.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
As Gurabo mentioned above, I'm in Santiago as well so your results may vary.

I work from home and 99.9% of the time have internet and power.

My internet is through Claro and I have a power inverter. You MUST have a power inverter, there is no way around it if you want 24/7 power.

Claro is reliable (for the most part) and there have been isolated incidents when the internet has gone out or been slow. This was a general problem for Santiago and not just for me.

I have 10/mbps internet (the best for non-fiber optic areas) with 800 minutes on a telephone. It's less than RD$3000/month.

Keep in mind that if you will only be down here for 4 months, you will have to sign an 18 month contract for internet (with whoever you choose) and will need to pay the penalty for cancelling early and breaking the contract.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think it would be best for OP to rent an apartment/house with internet contract included in the price. there are many places that offer wifi. it's also good to be within walking distance to alternative network, such as wifi in a cafe/restaurant.

here in POP electricity has never been an issue for us, even before we were connected to 24/7. we have inversor so the power is pretty much uninterrupted. but we did have a major internet issue once that lasted a whole month.

now OP knows, roughly, what criteria to use while looking for a lodging.