Change in Thompson Rules for one way ticket from Puerto Plata

Pansy

Banned
Apr 14, 2009
I have just tried to book a one way ticket from Puerto Plata home. When I first rang this morning I was told there was a seat on the flight to Manchester on 11th July costing ?435. Unfortunately they couldn't book it because they needed the reference number for the Puerto Plata Rep which wasn't in the system. Once the office opened they would speak to someone in the DR and get back to me.

Three hours and many telephone calls later I have been told they can no longer sell one way tickets from Puerto Plata, only Punta Cana! I could go onto the web and book it myself. You actually can't do this and never have been able to.

I asked for the number of the local office and she gave me 809-468-7176, but this doesn't seem to work. Thompson stopped their reps selling standby tickets year ago.

Does anyone have any useful suggestions. My next action will probably have to be American Airlines through Miami to Heathrow.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
They haven't sold one way tickets from POP for a long time. I didn't think they still did so from Punta Cana. Cheapest way I have found to go back to the UK from POP is with Condor via Frankfurt. I just booked a ticket today. It's cheaper than going via the USA.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
They haven't sold one way tickets from POP for a long time. I didn't think they still did so from Punta Cana. Cheapest way I have found to go back to the UK from POP is with Condor via Frankfurt. I just booked a ticket today. It's cheaper than going via the USA.

Curious to know how much you paid and if you booked a connector flight to the UK how much was this?
Thanks.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I paid US$779.99 but the price changes all the time. It includes the onward flight to Heathrow with Lufthansa and I think they go to Manchester as well. Yesterday I could have bought a ticket a week earlier for $100 less but had a problem with my credit card and missed it. So don't delay!

Pansy

Banned
Apr 14, 2009

Thank you everyone for your comments. I think I will also spend some time with Trip Advisor. It has been possible to buy a one way ticket until very recently, but you had to ring a number in England. In fact the one I rang this morning and got the conflicting information. My husband returned this way a couple of months ago.

Helsbels

Feb 3, 2013
We had the same problem with Thomson. They won't sell you a one-way from DR to UK anymore. We flew with British Airways from Punta Cana to Gatwick non-stop. You can book it all online easily. It's just a pain travelling to Punta Cana if you're on the other side of the island (8hrs and 3 guaguas from Samana!) :)

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
It is very easy to resolve, just don't fly with Thomson. There are other airports than PUJ as well. You can always fly one way cheaply if you have a little room to mix it up a bit.

Pansy

Banned
Apr 14, 2009
I woke up this morning and realised it had to be a glitch in Thompsons's system. If they were willing to sell a ticket from Punta Cana but not Puerto Plata it wasn't a policy change.
So before I booked Air Berlin, my next chosen option, I thought I would give them another call. I now have a seat out on the 11th July, cost (and it varies every time) ?435. The number you ring in England is 01144-333-336-5147. They like you to have flown out with them and sometimes they ask for a booking reference.

Their main advantage is that it is non-stop and the new planes have much more room, even in "cattle class".

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Well this is news to me and I wish I had known it before I booked with Condor. Every Brit I know says you can't book a ticket with Thomson starting this end. You certainly can't book a flight from any DR airport with Thomson online. I will guard the UK number with my life for future reference.

Pansy

Banned
Apr 14, 2009
Well this is news to me and I wish I had known it before I booked with Condor. Every Brit I know says you can't book a ticket with Thomson starting this end. You certainly can't book a flight from any DR airport with Thomson online. I will guard the UK number with my life for future reference.
No you can't do it on line, you have to speak to a person. At one time you could only do it for immediate returns i.e. within a week, but now they will let you book several weeks ahead. I've got a flight for the 11th July.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Pansy - gracias .. I have sent that number to my daughter for a Xmas flight -- 1 way into POP and POP- MIA- heathrow home

if we can work it out

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I called them too and was quoted a price of ?469 to fly from POP to LGW on 26th July. Manchester was another option. Flight back from UK to POP on 23rd August at ?600 but that included luggage. So, despite, what we have all been told in the past, it is possible!