More fun with Edenorte

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
Last Wednesday we lost the "luz" in my rented apartment. After a couple of hours I noticed the rest of the building had electricity. I was just going to call in an electrician when a neighbor told me that an Edenorte engineer had been here two hours previously.

I called into the Edenorte office to complain they had cut off my power accidentally. (I am never in arrears paying my account). They told me there was an amount owed by the previous tenant from 2009, before I immigrated to the DR, and a year before I moved into this apartment.

1) Why has it taken them nearly six years to unearth this alleged debut (around RD$4200)?

2) Why would they not contact the occupant first before summarily cutting off the power, to give him/her the chance to settle the account?

Fortunately for me my landlady (who lives far away) agreed that I should pay the disputed amount and deduct it from my next monthly rent payment. She will then contest it with Edenorte herself.

This is the second time this has happened. Two years ago exactly the same happened. That time I paid the alleged RD$2600 debt myself as it was not worth the hassle of bothering my landlady. Their excuse then for the three years delayed claim was that they had just installed a new computer system and had discovered the discrepancy while doing so. So:

3) Why did they not discover the second alleged amount at that time?

In all fairness, once I had paid the amount, they sent an engineer to reconnect within an hour.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
1) Why has it taken them nearly six years to unearth this alleged debut (around RD$4200)?

2) Why would they not contact the occupant first before summarily cutting off the power, to give him/her the chance to settle the account?

We have moved a few times, based on that:

1. The bookkeeping and tracking skills of EDEs do baffle me at times, along with the "well-functioning" contadores. I have learned to be pretty strict and find out a lot of stuff myself, and that has helped a great deal.

2. The service level that the guys in the van are willing to give, depends. Last time they were standing in front of our house (after us moving in), and made sure someone came to speak with them. They said they have an order to cut the wires, but they can ignore the order until noon, if we can take care of the things now. We did, and they never came back, all went well. Other times happened just like with you, we only heard afterwards that they quietly just cut the wires and left. We would need to pass by the office.

What ever happened to the concept of going after the "original dead-beat" who dodged the bill in the first place? Typical Dominican Logic (whatever that is) to get some unsuspecting Gringo to foot-the-bill...:confused:

At least on our case many times the electricity contract is in the name of the landlord, not the tenant, so it is only the interest of the landlord to claim these funds, but if someone has left debt with electricity, they usually have also lived out their deposits, and the landlord isn?t willing to go through the trouble of fighting over this.

If the contract is in the name of the tenant, I suppose they could do this, not sure if they want the trouble either. The easiest way for them obviously to get the money is to cut the wires from the contador linked to the contract, no matter who lives there now... The current tenants also have the highest motivation to get the electricity back on, no matter if they have incurred debt or no...

TP666

Sep 6, 2005
Once they read my meter incorrectly. I took photos and went to the office. At which time sat down with the Rep. No sir the reading is correct. No it is not the reading is 3413 not 4413. Ok ok what should I do than since you should know better than I. Pay the bill! (Maybe I am wrong) So I paid. So went home and took more photos. And I was sure I was correct. Went back and demanded that they check the new photos. Oh oh sorry I am correct. At which time they gave me a credit. Next bill showed me a credit less monthly usage. Went to the office and was told to take a #. After an hour they gave me a credit that I paid. Next day 2 Tech. came to cut my line for non payment. No way, I have a credit. After they called the office they left. Next bill went to office to pay. Rep. said take a #. No way just register that I was here to pay. I am not going to sit all afternoon. Ok ok they did a deduction. Next day the Techs came to disconnect. Wow go away I have a credit! They left.
Last bill my credit was 0.00. No way a charge for having a credit plus a 2 cut offs. Back to the office which they took off the charges. Next day new Techs came by to check meter and cut my electric. Again they left after calling the office they left. Next bill was 0,00. Back to the office again. Lady said no I do not have to pay anything. No Miss I am here to pay my Bill 0.00. If you do not register me paying than you will cut my electric. Ok ok.Paid; 3 days later 2 Techs checked my meter. All of this Crap happening was that I was on 24 hour service. But being that I was past due my district lost the 24 hour service. When I paid the 0.00 I was on 24 hour service again. What a f^%king nightmare!!!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
What ever happened to the concept of going after the "original dead-beat" who dodged the bill in the first place? Typical Dominican Logic (whatever that is) to get some unsuspecting Gringo to foot-the-bill...:confused:

some die or leave the country altogether. others manage their living skipping bills and it would cost more money and time to track them down and try to squeeze as much as a peso from their hustling ass.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
They will keep doing this because some people give in and pay up. When I moved here again in 2010 edesur told me to pay 4000 pesos that the former client left. I refused and asked if they were crazy. They removed the debt and connected us as a new client.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Lol, my house's electrical bill is still in the name of the guy who sold me the property, even though we tore down the house and built another one. The guy has lived in NYC for 25 years.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Once they read my meter incorrectly. I took photos and went to the office. At which time sat down with the Rep. No sir the reading is correct. No it is not the reading is 3413 not 4413. Ok ok what should I do than since you should know better than I. Pay the bill! (Maybe I am wrong) So I paid. So went home and took more photos. And I was sure I was correct. Went back and demanded that they check the new photos. Oh oh sorry I am correct. At which time they gave me a credit. Next bill showed me a credit less monthly usage. Went to the office and was told to take a #. After an hour they gave me a credit that I paid. Next day 2 Tech. came to cut my line for non payment. No way, I have a credit. After they called the office they left. Next bill went to office to pay. Rep. said take a #. No way just register that I was here to pay. I am not going to sit all afternoon. Ok ok they did a deduction. Next day the Techs came to disconnect. Wow go away I have a credit! They left.
Last bill my credit was 0.00. No way a charge for having a credit plus a 2 cut offs. Back to the office which they took off the charges. Next day new Techs came by to check meter and cut my electric. Again they left after calling the office they left. Next bill was 0,00. Back to the office again. Lady said no I do not have to pay anything. No Miss I am here to pay my Bill 0.00. If you do not register me paying than you will cut my electric. Ok ok.Paid; 3 days later 2 Techs checked my meter. All of this Crap happening was that I was on 24 hour service. But being that I was past due my district lost the 24 hour service. When I paid the 0.00 I was on 24 hour service again. What a f^%king nightmare!!!

I think you should win some sort of prize for this story. And they wonder why people go postal.

Gringonazo

Sep 27, 2014
I take a photo of my meter every morning around 8:45. This thread is the mere reason I do so. It is sad that we have to be on the defensive so much of the time.

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
I take a photo of my meter every morning around 8:45. This thread is the mere reason I do so. It is sad that we have to be on the defensive so much of the time.

When i went for my first residency [ Many years ago ] On requirement was have a water contract ! The previous people in the building had not paid for 30 years. They said pay up all to date or no water contract ! My first experience with Dominican mentality. I was not in the country and never had been until then !