Are you interested in planting a rare native plant on your property in Sosua?

Sos?a sage is a pretty shrub of about 1,5 to 2 meters hight. Leaves are whitish, flowers are orange and attract hummingbirds.

Do you own a business or private property in or near Sos?a, and are you willing to plant some of these beautiful and rare shrubs? Coastal cliffs or rocky sites with lots of sunshine are best for Sos?a sage. 1 plant requires about 1 square meter when fully grown. Please give us a rough guess, how many plants you are willing to plant.

We are also looking for nurseries (or avid gardeners) in or near Sosua, willing to grow these plants from seeds.

Join Acci?n salva una especie by supporting this action. Grow plants from seeds or plant this rare shrub on your property.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have the perfect habitat for this plant but like donP am not in Sosua.

Cabrera / Abreu is my location..... I am willing to begin a colony here if you wish.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
This is an interesting coincidence.

we just had a conversation this week about 'indigenous' & 'endemic'..... even had to pull out my autographed copy of the Webster's Dictionary !!

The point is that we have a project here that is using ONLY endemic plants..... singularly.
No trinitaria, nada....

I have passed your information on to the head horticulturist who is from Pto Plata.
(Actually, Tambo's post)

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I live in Sosua. I have space for a few of these plants. I can make do with seeds or cuttings, your choice. When you have enough posts, you may send me a private message or you can post information on how to contact you and I will.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Lots of questions. Is it a native plant? Is it invasive? Why is it rare? How did you acquire cuttings/seeds?

amordecanada

Jul 19, 2014
Sos?a sage is a pretty shrub of about 1,5 to 2 meters hight. Leaves are whitish, flowers are orange and attract hummingbirds.

Do you own a business or private property in or near Sos?a, and are you willing to plant some of these beautiful and rare shrubs? Coastal cliffs or rocky sites with lots of sunshine are best for Sos?a sage. 1 plant requires about 1 square meter when fully grown. Please give us a rough guess, how many plants you are willing to plant.

We are also looking for nurseries (or avid gardeners) in or near Sosua, willing to grow these plants from seeds.

Join Acci?n salva una especie by supporting this action. Grow plants from seeds or plant this rare shrub on your property.

I would love a plant or two. I have the perfect setting....Rocky garden (guess you would say hillside). I'm up in Los Cerros. Please pm me

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
looks interesting...like a mary plant and a devils trumpet or angels trumpet in a different color...

crabgrass

Aug 15, 2011
Hi, We would love to participate in the revival of the Sosua sage. We live in Sosua and have a very large yard up in La Mulata 3.

deepdiver

Jun 18, 2011
Hi There i live in Playa Chiquita Sosua and would love to share my garden with the Sosua sage let me know how i can contact you

More than 6 serious requests in 3 days via the DR1 forum alone, and some more via the webpage Acci?n salva una especie. Thanks for this great feedback! This is of great help! We think we will be able to convince a nursery near Sosua to produce these plants for you!

It might take a while to grow these plants from seeds. So stay tuned! We will inform you as soon as plants are available!

I don't get it, if I plant this in Santo Domingo, it won't grow?

Aim of this project is to strenghten the population of Sosua sage within its natural range. And the natural range of this species is restricted to Sosua (within the DR).
You are certainly right - Sosua sage might grow quite well in Santo Domingo too. Establishing a third population in Santo Domingo is however not a priority of the current project.

Thanks for your requests, orders and other feedback!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Aim of this project is to strenghten the population of Sosua sage within its natural range. And the natural range of this species is restricted to Sosua (within the DR).

why is it restricted to sosua? is the environment there especially fertile? is it the moist ground? is it the quality of manure? is it the ease of spreading the seeds?