Antenna for over the air stations.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
What kind of antenna is best for picking up over the air TV stations with an HDTV in Santo Domingo. I don't know if an amplified HDTV antenna will work since I don't know if they broadcast HDTV signals there.

Aug 6, 2006
What kind of antenna is best for picking up over the air TV stations with an HDTV in Santo Domingo. I don't know if an amplified HDTV antenna will work since I don't know if they broadcast HDTV signals there.

============================
A "fishbone" NTSC antenna will pick up both NTSC signals and HDTV signals, but if there are no HDTV signals available, it cannot pick them up.

My understanding is that in the DR there are only NTSC broadcasts. HD is available on cable. I think you can get Netflix via a cable or DSL modem and a Roku or Slingbox.

I bought a fairly recent Coby flatscreen TV and it was equipped with both HDTV and NTSC tuners. In Barahona, it only picked up NTSC signals.

HDTV signals do not seem to travel as far. My Silo flatscreen in Miami only picks up HDTV signals, because there are no NTSC signals being sent.

Previously, it picked up an NTSC signal that told me that I needed an HDTV or a converter box over and over again.

You can find out how to make an HDTV antenna out of a ballast, wire coathangers and wood strips on line, by the way.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
And the future is on "convergence" with the Internet carrying the vast majority of TV and Movies. (Probably already happened, so it could well be the past.)

My TV is now primarily IPTV.