Mailing small packages to Puerto Plata

Robee

Dec 2, 2005
I would like to send small packages to a friend in Puerto Plata. Is the Dominican Mail/Postal Service reliable? She has a Postal Office close by in her neighborhood of Montellano. FedEx, UPS and DHL do not seem to service her area. She seems to believe that the post office in her neighborhood will receive the packages and call her for pick-up. I just want to send her clothing, shoes and vitamins. I know that there are dozens of shipping companies here in New York but they seem to specialize is shipments of big boxes, vats and large containers. Any ideas?

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
ups charges 50 to ship a large envelope. and i heard the regular post office may still or loose your package.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I have tried to 'splain this to First Worlders. There is no postal service,at least not on the North Coast.

billma90

Aug 15, 2012
Toronto
I sent an envelope with just photos in it. I got it back in about 3 months, i forgot to put a phone number on the envelope for the post office to call. Envelope was not opened, even had 500 pesos in it. lol

shunch

Nov 21, 2012
I have sent packages. Sometimes they get there some times they don't. I used Canada Post. The post office in pp may keep. Best to send money order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
I have tried to 'splain this to First Worlders. There is no postal service,at least not on the North Coast.

Where in the north coast are you referring? I have mailed items to Nagua for years and never lost a item. Just mailed a new smart phone and it got to the house from Florida in 5 days. And I have even sent laptops.

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
Yes there is a postal service. We even have a box# in Cabrera. I have not had the courage to send any parcels tho! Might have to try that since Barker1964 is having success in Nagua. And if I were sending clothes and vitamins I would sure use the POP post office, its just that i not sure I wouldn't angst over a smart phone or laptop.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Where in the north coast are you referring? I have mailed items to Nagua for years and never lost a item. Just mailed a new smart phone and it got to the house from Florida in 5 days. And I have even sent laptops.

Nagua must be an aberration for INPOSDOM on the north coast. I would never send anything to the Sosua/Cabarete area using INPOSDOM.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I live in Sosua and have done 4 mail tests, just to see. Out of the 8 letters and 8 postcards sent to the US (various locations), 2 arrived, after 10 weeks. The tests were conducted 4 months apart over a period of 2 years.

None of our bills come in the mail; they're all delivered by messengers on motos. This does not engender confidence.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I live in Sosua and have done 4 mail tests, just to see. Out of the 8 letters and 8 postcards sent to the US (various locations), 2 arrived, after 10 weeks. The tests were conducted 4 months apart over a period of 2 years.

None of our bills come in the mail; they're all delivered by messengers on motos. This does not engender confidence.

Sending out of the country is much more reliable than sending into the country using INPOSDOM.

Robee

Dec 2, 2005
Well, thank you all for your responses.
I have access to FedEx at work (I work for a law firm in NYC) and we get a discount so I used FedEx. First package was small and contained some kids clothing and a brand new cellphone. Arrived in 6 days with no
problems. So, I tried a second time: three medium boxes containing health and beauty aids, vitamins, two backpacks, some
toys ...
"Aduana" (Customs) in Santiago has stopped the packages and is demanding a Commercial Form/Declaration and
Invoices/Bills, Receipts ...
They want to know the price of each item and are assuming that this is an order placed from the DR
to the US ...
FedEx does not seem to be able to help me and the 3 boxes are somewhere in the Santiago airport being held by
"Aduana Dominicana".
No idea what to do. It has been 21 days since FedEx picked up the boxes from my office in Times Square.

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
do you have the bills/receipts? what was the declared value of the package, if any? if you can provide the documents requested, the customs will calculate how much tax you need to pay (if any). few weeks ago we had something shipped with fedex and paid the customs charges in fedex office in santiago. the package was released the same day and delivered the next day.

alternatively, you can just count it as a loss, if the value of the items is not great and it will be more hassle for you to provide the paperwork. for the future, just use courier service, like tambo suggested in post #3. much easier.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
When you send packages between countries, you need to supply documentation itemizing what's in the package, its value, whether it's a gift or a commercial order. Most countries expect to collect tax of some sort on goods entering their country. Some items may fall within what is allowed tax/duty free but without the proper documentation, customs will seize the stuff until the sender/recipient cough up the paperwork and pay if taxes are assessed. You're not sending a care package to New Jersey.

Some courier services make it easy for you to pay any customs charges but that is only after you supply the paperwork for adunas to assess those charges in the first place.

Robee

Dec 2, 2005
Thanks. I will be traveling to Puerto Plata at the end of May, so I guess I will head to Santiago's FedEx office and see if I can just pay there in person and retrieve the packages. Is hard to say how much... these are all small items, cosmetics, and stuff that I bought over 4 or 6 months plus some items I had stored at home. The whole shipment is probably worth $170.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you need to check this with fedex but there is a time limit to pay the customs.