Great new book / Pirate Hunters

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I saw a new book on the shelves, called Pirate Hunter. I'm a sucker for anything to do with that subject. I went home and that night downloaded onto Kindle. I was finishing another book and just got to it last night. To my surprise this is a true story which takes place in the DR, specifically Samana. The book is about two men who are trying to find a 17th century pirate ship, called the Golden Fleece, which sunk in Samana Bay, supposedly off Cayo Laventado. I read about 30 pages and couldn't put it down. I highly recommend it, especially anyone living on the Peninsula.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
thanks, I am a wanna be pirate person also. Going to read it. Google is your friend ej293

ejl293

May 29, 2012
I did look and there are books with this name by 3 or 4 authors. Just wanted help on the particular book. Since you seem to have thoroughly researched the subject, maybe you could guide me to the correct book?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I did look and there are books with this name by 3 or 4 authors. Just wanted help on the particular book. Since you seem to have thoroughly researched the subject, maybe you could guide me to the correct book?

Pirate Hunters by Robert Kurson.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Just remember that drinking rum at 10 in the morning does not make you an alcoholic..... it makes you a pirate
Cheers

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Just remember that drinking rum at 10 in the morning does not make you an alcoholic..... it makes you a pirate
Cheers

Only in Blackbeard's......

Not really in the office or driving a 40 ton rig..(or Honda Cub for that matter) with a skull and crossbones.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Just FYI John Chatterton is a well known commercial diver and Mattera is the owner of a marine salvage company. Robert Kurson also wrote Shadow Divers.

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
Is the plunder from Cofresi's ship,scuttled off of Punta Gorda mentioned in this book.

Interesting story.
After being chased by a Spanish patrol into Samana Bay they scuttled their vessel and escaped in skiffs into Los Haitises, leaving their ship laden with plunder.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
As a pirate geek, by far the best, most accurate and most complete history of the "golden age" of piracy is The Republic of Pirates: Being the True and Surprising Story of the Caribbean Pirates and the Man Who Brought Them Down by Colin Woodard.