New Traffic light in Cabarete

Was at the new traffic light in Cabarete today and as I was stopped at the red light people were blowing through the red going the other way with Amet standing there scratching his head. Haha.

The Orange sign is covering the traffic light kinda going towards Sosua way so it is pretty hard to see until right there.

jfk-tampa

Jul 28, 2007
where might the new traffic light be? it will slow traffic just like those speed bumps . if they were gonna put a light in it should be at jose oshay,s with a turn signal pointing to frank12,s table

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
cabarete has traffic lights? where exactly? i need to know if there is enough room for me to pull over after someone crashes into my bumper when i stop at the red...

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
It's at the 4-way intersection of the main road, el callejon de la loma, and ocean dream. Like the traffic light when first installed at Playero in Sosua, it may take some time for people to honor it... but hopefully they do.
There have been accidents there literally almost weekly for years. An amet officer is also supposed to be stationed there indefinitely as part of the deal. Local interests lobbied for and paid for the light.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I can't see the motoconchistas who race each other across the main street to meet people getting off gua-guas or coming out of Ocean Dream paying much attention.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
What is going on here?? Things are making sense?!

Proposed, planned and paid for by foreign interests ;)

Done with best intentions to benefit all.
I hope through some miracle there are no serious accidents anytime soon... as prior accidents will be forgotten and new ones blamed on the light.

Jan 17, 2009
It'll take time for people to get used to it, but let's hope it saves lives. That's the intersection with regular and many fatal accidents in Cabarete.

tomas2

Nov 29, 2005
Proposed, planned and paid for by foreign interests ;)

Done with best intentions to benefit all.

Yeah, I have been reading about this new (Gringo) ?sheriff? in Cabarete setting up cameras, hiring new cops, acquiring a couple of police dogs, getting the local police car repainted, and posting lots and lots of pictures of himself (he is usually wearing military outfits of some sort) handing over these items to the community, or shaking hands with local law enforcement officials. There is definitely some dough flowing in, but I haven't really heard anything indicating where it is coming from. From what I have seen in Cabarete, not much is self-sustaining. The minute 100% outside funding (and active local non-Dominican management) dries up things collapse. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Yeah, I have been reading about this new (Gringo) ?sheriff? in Cabarete setting up cameras, hiring new cops, acquiring a couple of police dogs, getting the local police car repainted, and posting lots and lots of pictures of himself (he is usually wearing military outfits of some sort) handing over these items to the community, or shaking hands with local law enforcement officials. There is definitely some dough flowing in, but I haven't really heard anything indicating where it is coming from. From what I have seen in Cabarete, not much is self-sustaining. The minute 100% outside funding (and active local non-Dominican management) dries up things collapse. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

Uhm. Ok. But as far as I know he wasn't a driving force on this effort. Maybe someone knows that he was.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
The timing is as usual ridiculous!
The main traffic flow is suspended for minutes causing tailbacks to Caoba whilst nothing comes or goes from the side roads.
Will probably soon be ignored when no AMET present, increasing the danger level.
Can't they do anything right???

(Stupid question... forgot where I was, Sorry,(( pero no es mi culpa))

tomas2

Nov 29, 2005
Uhm. Ok. But as far as I know he wasn't a driving force on this effort. Maybe someone knows that he was.

He has a Facebook site:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/crimestoppersdr/

There are pictures of him supervising the installation, and several postings that seemed to indicate he was leading the effort. For example, someone was complaining about the streetlight (that no one would stop, and actually cause more accidents), saying a round-a-bout might be a better design, and he wrote:

"I will get a quote from the engineers and construction company and I am sure if it will somehow fit in the space available, the mayor would surely let <person 1 and person 2> foot the bill, let me get back to you guys soon. Thanks for volunteering"

And there were more posts of people thanking him, and I didn't see him correcting anyone that their praise was misplaced.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Soon to be the most dangerous intersection on the North Coast. Especially when AMET calls it a day at 4PM.

Now many years later many ignore the light at the Playero again especially at night.

Bob K

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
It's at the 4-way intersection of the main road, el callejon de la loma, and ocean dream. Like the traffic light when first installed at Playero in Sosua, it may take some time for people to honor it... but hopefully they do.
There have been accidents there literally almost weekly for years. An amet officer is also supposed to be stationed there indefinitely as part of the deal. Local interests lobbied for and paid for the light.

Whoever set the timers on the light at Playero should be put up against the wall and flogged.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Well, I hope they get the timing issue fixed, but I for one am glad it's there.

Last year, I saw an awful motorcycle accident right at that spot. The bike, which was in pieces over 100 feet, was in far better shape than the rider.

Anything that makes the area less dangerous is fine by me - even if I have to wait an extra 30 seconds for the light to change.