First Time in Zona Colonial

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
I took my first trip to la Zona Colonial yesterday. I had been wanting to go for quite awhile to see the history, soak in the atmosphere, and understand the beginnings of the new world.

It's beautiful.

The structures created hundreds of years ago are really amazing. Looking at them was a real treat and being able to walk in the same places as these people from hundreds of years ago was an incredible experience.

I am not understanding why there is so much construction going on. It's really a pity. I never wanted to go to the Zona Colonial and see a modern building. I really didn't like being unable to walk certain streets due to construction either.

There was an incredibly old building (I think the hotel which had the wall collapse) which had construction right next to it. Not renovation or preservation, new construction. Doesn't make sense to me.

It's really a shame that is going on and it was a huge turn off for me in that area.

I did really enjoy the Museo de Ambar (Amber Museum) which had a lot of nice pieces to look at and an incredibly intelligent gentlemen giving a tour.

Anyways, if you've never been and are here in DR, check it out. Good history lesson with a lot of people from all walks of life.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think all the digging is a part of renovations and fixing the area. i like ZC and personally i appreciate juxtaposition of ultra modern "plugs" between old buildings. shame that in ZC those additions are normally fugly and architecturally boring monstrosities.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
The hotel that amp is referring to is the Hotel Frances operated by Accor . The road in front of the hotel was part of the dreadful renovations and a water pipe was broken there and finally , as there was no drainage with part renovations , the rubble and stone wall of the hotel gave away . Yes , the digging and what looks like a new building appears to be part of the stabilisation process and will have an old facade soon. The one great success story has been the reovations of the facades and , if you are still in ZC, you may care to walk along 19 de Marzo fairly close to Calle Mercedes and see a fantastic facade renovation.
So glad you liked ZC ,it really is quite unique and nothing like the other old spanish colonial cities that I have visited .

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
I think they've done a shyte job of restoring the oldest city in the new world and look what they've done with the old structures at San Filipe in pop ,nothing !

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
Well Bob how about this. As you know or maybe dont know their is no longer any parking in the Zona Colonial Thanks to Maribel ! I had to go there for some papers in my office [I had my office in Z.C. for over 20 years ] I stopped and sent my wife in for the papers. Then a very nice AMET woman came over and gave me a ticket for obstructing traffic.