Working remotely

LauraIsabella

Aug 6, 2013
I was unsure whether to post this here or in living. I am Canadian. I live in Canada and work from home (internet-based). I was wondering if I can move to DR and still continue working my current job there legally?

Any help would or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
if you work internet based, you can do your internet job from where ever you want, as long as you have a connection to da net.
IF and Where you are eligable to pay taxes on your income,
depends on where your company is registered/based physically.
a example:
i do all my bookings for my biz online.
my company is DR registered and has to pay the appropriate taxes here in DR.
when out of the country, i do my bookings still online, from where ever i am located at the time,
but the money still comes in on the same DR registered/based bank accounts and still pays the same DR Taxes, exactly as if i would sit on a DR based computer.
if you do not run a registered company and do not pay any taxes to anywhere at all til now,
then you won't have to pay such if working from a DR computer neither.
it all depends how and where you receive your payment from customers/your salary etc.

Mike

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Mike is completely correct.

In my situation I am a US citizen and my work is US based. I work from the DR on my computer but pay US taxes.

Dmason

Mar 11, 2012
Hi mike

I am wondering about your thoughts on internet especially if you are on the north coast. I am hoping to return but need truly stable min 1 mob down speed.

I appreciate your opinions.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
There are companies that require you have to be based in the same country even if you work remotely. That is why I said "ask your employer" to be on the safe side.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Hi mike

I am wondering about your thoughts on internet especially if you are on the north coast. I am hoping to return but need truly stable min 1 mob down speed.

i am far from the northshores,
i am on the southern tip of the East, Punta Cana.
but that doesn't matter,
available internet services can vary from small area to the next neighboured area.
i live myself in such Claro-Stoneaged-Area,
a lil pueblo named Cabeza de Toro.
we still can not get Claro TV over the cable, 79 channels via Claro parabol is the max.
not that i would need more telenovela channels, lol.
a sfor phone i can get all the available plans.
as for internet i have the maximum they can provide here,
which is a 3MB download/0.7MB upload line.
it is completely fine for my own use, which means i have usually 24/7 a dozen selfupdating weather Tabs open, chat on 5-6 bords like here on DR1( their tabs are also always open), i have all the time 3 tabs for email accounts open and in the evenings watch via the same connection over my wifi Movies on Netflix.
sometimes, during the peak usage hrs, the connection reaches it's limits, specially when the babygal watches at the same time a Kids Movie/series via Netflix in the next room.
such connection is by my own knowledge the most basic everywhere available connection by Claro, you should get such everywhere, including on the Northcoast, but again, ask the guys from the North about a specific area which you have in mind.
i hope Claro keeps their promise, to connect my pueblocito before year's end with the fiberconnection.
on that i would take a medium package with several times my up/download speed, TV over cable(most basic package runs around 240 channels then) and the same Phone Plan, for even a few hundred pesos less than i pay now for the stoneage connection(stoneage but fine for the needs of my own work).
i pay at this moment around 3.300.- pesos per month for phone and TV and Internet package together, including the addy for 3 TV boxes(the regular connection includes one TV box).
the connexion is stable and reliable "most" time of the year.
an other option, in case you would live "remotely" without a landbased connection or you would stay independend of a location based Plan,
you could take a cellphone data plan with a 4G phone.
my samsung provides me almost everywhere with 15-20MB download and 9-15MB upload, worlds quicker than my landbased homeconnection for the PC, lol.
you can use such smartphone as a router, as i do often with mine when fishing with friends and customers who want to send their photos and videos "live", i use that 4G only since a few months but have to say it never let me down til now, great comfy speed, coverage everywhere where i sweep around including up to 10nmls off the coast over water.
connect such with your laptop or a PC with a wireless connection, should be sufficient for very most usages of internet based work.

Mike

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
You might also want to check with the Dominican Embassy nearest you to see if you will qualify for a residency visa.

There is some confusion about what they are giving out now - some say only folks with a secure source of $1500 a month or $200k to invest will qualify for a residency visa.

But only the Dominican Embassy will be able to tell you for certain.

They might be delighted to have you and pleased to issue you a visa --

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Hi mike

I use a cable modem in Cabarete. We have had people stay at our apartments who work all day long on the Internet. It has not been a problem for them to do their jobs. Currently I have 5 Mbits/s down and 1.25 Mbits/s up with the cable modem. Faster speeds are possible for additional money.