patching up POP

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
with the arrival of the first cruise ship schedules on the 6th of october the authorities are waking up a bit. ministerio de obras publicas has started much needed work of patching up holes and cleaning the gutters.

http://www.citysantiago.com/2015/09...ento-vial-provincia-puerto-plata#.VgtCDxFViko
http://www.listindiario.com/la-republica/2015/09/30/390181/ministro-supervisa-ejecucion-de-obras
http://www.puertoplatadigital.com/verNoticia.aspx?Id=19961
http://www.diariolibre.com/economia...a-rd-3-mil-millones-en-puerto-plata-GE1402329

next thing you know the'll be painting grass green.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I am glad that the Government is doing their part to make this port a great success. I see in the Carnival brochure that cruisers are scheduled to come here from at lest 4 different starting ports .

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i was just in the city and i am ready to puke. not, it's not the vomit inducing qualities of novia del atlantico (or a lack of thereof). it's because driving through POP is an absolute nightmare. part of the city centre are closed, they changed directions on some of the one way streets, MOPC is ripping apart the road on one corner and patching it up on the other, parts of manolo tavarez justo are reduced to one line because they are cleaning and paining and whatnot. whoa.

on a positive note, i was out and about with another gringa and we saw more cops and cestur. what's more important cestur actually stopped the traffic so that we could safely cross the street. very polite, very helpful.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Only a few days left to tear up the roads in anticipation of the great North Coast tourist salvation.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Ten years visiting and three living here and my opinion Dominicans just have a different way of doing things. When all is said and done it works. A year from now all the cruise port naysayers will be silent and dv8 will be reporting Carnaval is adding another 4 cruise ships per month.

fifilein

Mar 24, 2011
Dominicans just have a different way of doing things. When all is said and done it works.

different yes, working, not sure.

they recently filled a huge hole at the corner pedro clisante / anna maria. unfortunately they only filled it half way. so still not fixed and still dangerous.

maybe that is just the exception and a bad example, the road sosua-cabarete would tell otherwise tough.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My friend is a builder in Vermont.
He has just finished building a house on the north coast.

I asked him how the RD workmanship/tactics compared to his operation in Vermont.

Well, he said, it's a different technique for certain, but the results are good.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
......I asked him how the RD workmanship/tactics compared to his operation in Vermont........

Like most things WW, all depends on who you hire. I have seen some stuff here that has me shaking my head and I have seen some quality craftsmanship.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
different yes, working, not sure.

they recently filled a huge hole at the corner pedro clisante / anna maria. unfortunately they only filled it half way. so still not fixed and still dangerous.

maybe that is just the exception and a bad example, the road sosua-cabarete would tell otherwise tough.

It will get completed on Dominican time which is their way of doing things. I have seen potholes in the sidewalks of Gazcue, SD the size of a crater. Stick a large tree limb standing upright in the hole so people know the pothole is there,,,,,and,,,,,,,,,Bingo, it is fixed.

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
@ bigbird

Definitely..... he used my builder here on the north coast..... a good builder.

My other friend , a large scale builder/engineer, says the Dominicans are great until the end .
That last 5-10% seems to be impossible for them - the finishing details.

It's all a matter of getting used to life in RD, I guess

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
My friend is a builder in Vermont.
He has just finished building a house on the north coast.

I asked him how the RD workmanship/tactics compared to his operation in Vermont.

Well, he said, it's a different technique for certain, but the results are good.

Our son-in-law is in construction, mostly commercial work [schools, hospitals, theaters, etc.], but he does fine carpentry too. They were visiting us a couple of years ago when we were having our block wall extended, and the kitchen expanded about 15'. All the blocks, sand, gravel, rebar, cement, etc., were delivered. The crew showed up, and he sat there mesmerized when he realized there was no big cement mixer on the way. He just shook his head when they started hand mixing the cement mix by eye. He didn't move for a long time, watching the maestro working on the wall [at the beginning I remember him commenting that he was relieved the guy actually had a level, haha]. I know he was dying to ask them questions, but doesn't speak any Spanish, so he just watched.

He, too, ended up with a lot of respect for the ragtag looking, motley crew and the job they did.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i've been without kitchen two months now. it's been a major fcuk up all the way. so i dare say i am ready to strangle dominican artisans to the 7th generation.

back on topic: the roadworks in POP will not withstand a test of time. you cannot put a new surface in 15 minutes and expect it will last. buy you know, first impression is made. further than this? in the hands of dios.