Hola Amigos! BSC Banking help required!

RooSter666

Nov 3, 2015
Hi guys
I live with my wife in the UK and we own a villa in Sosua which we have been renting out for several years.
We hoped to move to the DR, but sadly our current finances prevent us from doing so.

This leads me onto my desperate request for help ...

We opened a bank account with Banco Santa Cruz in Sosua, to pay in the rent money.
I can see our account via BANCANET, the English translation on the site is kind of ok (we don't speak Spanish).

However I would like to transfer some of this money back to the UK, but I can not work out how to do it
or if it is even possible! I tried emailing the bank for help and they responded in a couple of days but
misunderstood my question assuming I wanted to transfer money into their bank, and now after sending
several emails back re-explaining what I actually need to do, I have no more responses from them in 2 weeks :(

If you have experience with this bank and transferring funds back to the UK, then it would be great to hear
from you and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance!
Roo

rosabblanco

Jul 8, 2010
I suggest that you personally call the bank and speak to a representative.they'll give you instructions on how to do it. Remember You are trying to withdraw money out their bank...they're going to try to delay it.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
No bank in the world will authorize an outgoing wire in response to just someone calling in and claiming to be an account holder, and who can't even speak their language. Buy a plane ticket and show up in the bank in person to get your money, and then establish some sort of procedure going forward (possibly involving a local).

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
No bank in the world will authorize an outgoing wire in response to just someone calling in and claiming to be an account holder, and who can't even speak their language. Buy a plane ticket and show up in the bank in person to get your money, and then establish some sort of procedure going forward (possibly involving a local).

Totally agree, you have to come in person and talk with you banking account agent in person, tell him you want transfer part of the money back to UK, and also you want to find out a way that you make possible to transfer money from your Dominican account to your UK Account without buying a plane ticket to do that here.

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
A bank account can become "deactivated" due to lack of deposits or withdrawals. It is still open, but you cannot conduct normal banking transactions until you visit the bank. We had an illness in the family three years ago, didn't visit the DR for a three month time period and had to physically go to the bank to reactivate. You better believe I took TWO lollipops off the counter that day!!

RooSter666

Nov 3, 2015
Hey thanks for all your responses.

So it's interesting to hear (thanks rubio_higuey) that you can not actually use BANCANET to make a transfer, that is useful information as it explains why I can not work out how to do it!!

I can't believe that buying a plane ticket is my only option, this is not what I want to hear especially when funds are so tight in the first place - ouch!

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
Perhaps a reputable lawyer can help you. You probably dealt with one of the 2 main Sosua law firms when you purchased your house.

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
Hey thanks for all your responses.

So it's interesting to hear (thanks rubio_higuey) that you can not actually use BANCANET to make a transfer, that is useful information as it explains why I can not work out how to do it!!

I can't believe that buying a plane ticket is my only option, this is not what I want to hear especially when funds are so tight in the first place - ouch!

You can construct and assign a durable power of attorney, but that opens up a whole new can of worms. Before the negatoids attack me, I love worms!!

cndeh

Jul 23, 2012
Banco Santa Cruz is in the process of updating their BancaNet system. All customers are required to physically go to their home branch to sign up for the new system. After November 20th you will not have access to your account via the old BancaNet. The process takes 5 minutes to get signed up.

The new BancaNet url is:
https://www.bancanetbsc.do

Once you are on the new system you can request outgoing wire transfers via their new token system but until then you are out of luck.

RooSter666

Nov 3, 2015
A new BANCANET system sounds fantastic, an upgrade is long overdue ...
but I am quite scared about not having access to my account anymore on the old system!?!!!

What is their new token system, how does it work?

RooSter666

Nov 3, 2015
Involving lawyers and setting up powers of attorney all sounds expensive,
does anyone have experience relating to transferring money out of the DR and any indication of costs involved?

cndeh

Jul 23, 2012
A new BANCANET system sounds fantastic, an upgrade is long overdue ...
but I am quite scared about not having access to my account anymore on the old system!?!!!

What is their new token system, how does it work?

Here is the manual, it's in Spanish. Once you are inside your account you can change it to English but I am not sure if they have English documentation.

http://www.bsc.com.do/uploads/documents/general/MANUAL DE USUARIO BANCANET.pdf

The rest of the docs are here

http://www.bsc.com.do/index.php?page=Documentos-Bancanet

Pansy

Banned
Apr 14, 2009
Banco Santa Cruz is in the process of updating their BancaNet system. All customers are required to physically go to their home branch to sign up for the new system. After November 20th you will not have access to your account via the old BancaNet. The process takes 5 minutes to get signed up.

The new BancaNet url is:
https://www.bancanetbsc.do

Once you are on the new system you can request outgoing wire transfers via their new token system but until then you are out of luck.

We were in Banco Santa Cruz this morning trying to arrange a direct debit from a peso account to the government TSS fund. We were told we would have to "upgrade" to the new BancaNet account. With the help of Carlos (the manager's) principal assistant it took the best part of half an hour and involved 4 failed attempts. We still don't have the account as we have to wait for a 'phone call to tell them how we wish to receive the randomly generated number each time we wish to generate a transfer (an app. seems the easiest).

It seems difficult to believe all customers will have migrated to the new account by the end of the year - but what do I know!

RooSter666

Nov 3, 2015

RooSter666

Nov 3, 2015
We were in Banco Santa Cruz this morning trying to arrange a direct debit from a peso account to the government TSS fund. We were told we would have to "upgrade" to the new BancaNet account. With the help of Carlos (the manager's) principal assistant it took the best part of half an hour and involved 4 failed attempts. We still don't have the account as we have to wait for a 'phone call to tell them how we wish to receive the randomly generated number each time we wish to generate a transfer (an app. seems the easiest).

It seems difficult to believe all customers will have migrated to the new account by the end of the year - but what do I know!

Wow it sounds like even a trip to the DR might not solve my transfer problem!!
I am starting to wonder now if anyone has managed to transfer money out of the DR :/

cndeh

Jul 23, 2012
The token is an easy thing. It is VIP access by Symantic. It is easily downloadable to any mobile device or desktop. Once you install it to your device of choice you the application show you your unique ID. It is that ID you give to the bank employee and they associate that with your account. It is just like those FOB tokens you get at other banks like Popular, just a different format that saves the bank the expense of issuing everyone a physical token.

https://m.vip.symantec.com/home.v

I did mine today as well and my bank rep was pretty knowledgeable of the system and I was in and out in less than 5 minutes.

RooSter666

Nov 3, 2015
The token is an easy thing. It is VIP access by Symantic. It is easily downloadable to any mobile device or desktop. Once you install it to your device of choice you the application show you your unique ID. It is that ID you give to the bank employee and they associate that with your account. It is just like those FOB tokens you get at other banks like Popular, just a different format that saves the bank the expense of issuing everyone a physical token.

https://m.vip.symantec.com/home.v

I did mine today as well and my bank rep was pretty knowledgeable of the system and I was in and out in less than 5 minutes.

This sounds great, but I am guessing you have to physically go into the bank to sort this out?