Two spotted Eagle Rays in Sosua bay

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I went snorkling yesterday at the Sosua beach, as usual swam to the center and did a little circle around the coral in the center and back. On the way back, close to the shore, saw two small spotted Eagle Rays, about 1 meter in diameters. (Called "Chucho Pintado" in Spanish.)

Quite spectacular with their little heads, and the way they move slowly. As always when I see something interesting I don't have my waterproof camera with me, but they were like these:

http://reefguide.org/carib/eagleray.html

Quite shy really they went away slowly but I had a good look. I think because it was very quite at the beach yeaterday they came so close. The first time I have seen these here, if you come across them don't get too close, the end of the (almost two meters long) tail can be dangerous but they are really harmless and very beautiful.

I just hope their nasty predator sharks (that sometime attack these) don't follow them here.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
you do not worry about bring run over by a boat? I like to swim out there also and have seen some surprising fish. The outboard boats zipping around the bay make me very nervous. Oops, what was that bump?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
looks like it was an amazing encounter. i agree with zoom in terms of boat traffic, you are brave :)

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
Snorkling and diving in the Sosua bay isn't bad. And the diving centers there do their best to preserve it.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Pregunta: I do not have my own snorkel gear. Not yet. I am good friends with Northern Coast Diving. If I want to rent snorkel stuff, shall I do it from them, or from Pablo at the beach? Just for the afternoon. I would LURVE to explore the local reef. I am a good swimmer with no fear of deep water. Recommendations?

Chuck Riley.

Oct 23, 2011
Pregunta: I do not have my own snorkel gear. Not yet. I am good friends with Northern Coast Diving. If I want to rent snorkel stuff, shall I do it from them, or from Pablo at the beach? Just for the afternoon. I would LURVE to explore the local reef. I am a good swimmer with no fear of deep water. Recommendations?

if you make the trip to the reef at dreams la Romana or even to paradise island you can see some decent reef and fish. Sousa bay is OK. That's about it.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
No, no: I have done CayoArena. I'm just talking about swimmmmmmmming around Sosua.

May 29, 2006
They slumber during the day and will try to cover themselves with sand. Then they'll take off if they detect you getting too close to them. I love the markings that look like chalk circles on a blackboard.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010

Either is good. Just ask Mike or Pablo.The stuff they rent on the beach is pretty basic but these guys have good stuff.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
They have supposedly put some white float/balls on the water indicating where the small boats can come and go, need to avoid that area (basically beginning and end of the beach). I recommend walking to the middle of the beach and then get into the water, swim straight up to the coral and then go around it, then come back the same way (as long as you are near corals you are safe from boats).

It was a lot worse some 7/8 years ago, they used to zip across the bay and that was really dangerous. I also see more and more big boats now come and anchor offshore a bit further out (presumably there is no law or charge !?), although it is a pretty sight I wonder how much oil and gas they emit to the water, this is a small bay where there is no water current and lots of boats, small or big, can add pollution to the water. Unfortunately I don't think anyone is really worried about this type of issues, they have a lot more serious concern here in Sosua - chicas !? (while undoubtedly the beach is one of the town's biggest assets.)

The Sosua bay coral is really mostly dead, it has been ever since I visited some 10 years ago, but still you get to see some interesting fish. Good news is I have seen some greenshoots (so to speak) of brand new living corals coming out just this last few months - so fingures crossed.

One more thing, I would ask to please not to touch or stand on corals, I don't expect much from Dominicans (they need to be educated) but when I see a tourist does that, I get really mad. Although mostly dead any chance of a recovery will be ruined ... !?

Happy snorkling....

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
on my one and only dive ever we went to sosua bay but kinda away from the beach. maybe 5 meters of water? back then i could not even swim well but i wanted to challenge my fear of water. i saw few of those long fish that stay in holes in the coral, forgot what they are called. cute. i also saw a distant shape of a fish that was roughly my size but i decided not to look closely. i wish i could do it again...

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
The one in a hole is a murane. Usually they are small, but last month I saw a big green one in Sosua bay. Don't give them you finger !