If you were President?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I'll start this hypothetical question for the residents on this forum:

The constitution has been changed to allow foreigners to be elected for President. Let's say by a miracle you were able to counter all the corruption and your manifesto convinced enough citizens to vote for you. What would you reform?

For example in my opinion, I think customs should be abolished. I doubt very much the taxes gained on imports make a sufficient contribution to this country's economy. This would then force the retailers to be more competitive in prices and quality.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I believe that a govt and a society that works for the people will allow for progressive advancement over time.

The first thing I would do is make the judiciary independent of political influence and make it the law that public graft and corruption is punishable by a week in the stocks in a central square in SD followed by a decent stint in the stockade.

Then I'd work on driver education, fines and certainty of punishment. Next would a split focus to improve general education for the children and adults alike as well as improved medical care.

I'd followup with improving the countries necessary infrastructure, water, power and roadways.

Right about now or long before, I'd be assassinated...

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
I think #1 on my agenda would also be the cleaning up the judiciary and its legendary graft & corruption. #2 would be streamlining the residency process. #3 would be mandatory drivers licenses for all motos and passola drivers. If after these were enacted, I was still alive I would expand solar power projects and a desalinization plant on both coasts.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I would do pretty much what Cdn Gringo said in the above post. Then I would start the imigration clean up of hatians and criminals. If any of the other Caribbean countries squawked at this I would nuke them off the map. You know cause I would be president and all.
My last contribution before I was imprisoned or assassinated would be to get Donald Trump a nice haircut

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I would improve the public hospitals giving them the equipment they needed and increasing doctors' salaries so that decent quality doctors worked there. I would also abolish the practice of insisting everyone needed blood for any operation and when it isn't used (which it rarely is), they never get their RD$2,500 a pint back. I would also set up a national blood donation system to save the ridiculous shortages there always are.

Improve teacher education and change the national curriculum so that the students learn far more than at present together with useful things such as how to read a map and tell the time from an analogue clock. I would also teach them basic medical information such as taking one antibiotic does you no good at all and if a woman touches a fruit tree while having her monthly cycle the tree will not die.

I would aim to improve the national diet with easier and cheaper access to a wider range of fruit and vegetables and have a national campaign to say too much oil, salt and sugar is bad for you. I would also improve diabetic education and information.

I would introduce a new law to make it illegal to be a sanky and all women who had been scammed out of money or for a visa would have a legal recourse through the courts to get their money back, and the crime of being a sanky would be punishable by long jail terms and heavy fines, which would probably be sufficient to pay off the National Debt.

Matilda

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Matilda for President 2020!

Seriously though, we are lucky to have her input here, not only has she been married to a Dominican and living in DR 10+ years, they've been imbedded in the Dominican political system for a long time. And lived to tell about it.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I was just wondering whether we could post in this new forum? I guess we can.

Super mods can post in every forum, that's why you have posting access.
As this is residents only, you will not be allowed to make any future posts in this forum, for any reason.

Thanks.

Carry on with discussion....

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Matilda for President and Cdn Gringo as her 2nd.
myself I would not like to be President,
I would prefer if the Presi Lady could put me in charge of enforcing the above mentioned "new Ways" of DR Life.
hey,
for a starter,
i would happily be for a few months a federal Aguacil just here in the PC/Bavaro area.
i guarantee those streets would never be the same,
cleaning 'em up from fidiot drivers on 2 and 4 wheels.
as working tools i would just need a Big Pick Up Truck which doesn't get damaged on small "hits"
and a collection of fine shotguns with unlimited ammunitions.
not to shoot humans, nope,
but to stop the vehicles of stu humans who decide not to stop when the Sheriff give's 'em a stop sign.
great to see i can post here,
i like the idea of this sub Forum.

Mike

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
If I was president, I think I'd like to decentralize some necessary govt services and bring them to large population centres of say over a million residents. I think a multi-hour one way trip to submit a document should be reduced and eliminated where possible and feasible.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Stop the failed war on drugs

Personally I would not waste my time. But if I for some reason were to waste my time, I would legalize, regulate and tax currently illegal drugs. That would get rid of the almost monthly articles about the head of the police being replaced because he was involved in drug smuggling. by another man who will supposedly do a better job.

Of course the rate of tower construction would diminish greatly.

Much of the world's corruption is funded by the failed war on drugs.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I rarely agreed with Cobraboy, but in a previous thread on similar lines he said he would ban styrofoam.