Certified court recorder

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I am a witness in a legal dispute in the USA and have the option to be deposed here via preferably sat?lite feedor some type of of clear reliable video conference. Whats required beyond the conference technology is a certified court recorder to transcribe the deposition.

Any recommendations, I am in SD.

Eleutheria

Jun 23, 2015
Might be easier to contract a court recorder from the USA and do a 3 way video conference call. I don't think you will have much luck finding an English speaking, certified court recorder in the DR.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Might be easier to contract a court recorder from the USA and do a 3 way video conference call. I don't think you will have much luck finding an English speaking, certified court recorder in the DR.
That doesnt work as the recorder must be physically present beside the person being deposed.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I am a witness in a legal dispute in the USA and have the option to be deposed here via preferably sat?lite feedor some type of of clear reliable video conference. Whats required beyond the conference technology is a certified court recorder to transcribe the deposition.

If its an important trial they should be offer to fly you return plus paypfor your accommodation and meals. A free trip back to the US could be fun

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I know this is a DR site, and common sense is a little weak in the DR, but yes, I have considered all options prior to my post

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
If its an important trial they should be offer to fly you return plus paypfor your accommodation and meals. A free trip back to the US could be fun

Exactly!! Let them worry about the court recorder as well. To melphis' point, this may be the odd occurrence in which a few drinks actually "improve" your memory.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Exactly!! Let them worry about the court recorder as well. To melphis' point, this may be the odd occurrence in which a few drinks actually "improve" your memory.

Read my post above please, I am looking for this in the DR not USA. Do I really need to waste multiple posts explaining why?

Appreciate if anyone has any DR suggestions!

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
Our posts were simultaneous, so I had no way of seeing it. I was only offering assistance. Smile.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Long shot maybe but could the US Embassy possibly have some recommendations for you. They may have some knowledge of this type of service you need. Again a long shot but it may be worth a try.

Jan 9, 2004

It all depends on the jurisdiction as to how video depositions are conducted.

As the deponent, your only obligation would be to appear and give testimony.

Whether a court reporter is required/needed is the problem of the side wishing to take the deposition.

They may ask you to find a court reporter, but you are under no obligation, in any jurisdiction that I am aware of, to actually dodo.

As long as you agree to de deposed or have otherwise been properly served, they should a either fly you to the deposition and pay costs, or conduct the deposition here......and it is not your responsibility to find a court reporter/stenographer. Further, I am not sure why they need a court reporter to transcribe.....but again it may be a jurisdictional issue, or a language issue, or.....

The videotape is a far better tool than a transcribed deposition.....even court reporters make mistakes.....and too many deponents fail to read the document and make corrections....before signing. It as sworn testimony.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
I know this is a DR site, and common sense is a little weak in the DR, but yes, I have considered all options prior to my post

People were trying to be helpful slim, .......sure you will be a great witness

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
People were trying to be helpful slim, .......sure you will be a great witness
As a longtimer here , i think we both know these threads can go sideways very quickly with opinions/assumptions etc. Rather than address the OP original questions. Sometimes better to remind/set the rules before it gets out of hand. Makes sense Flaco?
I do however appreciate the responses as some were quite informative!

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
PC2 is completely correct. I've no idea why it appears you've been given the responsibility of putting together the depo, but you're under no obligation to.

They can either fly to you, or fly you to them (or some mutually agreeable spot). What they can't do is force you to hunt down some english speaking court reporter and a venue.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
There is no such thing as a court recorder in the Dominican Republic. Court clerks record the testimony of witnesses at trials, but they do not and are not legally able to record testimony out of court.
Depositions do not exist under the Dominican Code of Civil Procedure.
Your best bet would be a notary, who can legally attest to whatever is done or said in his/her presence.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
There is no such thing as a court recorder in the Dominican Republic. Court clerks record the testimony of witnesses at trials, but they do not and are not legally able to record testimony out of court.
Depositions do not exist under the Dominican Code of Civil Procedure.
Your best bet would be a notary, who can legally attest to whatever is done or said in his/her presence.

Thats clear, thanks!

larrydriver

Dec 2, 2015
It all depends on the jurisdiction as to how video depositions are conducted.

As the deponent, your only obligation would be to appear and give testimony.

Whether a court reporter is required/needed is the problem of the side wishing to take the deposition.

They may ask you to find a court reporter, but you are under no obligation, in any jurisdiction that I am aware of, to actually dodo.

As long as you agree to de deposed or have otherwise been properly served, they should a either fly you to the deposition and pay costs, or conduct the deposition here......and it is not your responsibility to find a court reporter/stenographer. Further, I am not sure why they need a court reporter to transcribe.....but again it may be a jurisdictional issue, or a language issue, or.....

The videotape is a far better tool than a transcribed deposition.....even court reporters make mistakes.....and too many deponents fail to read the document and make corrections....before signing. It as sworn testimony.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

I have a bit contradictory thoughts. There is a lot of importance of court reporter in court. You can't compare it tape recorder. Court reporters plays other roles during a courtroom proceeding, as well.

For example, they might do research regarding items entered into the court record or aid in other ways. The same types of technology are used for closed captioning of live television, for example.

A court reporter may also help provide transcriptions for church services, public events, seminars, and other events. The advent of court reporting has proven extremely useful to the judiciary system.With a skilled court reporter at a court hearing, no word or gesture need ever be missed.

The transcripts recorded by court recorders have proven invaluable to judges and attorneys alike, allowing them essentially relive the trial as it happened to better their understanding of it.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I totaly agree with Fabio Guzman ,if this is ,indeed the course you want to take . However you must have the process to do this which may be set down by the court in the USA . The court , for example , may insist, that you have two people present when you make your desposition or they may even have a special form . When you use the notary , you will obviously need a stenographer to record your statement that you made and you must then read it and agree that it is indeed what you said ,so that stenographer will have to be english speaking ...easy to find translation services at the back of the Palacio de Justicio but not so easy to find a good english speaking stenographer.