This happens quite often in the DR

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
He says $15,000 dollars in the video and $195 (I think) for the fee.
We all know it was pesos and not dollars so did he really give the guy $30 US dollars or $30 pesos RD?
In any case it's wrong. I don't see why he gave the cop the money. He's just making it worse for other
tourists who will get shaken down as well.
I would have probably said "disculpa hermano pero blah blah blah".
Vividores!

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
He says $15,000 dollars in the video and $195 (I think) for the fee.
We all know it was pesos and not dollars so did he really give the guy $30 US dollars or $30 pesos RD?
In any case it's wrong. I don't see why he gave the cop the money. He's just making it worse for other
tourists who will get shaken down as well.
I would have probably said "disculpa hermano pero blah blah blah".
Vividores!

Since it appears he is pulling out $10.00 notes and here $10. pesos doesn't exist in the paper form I assume it was U.S. $$$'s. $30.00??? crazy.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Been in similar situation but in daylight. I refused to give them anything. After about 5 minutes and several threats from them the boss shocck my hand, could now speak English and sent me on my way.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i've been here over 9 years and never been asked for money by cops. maybe i have a face of a french bulldog licking sour p*ss off dried thistle or exude friendliness of a viper hiding in a pile of human skulls, i don't know.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
I had them ask me one time for a birthday present for his colleague. Asked him where the party was so I'd drop by, told him also to have a lot of food and booze because I was hungry and thirsty. They let me go right away

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I know that a$$hole of a police officer. When I was still living in Bavaro he tried several times to get money from me, coming up with different stories. He even gave me his phone number in case I would have problems not without asking for 2000 pesos.

Every time when he saw me driving, he came along. In the car wash etc.

Nothing of that is accelerated. I hope this was his last act.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Stupid tourists !! What idiot would go ride at night and then wonder he got into troubles ??? Like I said, IDIOTS...

IEatTravelnCode

Oct 29, 2014
I give about 20 or 30 pesos to beggars, whether they have a uniform on or rags. If he really gave the cop $30.00 he should be ashamed. Instead of bragging about it. I remember one cop asking for money for gas and I offered him 17 pesos and he dumped it back in my hand with a "No!" I have heard this before about Dominican police have to buy their own gas, but do not believe it. Not even when I read it here on DR1!

Police get free gas, they just sell it cheaper to people, to have some extra pesos, and when the Comandante comes and the guagua has no gas for them to pick the tolls from the dealers, they have to ask for money, to put gas on it.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
i've been here over 9 years and never been asked for money by cops. maybe i have a face of a french bulldog licking sour p*ss off dried thistle or exude friendliness of a viper hiding in a pile of human skulls, i don't know.

Maybe they leave foreign women alone? I've never been asked before either.

They usually leave Mr. AE alone too, he has a very stern demeanor, and they usually think he's military. The last guy who stopped us actually hesitated before speaking when he opened the car window - and his first words were 'Are you military'. A grouchy "no", and the brave soul went on to ask for money for breakfast.

curlando

Bronze
Jul 23, 2003
Most individuals posting on DR 1 especially the residents of the Dominican Republic have a story or two to tell about police asking for ask for cash or police corruption.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Stupid tourists !! What idiot would go ride at night and then wonder he got into troubles ??? Like I said, IDIOTS...

What's so stupid about going for a ride at night (apart from the crazy drivers)? Are you saying we should all lock ourselves in our fortified home every night?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
maybe, AE, but miesposo drives here daily, travels frequently all over DR and he is barely ever stopped at checkpoints and no one asks him for cash either. and he is so white he's normally taken for a foreigner.

my theory is that some folks have cara de pendejo, so to speak. cops know who to ask. and they remember faces and cars so once you give they will stop you again and again.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
What's so stupid about going for a ride at night (apart from the crazy drivers)? Are you saying we should all lock ourselves in our fortified home every night?

Tourists I said... When you live here, you know the rules and what/where to avoid...

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014

As in so not!

But I get your point. Why should one be afraid to go out and enjoy the country? Otherwise, what's the MF point? I am never bothered. You stake your claim as a resident. You know the rules. And you drive. And walk. And----damn!

Sheesh.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I have paid 200 pesos to these Muppets twice since living on the island. Not out of fear. Both times I was in a hurry
and didn?t have the time to sit going back and forth.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
When I received my Marbete by delivery at home I had to give the courier a copy of my Matricula. I gave him the one I had in my car and I forgot to replace it.

Yesterday we toured Samana and were stopped buy a combined AMET/PN/Military control they did for traffic from both directions (Xmas is ahead, they need their money ;)). There were at least a dozen uniformed.

Well, they asked for papers which I all had besides my matricula. Errm. I explained, PN went to the AMET official on the other side of the road and let me wait for 20 minutes probably to check the rest of my papers.

They came back to the car and I explained to the AMET captain what happened to my matricula. He actually believed me and agreed to just give me a Multa and not confiscate my car what the law would be in that case (?). AMET told me that is what he can do for me but he do not know what his PN comrad will do with us about the case. Aha...

OK. My patience was over at that moment and I said to my better half: "Llama tio" who is a Colonel in the Dominican Army. GF handed my phone over to the AMET captain and he had a small conversation, came back after a minute, gave me my papers and phone and wished us a nice trip. NO multa NADA.

Mind you,I was at fault and I admitted it and I was prepared to at least pay the fine. So good to have connections. First time that I saw it in action and how did it work. :) Still can't believe it. While we moved on I saw AMET in the back mirror explaining to PN guy why he did let us go...

We made it on time for fresh fish at Cecilia's place on Playa Rincon... :D

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
I was at fault and I admitted it and I was prepared to at least pay the fine.

First of all, you don't pay the fine to them, they can give you a ticket and you pay it at BanReservas.

If you don't agree with the fine, you can go to the Centro de Atenci?n Ciudadana and say that they gave you the ticket without a reason.