Tourists coming to the DR make sure you have insurance

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
British holidaymaker stranded in the Caribbean until he pays ?45,000 hospital bill after failing to declare a pre-existing medical condition to his insurance company
Allan Cox, 45, needed emergency surgery to remove his pancreas
He was visiting his wife Laisas who lives in the Caribbean country
Insurance won't pay out as he did not disclose pre-existing condition
The church-goer was scheduled to have gallbladder surgery in the UK

Allan Cox needed emergency surgery while on holiday in the Dominican Republic
A British holidaymaker is stranded on a Caribbean island until he pays a ?45,000 hospital bill.
Allan Cox, 45, fell ill while in the Dominican Republic and needed emergency surgery to remove his pancreas.
But his insurance company has refused to foot the ?45,000 bill for his care because he did not declare a previous medical condition.
His passport was seized by officials and won't be handed back until the treatment bill is paid.
Friends and family have now started a fundraising campaign in a bid to bring him home to Port Talbot, South Wales.
'We are incredibly concerned for Allan's well-being at the moment,' his friend, Raymond Davies said.
'At the end of the day, Allan's life is at risk, and we need to make sure we get him home, pay off his debts and get him some medical treatment as soon as possible.
'The hospital want to discharge him on next Tuesday, but they say they are keeping his passport until he is able to pay for the treatment he has received.
'How on earth is he expected to get home? It's disgusting.
'He is seriously ill, and we need as much support as we can get before it is too late.'
Mr Cox was in the Dominican Republic to visit his wife Laisas who lives in the country but fell ill while abroad when gall stones became trapped in his pancreas.
He and Mrs Cox married last year after meeting online through a Christian dating service and he was in the Caribbean country to celebrate their first anniversary as husband and wife.

His mother Ceinwen Cox, 65, said she was worried about her son's health.
'We thought that we could sort out the rest of the payments to the hospital when we got him home but we can't,' she said.
'It has got to be paid before they release his passport to him and there's no way that I can get the money quick enough to get my son home and I'm frightened that I'm going to lose him.'

His insurance company refused to pay for the costs as he failed to disclose he had a 'pre-existing condition' and was already due to have an operation on his gall bladder.
It has got to be paid before they release his passport to him and there's no way that I can get the money quick enough to get my son home and I'm frightened that I'm going to lose him.
Ceinwen Cox, 65,
Allan's MP Stephen Kinnock said: 'This is obviously a very difficult situation for Mr Cox and his family.
'I have written to the Foreign Secretary urging that all possible assistance and advice is given to my constituents to support them in this distressing time.
'I hope that a satisfactory conclusion can be found, and that Mr Cox can be brought home to continue his recovery.'
A spokeswoman for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office said: 'We have offered assistance to a British national who is hospitalised in La Romana, Dominican Republic and are in regular contact with their family to provide support.
'We understand the difficulties in these cases and are ready to assist in any way we can.
'However, we are unable to provide financial assistance to British nationals overseas, including for medical bills.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...existing-medical-condition.html#ixzz3uPdRLbdA
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
This doesn't add up. How can a private for profit company take someones passport, I mean officially.

Why can't he just go to the embassy and get a replacement passport.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
This doesn't add up. How can a private for profit company take someones passport, I mean officially.

Why can't he just go to the embassy and get a replacement passport.

I doubt that the man is in a condition to walk over to the embassy...

Besides that they might have requested an "Impedimento de Salida" until the bill is paid.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Tourists coming to the DR make sure you have ...... COMMON SENSE

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
This happened to me. My wife put $500 down and gave them her passport. After she realized she was in the wrong place to get competent medical care, she left AMA. The bill was $1,200 by that point. They kept her passport and she walked out. Now, we went back and paid it, but there was absolutelty nothing stopping us from heading to the consulate and getting a new passport.

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
It all comes back to the fact that he lied to get his insurance, and now the family is upset with the facility. I don't blame them, they need to get paid for their services. Its so tiring always seeing people blaming everyone but themselves for the consequences of their poor choices

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It all comes back to the fact that he lied to get his insurance, and now the family is upset with the facility. I don't blame them, they need to get paid for their services. Its so tiring always seeing people blaming everyone but themselves for the consequences of their poor choices

You bet he lied... had scheduled surgery but didn't disclose.
In all cases he is SOL.... nobody will pay... he's on his own

I know for a fact...
I switched companies & they 'pre-existed' me on two pre-basal cancer removals...
disqualified me for all future skin care

My dermatologist said it was ridiculous...

Guess what?
I had two more removals this week.... 1 melanoma, 1 basal cell

These companies know what they're doing.... they don't miss often.

This man is toast...........

and yes, he did not disclose.......... lied, covered up.... call it what you will

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
You bet he lied... had scheduled surgery but didn't disclose.
In all cases he is SOL.... nobody will pay... he's on his own

I know for a fact...
I switched companies & they 'pre-existed' me on two pre-basal cancer removals...
disqualified me for all future skin care

My dermatologist said it was ridiculous...

Guess what?
I had two more removals this week.... 1 melanoma, 1 basal cell

These companies know what they're doing.... they don't miss often.

This man is toast...........

and yes, he did not disclose.......... lied, covered up.... call it what you will

besides, WW, from all appearances the insurance company is in his country of origin. it is not as if a Dominican carrier is giving him the shaft. the local medical guys want their corn, and they are ruthless. they are not going to take you to Judge Judy. they play hardball.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Right, he had no right to apply here...

waaaay out of his territory.... even if he was insured....

need permission for out of country procedures - normally

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
British holidaymaker stranded in the Caribbean until he pays ?45,000 hospital bill after failing to declare a pre-existing medical condition to his insurance company
Allan Cox, 45, needed emergency surgery to remove his pancreas
He was visiting his wife Laisas who lives in the Caribbean country
Insurance won't pay out as he did not disclose pre-existing condition
The church-goer was scheduled to have gallbladder surgery in the UK

A British holidaymaker is stranded on a Caribbean island until he pays a ?45,000 hospital bill.
Allan Cox, 45, fell ill while in the Dominican Republic and needed emergency surgery to remove his pancreas.
But his insurance company has refused to foot the ?45,000 bill for his care because he did not declare a previous medical condition.
His passport was seized by officials and won't be handed back until the treatment bill is paid.
Friends and family have now started a fundraising campaign in a bid to bring him home to Port Talbot, South Wales.
'We are incredibly concerned for Allan's well-being at the moment,' his friend, Raymond Davies said.
'At the end of the day, Allan's life is at risk, and we need to make sure we get him home, pay off his debts and get him some medical treatment as soon as possible.
'The hospital want to discharge him on next Tuesday, but they say they are keeping his passport until he is able to pay for the treatment he has received.
'How on earth is he expected to get home? It's disgusting.
'He is seriously ill, and we need as much support as we can get before it is too late.'
Mr Cox was in the Dominican Republic to visit his wife Laisas who lives in the country but fell ill while abroad when gall stones became trapped in his pancreas.
He and Mrs Cox married last year after meeting online through a Christian dating service and he was in the Caribbean country to celebrate their first anniversary as husband and wife.

His mother Ceinwen Cox, 65, said she was worried about her son's health.
'We thought that we could sort out the rest of the payments to the hospital when we got him home but we can't,' she said.
'It has got to be paid before they release his passport to him and there's no way that I can get the money quick enough to get my son home and I'm frightened that I'm going to lose him.'

His insurance company refused to pay for the costs as he failed to disclose he had a 'pre-existing condition' and was already due to have an operation on his gall bladder.
It has got to be paid before they release his passport to him and there's no way that I can get the money quick enough to get my son home and I'm frightened that I'm going to lose him.
Ceinwen Cox, 65,
Allan's MP Stephen Kinnock said: 'This is obviously a very difficult situation for Mr Cox and his family.
'I have written to the Foreign Secretary urging that all possible assistance and advice is given to my constituents to support them in this distressing time.
'I hope that a satisfactory conclusion can be found, and that Mr Cox can be brought home to continue his recovery.'
A spokeswoman for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office said: 'We have offered assistance to a British national who is hospitalised in La Romana, Dominican Republic and are in regular contact with their family to provide support.
'We understand the difficulties in these cases and are ready to assist in any way we can.
'However, we are unable to provide financial assistance to British nationals overseas, including for medical bills.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...existing-medical-condition.html#ixzz3uPdRLbdA
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

He will be dead in a few days!
If they removed his pancreas anyway!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
He was visiting his wife Laisas who lives in the Caribbean

Am I the only cynic out here ? ;) ;)

Which illustrates perfectly why my parents, both british, tell me in case of need, go to the french ( where I live/ed ), or the swiss ( cos my wife is )........

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
pancreas removal? wasn't he scheduled for gallbladder surgery? did dominican doctors dug a bit too deep into his guts or something? very strange.

also, malko, no embassy/consulate will ever foot your medical bill, you are so on your own with this.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
The price for his surgery seems high for the DR. Can anyone confirm if you have insurance with a major DR health insurance company they charge less?

I have seen high prices for gringos for x-rays and minor injuries - many times higher than what a Dominican with or without insurance would pay.

Hospital stays for Dominicans are relatively inexpensive. Don't know about surgeries.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The price for his surgery seems high for the DR. Can anyone confirm if you have insurance with a major DR health insurance company they charge less?

I have seen high prices for gringos for x-rays and minor injuries - many times higher than what a Dominican with or without insurance would pay.

Hospital stays for Dominicans are relatively inexpensive. Don't know about surgeries.

if you have insurance from the UK, they are going to bill you UK prices. remember where you are.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
if you have insurance from the UK, they are going to bill you UK prices. remember where you are.

Exactly what I am getting at. It seems advantageous to have DR health insurance. Especially, given its relative affordability.

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Exactly what I am getting at. It seems advantageous to have DR health insurance. Especially, given its relative affordability.

surgery prices with insurance are pretty low. but foreign tourists are charged different rate. i know of a man who needed an emergency surgery and his bill was something like 15,000 dollars. long time in UCI plus other fees and it all can add up. i think it's possible this charge could get significantly reduced if family would pay in cash. still, without pancreas, as ccccc said, his future looks bleak.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
as an example....

I had two removals from my back for biopsy study.
I have insurance but pay cash and then reclaim (saves the tax)

8,000 pesos each removal (6 stitches each) and 3,000 for the biopsies

That's an indication of price