Topographical Maps Availability

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I am about to begin what I suspect will be a journey in futility. So before I plunge headlong into my quest, maybe someone can save me some time locating what will surely be an obscure govt website if such a site exists at all.

I am looking for topo maps for the DR. Anyone ever hear of these being available?

And only because I just thought of it, how about maps that detail established ATV trails/routes?

tia.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I am about to begin what I suspect will be a journey in futility. So before I plunge headlong into my quest, maybe someone can save me some time locating what will surely be an obscure govt website if such a site exists at all.

I am looking for topo maps for the DR. Anyone ever hear of these being available?

And only because I just thought of it, how about maps that detail established ATV trails/routes?

tia.

I use Trimble Outdoor Navigator some of my ATV routes are posted on there, all on the North Coast. You can overlay topo maps. When I ride I actually use google maps saved offline while Trimble O.N. is running in background so I can see trail track later. The other day we did Cofresi - Cupey - Montellano - Jamao al Norte - Gaspar Hernandez - Cabarete - POP - Cofresi. 182km with a Sport ATV. There are nice trails in Maimon - Luperon area not sure where you would ride. Send me a PM if you want more info.

kfrancis

Jan 8, 2002
rockharddesigns.com
I have all twelve ( 12 ) topo's ( 20m elevations ) for the Serra de Baoruco's on my computer and have hand drawn them all to 100m elevations. These are also on the computer. Have a source in North Carolina that has ALL two hundred ( 200 ) of the RD grids available as paper maps and for computer downloads. $$ might have gone up but when I got mine they were $25US each.

These are a bit dated as they were made from airplane fly overs not satellite but they do show details like old trail systems of those " who came before " that I have always found interesting in my explorations of the Baoruco's. But hey, basic topo's never change just what man has done to them, right !!

Let me know if these meet your requirements and we can discuss in more detail. PM me with an email address and I will send you a copy of one of mine. Need to check my Journal for contact info...been a few years.

kFrancis de Cabral

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2014
You can talk to Kelly from the Jolly Roger as a quick reference for some spots to go, he does/has done some quadding along the North coast...

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Thanks for the link. Maps of the US $15. Maps for the DR $50. $2400 for the set. I don't need them all but the ones I need initially will set me back about $500. I am hoping there is a cheaper alternative. I don't want to buy the land, just look at a representation of it.

Joe Boots

Jun 16, 2008
Yes sorry I forgot to mention they do charge. But you must really need many of them to get to that price. That's all I have on this for now.

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Theres a place in the Feria (end of Av Churchill near the sea) in Santo Domingo that sells cartografic maps thats called Instituto Cartografica Dominicana. Some maps are a bit dated and they dont always have the one you are looking for. They sell hard copy and digital
Also try Mapas Gaar in the Zona Colonial in SD. Google for more info

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
No apology necessary. I can cover a lot of distance in a day. Much of the island off the main roads is completely unfamiliar to me. I'll keep looking but expect to find that my options are quite limited.

kts78

Nov 29, 2007
I bought a complete set of topo maps for the D.R. a few years back. $25 on Ebay if I remember correctly. I rarely use them when I go riding. Mostly just fill the tank and see where the trail goes.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Everyone can stop looking. I have found what I need.

The app looks interesting, but I really need a paper map. Something to be used in conjunction with a compass and a pencil. The old fallback for when the cell phone gets too wet after plunging into a puddle that turns out to be a sinkhole, the batteries die, when the tree cover obscures the gps satellites, when you need to whip out the magnifying glass and count contour lines because the gentle slope has turned into a precipice that in 20 minutes would be too dark to see.