Man arrested in Santiago for pointing laser at aircraft

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Man-arrested-in-Santiago-for-pointing-laser-at-aircraft.jpeg

Santo Domingo.? A man was arrested in Santiago de los Caballeros (center) while he was pointing a laser light into the cockpit of a commercial airliner that was landing at the local airport, the National Police said through its Twitter account but did not reveal the name of the man.

Last December 14 the Dominican Civil Aviation Institute (IDAC) released a statement where it talked about how dangerous these incidents are and said several pilots and airliners have complained so far.

When the beam hits the windscreen of a cockpit, or the bubble of a helicopter, imperfections in and on the glass spread the light out even more, harming the pilot and causing him or her to lose vision or focus during landing, potentially leading to a crash.

According to experts, the laser beam is much larger at long distances than people might think. Even though the laser projects a small, millimeter-sized dot close up, at longer distances the beam can be many inches across.

Source: DT

Dec 30, 2015

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Having lived here in Santiago for the last 6 months... doesn't surprise me at all. Their quest
for lighter skin and the amount of inbreeding has definitely taken its toll on these people.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
It is simply amazing the number of people who know that what they are about to do is stupid, with absolutely no upside for them, but choose to do it anyway.

Throw him in jail for a year, while the case is being "investigated", then sentence him to another year for being stupid.

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009
Having lived here in Santiago for the last 6 months... doesn't surprise me at all. Their quest
for lighter skin and the amount of inbreeding has definitely taken its toll on these people.

Seriously, why don't I see the shops selling whitening creams in the streets of Santiago?

Back on topic, what would he gain by pointing a laser at a plane? I don't see the point in doing this.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
It is simply amazing the number of people who know that what they are about to do is stupid, with absolutely no upside for them, but choose to do it anyway.

Throw him in jail for a year, while the case is being "investigated", then sentence him to another year for being stupid.

Trouble, is if you put all the people in jail for being stupid, you would soon run out of jail space. Perhaps you'd need an island to put them all on. Oh, hang on a minute, there already is one.....Hispanola!

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
just amazing the kinds of dumb things people do. We just had a cop fired in Houston because he taped paper over his personal car plate to avoid paying toll charges. To endanger lives in this fashion deserves the harshest penalty. I could have been on that plane!!

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
The more interesting thing were the comments online when it first came out. Some people were of the opinion that since nothing catastrophic came of it, that the guy shouldn't be arrested. So as always, people would prefer to put the lock on the door after they get robbed than take preventive measure to ensure it doesn't happen in the first place. Good for PN to set the example with this guy.