Black Flies

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Has anyone else noticed the extreme amount of black flies this year. They are almost unbearable. My wife tried a home remedy of apple cider vinegar and dawn soap but it didn't work.
Does anyone have any home remedies that have worked. Im getting pretty good with my electronic mosquito swatter and my hat but there has to be something better.
Thanks

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Why 'Off Topic" ?? Restricts your target audience

very RD.........
they come after the rains, I'm told.

we swat and spray.......... plus, screens on the kitchen

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
There is something called supona, sold in veterinarios, as in dr shops that sell animal related,stuff, not a vet-vet. ( ok thwt sounds confusing but i am sure u get the gist :) ).
I used it to kill off dog fleas in patio and garden ( it doesnt harm the plants..... much ).

Anyway it kills everthing, ants, flies, moths....and fleas as advertised obviously. It lingers on the ground/ walls a week or 2, i noticed cos i sweep the dead insects up.
U use a hand held bomba-thingy, diluted in water that is used to spray abono and stuff in conucos.

Disclaimer : i only use it outside, even if some people spray inside as well. But in the campo, dominicans ( lets add average to keep joe virgo happy ;) ), spray it from time to time in bedroom walls and in closets over the clothes ( yeah, yeah, i know ), to kill cienpies and other creepy crawlies, that have easy access through zinc roofs.
I am blessed to have screens and a bunch of dogs that kill anything that moves before they get in the house.

Jul 28, 2014
Has anyone else noticed the extreme amount of black flies this year. They are almost unbearable. My wife tried a home remedy of apple cider vinegar and dawn soap but it didn't work.
Does anyone have any home remedies that have worked. Im getting pretty good with my electronic mosquito swatter and my hat but there has to be something better.
Thanks

You looking to repel from the house, or your skin while outdoors?

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Very few in the house. Its the patio area. I will try what Malko mentioned. I have used Blade 25 around the terrace. Good for ants but the flies are driving me crazy.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Why 'Off Topic" ?? Restricts your target audience

very RD.........
they come after the rains, I'm told.

we swat and spray.......... plus, screens on the kitchen

I just happened to be in off topic when I posted it. If one of the mods thinks it should be moved that would be great.