DR scores high (103/167) again.

pgolivares

Apr 9, 2010
This one category where we, DR, do not want to score high... Corruption index (see below link)

Where do we start I ask myself. At the 5th grade level, with the parents, the politicos, the private sector? I have a suggestion, start with the banking system. Ensure there are policies (fraud, risk, compliance, etc) in place where deposits and payments can be traced to income, revenue, or legal transaction?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...international-does-its-best-and-thats-useful/

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
This one category where we, DR, do not want to score high... Corruption index (see below link)

Where do we start I ask myself. At the 5th grade level, with the parents, the politicos, the private sector? I have a suggestion, start with the banking system. Ensure there are policies (fraud, risk, compliance, etc) in place where deposits and payments can be traced to income, revenue, or legal transaction?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...international-does-its-best-and-thats-useful/

the fish rots from the head down. the zeitgeist of a society is set by its leadership. they set the tone. i need not say more.

if you want to understand how things got to where they did, just ask why it is that there is a law that demands financial disclosure documents by a certain date, everybody ignores it, and there are no consequences.

pgolivares

Apr 9, 2010
the fish rots from the head down. the zeitgeist of a society is set by its leadership. they set the tone. i need not say more.

if you want to understand how things got to where they did, just ask why it is that there is a law that demands financial disclosure documents by a certain date, everybody ignores it, and there are no consequences.

Say no m?s.

Let me see if I understand... I live in Gualey, get a govt position, 6 months later I have a mantion jeepetas go overseas food shopping on a monthly basis, all on a base salary RDP15k/month. And the banks don't question my source of income? Nice!! With that said, How can I go into a class room and tell, convince, the kids that honesty is the way to go, that in order to save the country they have to stop this madness. I'm trying but it's a long road ahead.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Perception of corruption is different than actual corruption. I spent the last five years of employment as a government watchdog overseeing a aircraft maintenance contract with L3 Communications. In countries like Canada, a well as many others, there are controls and procedures in place that make it more difficult to steal/bribe..... from the government, however nothing is Murphy proof. The controls in place and the enforcement of the law, and the punishment made it both difficult and undesirable to even make the attempt to steal or false bill but it still took due diligence to keep people honest.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Perception of corruption is different than actual corruption. I spent the last five years of employment as a government watchdog overseeing a aircraft maintenance contract with L3 Communications. In countries like Canada, a well as many others, there are controls and procedures in place that make it more difficult to steal/bribe..... from the government, however nothing is Murphy proof. The controls in place and the enforcement of the law, and the punishment made it both difficult and undesirable to even make the attempt to steal or false bill but it still took due diligence to keep people honest.

In the DR the actual corruption is higher than the perceived corruption.

pgolivares

Apr 9, 2010
I just don't get it. They, the govt higher ups, know where they come from. They themselves were poor once and in some cases not too long ago. It appears to me that the one goal everyone has us to get a govt job so that they can stay home and collect or go the office and enrich themselves by charging the common folks for services they have no business charging for, i.e. If I need a birth certificate I have to pay the front desk person, the director.....to go to back look at the register book and produce a new birth certificate. And forget about the gov people who control natural resources contracts or any other big industry.

Thank you DR1 for giving me an avenue to vent.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I just don't get it. They, the govt higher ups, know where they come from. They themselves were poor once and in some cases not too long ago. It appears to me that the one goal everyone has us to get a govt job so that they can stay home and collect or go the office and enrich themselves by charging the common folks for services they have no business charging for, i.e. If I need a birth certificate I have to pay the front desk person, the director.....to go to back look at the register book and produce a new birth certificate. And forget about the gov people who control natural resources contracts or any other big industry.

Thank you DR1 for giving me an avenue to vent.[/QUOTE

I HAVE USED THE JCE GOVERNMENT OFFICE TO GET COPIES OF MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE AND MY WIFE FOR BIRTH cERTIFICATE AND WE'VE NEVER PAID MORE THAN THE PRICE LISTED ON THEIR BOARD, SAME FOR PLICE REPORTS. I HAVE HOWEVER HAD TO PAY DOUBLE FOR LEGALIZATIONS in Santo Domingo.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013

Thank you DR1 for giving me an avenue to vent.[/QUOTE

I HAVE USED THE JCE GOVERNMENT OFFICE TO GET COPIES OF MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE AND MY WIFE FOR BIRTH cERTIFICATE AND WE'VE NEVER PAID MORE THAN THE PRICE LISTED ON THEIR BOARD, SAME FOR PLICE REPORTS. I HAVE HOWEVER HAD TO PAY DOUBLE FOR LEGALIZATIONS in Santo Domingo.

Ah yeah but they spinned that one as well...... i also pay the price listed on board......BUT name another country that demands a new/recent birthcertificate/marriagecertificate every single effin time..........
Also note that they issue a marriage certificate, then you need to get it legalizar....W.T.f ? Dont they even trust JCE ?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Ah yeah but they spinned that one as well...... i also pay the price listed on board......BUT name another country that demands a new/recent birthcertificate/marriagecertificate every single effin time..........
Also note that they issue a marriage certificate, then you need to get it legalizar....W.T.f ? Dont they even trust JCE ?

all these documents have to be passed from one department to another so each of the drones can get a piece of the pie. the whole process is still in the 17th century.

corruption and thievery is accepted, and par for the course. if you don?t steal, and have the chance to, you are a pendejo. in the USA, if you are a police sergeant, and you drive a new Corvette, Internal Affairs is going to give you a proper looking into. in the DR, if you were packing platanos in a bodega, get into politics, and in 6 months you are driving an Audi Q7, nobody bats an eyelid.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Not all Dominicans will lie, cheat or steal at the first given opportunity but a lot of them will.
No honor among thieves.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Not all Dominicans will lie, cheat or steal at the first given opportunity but a lot of them will.
No honor among thieves.

gave a ten year old kid in my apartment complex 100 pesos, and asked him to run over to the mini market and get me a pack of smokes. he came back with no change from the 100. i asked him what happened, because i planned to give him the 25 pesos as his fee. he told me that Claudia at the mart had no cigarettes, so he had to go to another colmado, where they were 100. of course, when i checked his story, it was all fiction.

i would like to know how he was that skilled at 10 years old. i guess momma taught him well.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015

I take a different view and look at the impact of corruption on a financial and human impact level. How does the impact of corruption in the DR compare to the recent corruption in the US financial industry and the appalling cost of the bailouts paid for by the US government? How does it compare to the loss of pensions and investments by US citizens, the resulting suicides, the resulting lack of proper medical coverage, the loss of their jobs and homes? I have no way of measuring this, but I suspect the DR impact is a lot less. Every country has corruption at some level including Canada and the USA. What really matters is how it affects you personally.

pgolivares

Apr 9, 2010

The birth certificate kills me. How many times am I going to be born. The doctors (I know there is another thread on this) is another. The sick can't be treated unless you have money to pay the bill and everything is an emergency that requires hospitalization, surgery, lab work, or something or another. And what a racket do the civil eng have. roads, bridges, etc. are built and a few years later are a complete mess, the draining system is non existent. No accountability at all. Translation, corruption. You got to love it. My father used to tell me 'you got to live in DR in order to know and understand the magnitude of the problem.). Propane gas tanks sold as 50 or 100 lbs and you know by the weight of the tank that it's only 3/4 full. That is another story where corruption is touching me. Somebody please. Help I need somebody help but not just anybody....

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I take a different view and look at the impact of corruption on a financial and human impact level. How does the impact of corruption in the DR compare to the recent corruption in the US financial industry and the appalling cost of the bailouts paid for by the US government? How does it compare to the loss of pensions and investments by US citizens, the resulting suicides, the resulting lack of proper medical coverage, the loss of their jobs and homes? I have no way of measuring this, but I suspect the DR impact is a lot less. Every country has corruption at some level including Canada and the USA. What really matters is how it affects you personally.

True to some degree all countries have one form of corruption or another. On very large scales for western countries.

But look at it this way, Mr and Ms average can have an appartment where rain water doesnt seep in, enjoy potable water out of the tap, constant electricity, they will get to travel on holiday from time to time, they can have a varied diet, their kids will have access to real education, etc.....
Whereas when 80 % of the population survives on beans, platanos, rice and chicken 7 days a week, well corruption seems all the more evil.

Decade in DR

Banned
Jan 28, 2016

Dominican Republic is the 3rd most corrupt Island in the Caribbean.

NEW YORK, NY, Weds. Jan. 27, 2015: Seven CARICOM nations have scored below 50 on the latest Transparency International Corruption Index released today, making them the most corrupt nations in the entire Caribbean according the latest Transparency International Corruption Index released this morning.

Here are the top 7 as complied by News Americas Now. Corruption is defined as comprising illegal activities, which are deliberately hidden and only come to light through scandals, investigations or prosecutions.

1: Haiti: With a low score of 17 on Transparency International?s Corruption Perceptions Index in 2015 compared to 19 in 2014, Haiti ranked as the most corrupt country in the Western Hemisphere. Haiti is a major narco-trafficking transshipment point according to the U.S. naro-reports. The dysfunctional judicial system is underfunded, inefficient, corrupt, and burdened by a large backlog of cases, outdated legal codes, and poor facilities according to the Heritage Foundations? 2015 Index of Economic Freedom.

2: Guyana: The South American nation of Guyana also dropped down the TI 2015 rank, coming in at 29 compared to 30 last year, making it the second most corrupt nation in the Caribbean. The cocaine trade has generated corruption and violence.

3: Dominican Republic: The Dominican Republic came in at three on the most corrupt scale, scoring a TI rank of 33, up from 32 in 2014. According to the Heritage Foundations? 2015 Index of Economic Freedom report, the judiciary in the DR is politicized and riddled with corruption, and the legal system offers little recourse to those who lack money or influence. Additionally, ?Corruption is still pervasive in the economy, exacerbated by drug trafficking in recent years.?

4: Suriname: The fourth most corrupt Caribbean nation is Suriname with a TI rank of 36. This former Dutch Caribbean territory actually retained its rank from 2014, showing no improvements. It is a country where the Heritage Foundations? 2015 Index of Economic Freedom report says the rule of law is undermined by a growing domestic drug trade that encourages corruption. Additionally, ?Organized crime and drug networks undermine governance and the judicial system.? Corruption is also most pervasive in government procurement, license issuance, land policy, and taxation, HF said.

RELATED: The Ten Most Corrupt Nations In The Americas

5: Trinidad & Tobago: The oil rich nation of Trinidad & Tobago came in at fifth on the most corrupt list across the Caribbean. It actually dropped on the TI rank for 2015, increasing to 39 from 38 in 2014. It is a place where HF says ?drug-related violence undermines the rule of law, and corruption has infiltrated the police force and increases the daily cost of living and corruption, much of it drug-related, diverts resources and damages the rule of law.? The HF report also found that the judicial branch is independent but subject to some political pressure and corruption.

6: Jamaica: Taking the sixth spot on the list of most corrupt Caribbean nations is Jamaica. It came in at 41 on the latest ranks, up from 38 in 2014. According to the Heritage Foundation, ?Jamaicans see corruption as a root cause of their high crime rate.? HF also says the government has yet to send a strong signal against corruption.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
True to some degree all countries have one form of corruption or another. On very large scales for western countries.

But look at it this way, Mr and Ms average can have an appartment where rain water doesnt seep in, enjoy potable water out of the tap, constant electricity, they will get to travel on holiday from time to time, they can have a varied diet, their kids will have access to real education, etc.....
Whereas when 80 % of the population survives on beans, platanos, rice and chicken 7 days a week, well corruption seems all the more evil.

Everything is relative, amigo. Aboriginals in Canada suffer from poor housing, lack of education, drug and alcohol problems, high suicide rates, and high spousal abuse rates. Primarily due to corruption within their own tribal councils and a concerted effort of cultural genocide by many federal governments over many decades. I've only been coming to the DR for six years and have had limited exposure to the government organizations here and would never claim to know about all the corruption here. Despite the level of corruption, I do see a rising middle class here. DR teachers have had significant pay raises. New schools are being built. Jobs are available to educated Dominicans. The government is punching away at electricity supply problems, poor infrastructure, and other social problems. This country has come a long way since Truillo, even though it required the intervention of the US military not once but twice to do it. Progress may be slow but there is progress. I guess I'm saying I'm looking at the glass as half full.