yaque del norte river

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
m9n1cm.jpg

http://acento.com.do/2016/ecologia/...-norte-muere-y-las-autoridades-no-reaccionan/

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
And people wonder why I refuse to eat fish caught in the rivers here?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
and people wonder why any jornada de fumigacion against zika mosquitoes will never work?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Uneducated pigs are doing this. But when we don't like it we can always go, right? :dead::bunny: One day they will suffocate in their garbage...

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Uneducated pigs are doing this. But when we don't like it we can always go, right? :dead::bunny: One day they will suffocate in their garbage...

The area I live is in on a hill top and was newly created when I moved here. One neighbor decided that the new sewage system was perfect for garbage disposal, removed the metal sewage plate and was throwing his bags of garbage down the new sewage system. It didn't take long before the new system was clogged up with the large bags of garbage.

The main pipes were about 20 feet deep and the garbage in the access pipe where he was throwing the garbage was up to street level. That's how he got caught.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros

If you don't know what you are looking at, it's misleading!

This particular picture was taken from a position where the river meet patches of overgrown vegetation and marsh at about 20 to 30 meters from its banks. There are several marshes there where once stood makeshift homes.

The way the picture was taken, makes it look like the actual river's main body of water its filled with the garbage. It's not!

The garbage comes down with the extra flow of rain water sipping down the banks into the river and carrying away most of the garbage left to rot by the same people that live in the surrounding area. This particular area is close to Baracoa and la Joya.

If you got doubts on this, just take a quick trip to the area and see it with your own eyes.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
The problems we have in our rivers got a name: Haitian migration to the DR.

It only takes on quick view of how Haitians carry on with their rivers and water bodies to see how they keep the same attitude here in the DR. Same goes for the families they procreate with Dominicans and the always mindless ignorant Dominicans that do this as well.

This has never been seen before in the DR!

But, this and other stuff will be taken care of as we clean out the immigration mess we had until nowadays.

Most displaced Haitians living and working odd jobs in the DR, live in makeshift homes in the woods, close to creeks and water. They don't have any plumbing or garbage service there.

Shanty towns are garbage dumps.

pgolivares

Apr 9, 2010
Pichardo, I can not believe what what I'm reading .... First you write that is the angle of the camera (I restated your comment in my own words) or that is not the entire river that is pulluted. No matter how you pitch it... That,my friend, is pollution. A little pollution or a lot, still pollution. Let's call it what it is. And then you state and I quote this time "Shanty towns are garbage dumps". My response to that is ... If the municipal gov'ts would only provide decent sanitation services both in turn of garbage pickup and sewer system people would not dump garbage in the streets or rivers. I had like 4-5 stars next to your name all because of the pics you posted about the old DR but with this last 2 comments I'm almost incline to take 1 star away. is this not another form of corruption where crimes to our natural resources go unpunished?

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
The problems we have in our rivers got a name: Haitian migration to the DR.

B.S.

Blame it on "anyone else" as usual.

"Everyone" in the D.R. is responsible, one sees it happening all the time.

(Except you, since you do not live here)

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
B.S.

Blame it on "anyone else" as usual.

"Everyone" in the D.R. is responsible, one sees it happening all the time.

(Except you, since you do not live here)

it is because there are Haitians in the DR that there is a garbage problem. Dominicans do not litter. they save all their soda bottles and candy wrappers in a plastic bag, and dispose of them when they see a dumpster.

yeaah...right.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Pichardo it matters not whether that is the main part of the river or not. Certainly the Haitians contribute to the street pollution but the majority of the pollution is done by Dominicans. Even when the streets are cleaned/swept a good deal of garbage goes into the storm sewers which go directly into the rivers. Our cleaner will clean in front of the school at 6 pm and by the morning the front area will be littered with plastic bottles, chip bags, candy wrappers, Styrofoam...etc, and in general Jarabacoa is cleaner than the average Dominican town.
If you ever slow down or stop just before La Sirena of the Autopisto in Santiago the smell of raw sewer from the creek there that runs into the Yaque will also incapacitate you. Pollution is a huge problem in the DR. tELL YOUR GOVERNMENT FRIENDS TO BUILD A CO-GENERATION PLANT OR TWO Instead of coal burners and burn all that garbage, melt the plastic into fence posts and pinic tables.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Pichardo it matters not whether that is the main part of the river or not. Certainly the Haitians contribute to the street pollution but the majority of the pollution is done by Dominicans. Even when the streets are cleaned/swept a good deal of garbage goes into the storm sewers which go directly into the rivers. Our cleaner will clean in front of the school at 6 pm and by the morning the front area will be littered with plastic bottles, chip bags, candy wrappers, Styrofoam...etc, and in general Jarabacoa is cleaner than the average Dominican town.
If you ever slow down or stop just before La Sirena of the Autopisto in Santiago the smell of raw sewer from the creek there that runs into the Yaque will also incapacitate you. Pollution is a huge problem in the DR. tELL YOUR GOVERNMENT FRIENDS TO BUILD A CO-GENERATION PLANT OR TWO Instead of coal burners and burn all that garbage, melt the plastic into fence posts and pinic tables.

Very good post Bob. Dead on.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003

Creeks will smell due to compost (naturally occurring).

Dominicans do their share of pollution (as I noted) but never has the problem reach what we have today.

This is a 70% Haitian imported problem. The poorer the worst the habits.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Dominicans do their share of pollution (as I noted) but never has the problem reach what we have today.

Trust me, the smell in Santiago is not compost. I've spent my whole life around compost and know the difference. It is not a 70% Haitian created problem. That's a cop-out, and as far the poor living in an environment filled with garbage true enough in most circumstances, but those guys and gals driving by in their Prados produce lots of garbage and don't hestitate to throw it out the window.

pgolivares

Apr 9, 2010

Question: how can we blame a small segment of the population on an issue that is so wide spread? Are you suggesting that 10% of the population causes 70% of the problem. Let's take ownership of our problem, live by example and not blame immigrants, like what's happening to some extent in the US. It is easy to blame others, for our shortfalls. My mother, similar to the other thread 'nudist garbage...', organized a clean the streets event in our bario and today our streets, at the least the ones near our house, are clean. Pichardo, it sounds to me as if you have the power, for lack of a better word, to influence at least your friends, to clean the streets. Before this thread started I was thinking of organizing a 'let's clean our streams' event somewhere, maybe start in 'el 28'. But I tell you every time I think of it I say to myself, ok we clean this stream but I'm not really attacking the problem at its source, i.e. The people do not have a place to dump their garbage other than the stream, is there? No. So, who can help get a couple of garbage trucks out to all of Pedro Brand area on a regular and consistent basis? In short, Haitians, as I see it, are not the problem. We are.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Question: how can we blame a small segment of the population on an issue that is so wide spread? Are you suggesting that 10% of the population causes 70% of the problem. Let's take ownership of our problem, live by example and not blame immigrants, like what's happening to some extent in the US. It is easy to blame others, for our shortfalls. My mother, similar to the other thread 'nudist garbage...', organized a clean the streets event in our bario and today our streets, at the least the ones near our house, are clean. Pichardo, it sounds to me as if you have the power, for lack of a better word, to influence at least your friends, to clean the streets. Before this thread started I was thinking of organizing a 'let's clean our streams' event somewhere, maybe start in 'el 28'. But I tell you every time I think of it I say to myself, ok we clean this stream but I'm not really attacking the problem at its source, i.e. The people do not have a place to dump their garbage other than the stream, is there? No. So, who can help get a couple of garbage trucks out to all of Pedro Brand area on a regular and consistent basis? In short, Haitians, as I see it, are not the problem. We are.

Because nowadays most Dominican families live away from the river bank and creeks.
For Haitians it's only natural to live close to the only source of water they can get for a makeshift home.
Take a look at how the majority of the Haitian population (lesser economic classes) dispose of their garbage back in Haiti. What makes you think they will do any other way on this side of the island?

Co-out? Me? Nahhh! I clearly stated Dominicans also pollute, but these levels are not ours.

But don't worry! We are on the way to fix it!

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Trust me, the smell in Santiago is not compost. I've spent my whole life around compost and know the difference. It is not a 70% Haitian created problem. That's a cop-out, and as far the poor living in an environment filled with garbage true enough in most circumstances, but those guys and gals driving by in their Prados produce lots of garbage and don't hestitate to throw it out the window.

It's mostly compost (natural). It's a very putrid smell. It's different to what you are used to when doing your own compost in the back yard, as this is mainly happening via water concentration. It's a sewer smell.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Migraci?n to be issued new detection tools

Effected immediately, all agents will be issued packs of bubble gum.

Un-documented persons found on the street will be given a stick of gum.
If they throw the wrapper on the ground, they will be classified as Haitian.

We extend our wholehearted thanks to Pichardo for this ingenious and priceless tool.

banzai

Aug 16, 2013
Put a substantial deposit on plastic bottles and/or anything else that can be recycled. The national brewery is a good example.
I visited the brewery back in the late 90's (yes I know, times change) and it was reported that 80-85% of their bottles
were recycled and that it was considerably cheaper to recycle than have Corning produce new ones. I'm sure someone will
build plants to utilize the collected items and put some of the population to employment.